Temecula Sunrise Rotary Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 50s
Overall Rank = 42/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast and coffee and waiting for Connie to get ready to head to the race site. The 10K didn't start until 8:45 so it wasn't an early rush.
Event warmup:

Just a walk to the start and around the race finish area.
Run
  • 57m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I am in town on business and I see a sign along the road in front of my hotel for the race. I went to the races website and decide to sign up. The more I read on active's comment section for the race and hear listening to the other runners, this is going to be challenging. I don't do any trail running training, and I do much better at downhills than I do uphills, so the goal is to try and maintain a steady pace at or below 10 minute miles. At the start I just move with the crowd, it starts out up a hill, so it is a reasonable starting pace. After maybe a quarter mile we turn into the vineyards. From there it is up hill one row and down hill the next, repeat. None of the uphills are easy and the down hills are challenging due to the sand and washed out areas. Surprised that after the first 2 miles I am right at 9 minute miles, then the 3rd mile really hits the steep hill, I slow to 9:42. There was also the second water stop and I walk to get a good drink as the sun was beating down pretty good.
Miles 4 and 5 turn away from the hill and back towards the winery and when we re-enter the vineyards it is fairly flat, although there are a lot of critter holes that you have to watch to avoid serious ankle issues. I manage to turn my ankles several times, but none serious enough to create long term issues.
Final mile has a fairly long, but not as steep climb before the final downhill to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I did this for fun and it was!!
Post race
Warm down:

I found Connie and grabbed some water and oranges and found a shady spot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have never done much running in sands or trails.

Event comments:

Very well run race with plenty of water stations and post race refreshments! Race announce at the finish does a very good job of making the race seem bigger than it is!
If you can handle the course, I would recommend this even with the higher price tag!

Last updated: 2010-05-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:50 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 42/
Performance: Good
Course: Up and down the vineyard rows over hilly terrain in mostly a sand based soil. Very challeneging course!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-09 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Run Through The Vineyards

2010-05-09 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2846833

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Run Through The Vineyards
This sounds like a really fun race venue! Congrats on pacing well for not doing any trail running ....and managing to not damage the ankles that part is awesome
2010-05-09 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Nice race at a nice pace!  Glad you didn't fall flat on your face!
2010-05-10 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Sounds like a fun race!

2010-05-10 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston

Nicely done Ken, trails are a very different type of running, glad the ankles held up, you did good !!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Through The Vineyards Rss Feed