General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aerobar shifters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-28 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: aerobar shifters

As I have been riding more and more, I am using my aero bars more and more. Now I normally use my aerobars 90% of the  time. I have clip on that the pads flip up and down. I am hoping that I can get the arm pads to stay down since when I have to shift I have to lift my arm up and over. The type of aerobars I have I can put on shifters on the end...what do you think? How much do you think it would cost? How does that compare to just getting the built in aerobar set up handlebars?

I have a Softride Qualifer that I love...I saw the same bike/size on ebay awhile back set up as a Tri bike with Ultegra and I thought that it maybe a better move to buy a second bike than alter the one I have...comparing cost vs benefits. Then I could have one as a road bike and another more as a Tri bike...difference would be handlebars only really and perhaps one I would ride in crappy weather more than the other. But if I don't change the shifters that I have now will I have gained anything.

Those of you that have two bikes...road and tri...do you ride in aero position on your road bike? Any suggestions, thoughts or input would be great.

2005-06-28 10:16 PM
in reply to: #185979

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: aerobar shifters
I have aerobars where the pads flip up also and have the gear shifters moved from the down bar to the end of the aerobars. Still getting used the being in the aero position on my trainer, but having the shifters out front has been great.last summer, when the shifters were still on the down bar I was on the aerobars and reached down to shift, when I came back up I pulled a sharp swerve to the left. Had any cars been coming up behind me I would have been hit. Therefore had the shifters moved and it was such a quick thing for the LBS to do that I think I was just charged with the kit to make the change, and that was maybe $25 or so.

Edited by tupuppy 2005-06-28 10:40 PM
2005-06-28 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Those sound like Profile Airstykes... is that correct?

If so, well I would highly recomend that you don't use the shifters that are designed for the single piece bars... they don't hold a shift well... and, come loose very easily.

I would use the Airstrykes arm padding system and mount the profile split second bars instead... then, mount the 2 bar end shifters on each of the split bars. That is a far supperior and reliable shifting system.

FWIW Joe Moya

In fact, I think they may make a split second version that has flip up pads...

Edited by Joe M 2005-06-28 10:24 PM
2005-06-28 10:21 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
seems like I checked on this a while back.  Cost will vary.  Estimate for my bike was about $140.  Had to replace the shifters as well, so there was a little move involved.  I've had other people get it done for about $125 or so.
2005-06-28 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
"Those of you that have two bikes...road and tri...do you ride in aero position on your road bike? Any suggestions, thoughts or input would be great."

Nope... those are two different bikes for a different purpose. You can't just put a pair of aerobars on a road bike without refitting the bike... unless you want have some sort of repetative use injury.

FWIW Joe Moya
2005-06-29 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I have Profile Design Split Second AL aerobars. I have an email in to my LBS to get a cost estimate on changing them over.

I almost knocked myself over in a race....didn't lift my left arm up enough to go over the flipped up pad when shifting..knocked it hard and my bike did a little swerve...scared me a bit. I absolutely want to get those things fixed down ...other stuff changes are optional.

Joe...I'm not sure I understand the difference between the kind you recommend vs. not recommend....I'll ask when I talk with the LBS. Thanks everyone for you input!

2005-06-29 10:29 PM
in reply to: #186246

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
If you have the split second profiles... then the only way to mount the shifters are on the aero-bar ends... This is good.

Joe Moya

This is a picture of what you don't want to use to mount your shifters...

http://www.profile-design.com/product_pages/acc_swiftshift.html
2005-06-30 12:20 AM
in reply to: #186859

User image

Joe M - 2005-06-29 8:29 PMIf you have the split second profiles... then the only way to mount the shifters are on the aero-bar ends... This is good.Joe MoyaThis is a picture of what you don't want to use to mount your shifters...http://www.profile-design.com/product_pages/acc_swiftshift.html

Joe - why not?

Chris
2005-06-30 6:33 AM
in reply to: #186905

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
If you look at how the shifter is attached, you'll see that it uses a single center mounted screw to hold it at the top of the aero-bars. When shifting gears, you are constantly moving the lever on the right (and, to a lesser degree the one on the left - front chain ring).

This constant one sided shifting results in a torque like action on one side of the shifter attachment. Since only one screw holds the shifter attachment in the middle, there is not much support to keep the shifter from coming loose and eventually rotating (twisting) the shiifter mounting device.

When this twisting occurs, the cables are slightly extented or shorten (depending on whether or not your pulling up or down on the shifting lever). This resulting extending and shorting of the shifting cables does not allow the gears to shift very well. And if you the screw comes significantly loose, you may not be able to shift the gears at all. This is what happened to me at Wildflower a few years back... now, try and do about 1/3 of that hilly course without being able to shift gears... that was tough. In essense, I always had problems with this shifting attachment.

Bascially, this gear shifting attachment is very problematic and has a pretty short lifespan because of that single screw attachment located at the top. What they need is a double screw like attachment at the top and a sturdier bracket system. Or, something that would prevent the shifting attachment from twisting when you shift (specially true if it comes loose - which is always does eventually). IMO, it's not a well designed shifting attachment.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-06-30 6:43 AM
2005-06-30 6:43 AM
in reply to: #186950

User image

Expert
The High Plains

Joe-

Could you just put a locking washer or reverse threaded nut on the end of the screw?  It seems to me like that would eliminate the problem of the whole shifter mechanism coming loose?

I've got the PD Airstryke aerobars and have considered this upgrade as well.  Actually, I've considered the upgrade of just buying a tri specific bike, but that won't be for at least a few months...

SR

2005-06-30 6:53 AM
in reply to: #186953

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Yep, I could.. but, why would I want to go throught that much trouble when Split Second aero-bar with shift lever mounted on the ends works so much better. Since I switched, the end mounted shifters have been absolutely no hassle when I compare it to the profile shifter attachment. It's been 2 yrs. with the end shifter and not one hassle. Plus, the gears shift sooo much better and consistantly.

Besides that, it's not just the single screw mounting issue that is a problem... the whole device is a bit flimsy and easily torques when you apply pressure. This typically results in a lot of mis-shifts and requires a lot of constant adjusting of the shifting cables. IMO, It's just not a reliable shifting attachment.

Joe Moya

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aerobar shifters Rss Feed