Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 43m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well technically this is a DNF as there is no official aquabike. I have been struggling with achilles tendinitis and sore ankle, a calf injury and a sore hip. Hip is from a bike crash 3 weeks ago the rest of its kindof chronic excpet the ankle which is about 4 weeks ago. All in all I am a mess, have not been able to train the run and would rather be healthy for IMFL than anything else. I admit I purchased some new shoes that I love and am dying to try out and put them in transition with socks. I said if my achilles didn't hurt AT ALL off the bike I would try the run. It was a BIG if but I figured I'd give myself a chance.

We got up and did the transition thing then went back to the condo and ate. Got our wetsuits on and walked to the start.
Event warmup:

NONE
Swim
  • 43m 45s
  • 2150 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was 13/57 in the W40-44 age group. Only 5 people were under 40 minutes. Yes the conditions were THAT BAD. It was ridiculously windy and wavey. 4-5 foot surf. It would just pick you up and toss you down. The GCT slam down. Worse than IMFL 2006. All I can say is I am thankful I didn't have to get in for a second loop.

I was trying to be aggressive but it was tough in those conditions. I had to roll almost onto my side to be able to get my head out of the water to get a breath. Was breathing every other stroke. It was very hard to sightbut thats the one thing I actually did really really well despite the fact it was difficult to see the buoys. FINALLY made it to the turn a was quick across the 250 yards at the top. I think it was harder getting out than in. I sighted well and caught some waves coming in. SO diffferent from IMFL with it being a wave start and 1500 less bodies in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim in a wave pool? Given the conditions I'll take it.
Transition 1
  • 05m 32s
Comments:

Ok so I walk up the sand, and then I figure well maybe I should run a little and PRETEND this is a race or something. So I am running thru the parking lot and was like OUCH I stepped on something. I looked and thought I had something in my foot, stopped again picked at it. Got to my spot where the biotch next to mee had put ALL her stuff on top of mine. Her socks were in my bike helmet. WTF? So I toss it back on her space and put on my glasses which immediately fog up. got suit off easily, I'm trying to look at my foot and there is something in my foot and pick at it a bit before giving up and saying screw it. Did the classic Ott pee in transition secretly hoping it landed on biotches socks put my helmet on tried to de-fog my glasses but then the lens fell out. Got them back together but gave up on the fogginess. Geez o pete not a stellar T1

Not step on glass. Not let my glasses fall apart. Ridiculously slow
Bike
  • 2h 54m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

15/57 W40-44. I feel like I nailed this. First HIM bike under 3 hours. Course different than IMFL. Go right out of transition for a 6ish mile out and back and knew I had a tailwind, which although it meant I'd soon be into a head wind I was OK with it as I knew I'd have tailwind the last 10 miles home.

I spent the next 10 miles fighting the crosswinds more than anything. I am OK in a head wind but was twitchy in the cross winds coming off the beach. Wanted to take my little Roo right out from under me. Was thankful to make a turn and be out of cross winds andpick it up some.

Slow up over the bridge and was twtichy coming down the other side. Turned right for an out and back and had gone 18.7 miles in the first hour, which given that I was going 15-16 at times with the cross winds I was good with that speed. Hit 20 miles in 1:03 Was hoping to not let Jeff or Pete pass me as they started behind me but I was not sure how far behind me.

Seemed like we had a tailwind out with some false flats both up and down hill. Could appreciate that better on the way back. It was really more cross windy than anything and held a nice pace. I was pushing myself hard and a bunch of things were sore in my legs. Kept telling myself I didn't have to run so to push hard. Made the turn around and headed back, thankful that I wasn't into a bad head wind. Made it to 40 miles before 2:03 which meant I had averaged OVER 20 MPH that second hour so I was pleased and fairly confident I could break 3 hours.

Kept up my pace nicely and I think I actually went up and over the bridge faster on the way back. Knee, ankle, achilles and hammy were all hurting but kept up my "I don't have to run" mantra. Made the left to continue along the beach which was tailwind with gusts of cross wind. I was riding up with a death grip on the handle bars and pulling 20-21 trying hard to stay up right. I was holding on so hard I tried to shift and couldn't do it because my thumb had gone numb. Made the turn onto S. Thomas drive and into transition. Stopped my watch

Be lighter, be less tentative in cross winds and on turns. NOT WRECK MY BIKE 3 weeks prior to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the rack and just took my time. Racked my bike, put socks and shoes on and took my timing chip off. I actually started walking to the volunteer tent to turn it in and thought "WOW my legs really dont' feel too bad maybe I should try the run" then my foot started hurting and I was like 'Oh yeah I got something in my foot" Turned in my chip and took my stuff back to the condo. Showered, dug a piece of glass out of my foot, which actually was not easy, and did my phone calling/texting to people so they would know I was alive and not running. Called Melissa(TriHardAthena) and went outside to watch the race with her. Hung out and had some pizza with the other Melissa when she finished and then I found Pete who had some difficulties I helped him with then saw Jeff. I had lost Melissa by this point so I just went back to the condo. She and Jackie came back and we had some beers and went up to Melissa's unit for more beer and laughs. Pete joined us and we went to the athlete's dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Waves, Wind, Injuries

Event comments:

This was a good effort in less than desirable conditions. The swim was brutal. No two ways about it. Did the best I could. I am very happy with my bike and learned some things. Doing my best to get over the injuries. Would have liked to do the whole race but is what it is.

Last updated: 2010-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:45 | 2150 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: rectangle
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:32
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:54:16 | 56 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-09 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Gulf Coast

2010-05-09 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2847217

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast
Remind me to never leave my socks/chit near your chit. :D

Sounds like you had a great race! Awesome swimming in those conditions. Smart call on the plan to kill the run.

Congrats, Sue!
2010-05-09 8:40 PM

User image

The next T1 photo I grab of you is going to be a keeper

Way to nail it and I am very impressed by your swim in those conditions.  Swimming in water like that has got to be frightening.  Great job!
2010-05-09 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on a tough day! Good call on skipping the run, it sucked anyways.
2010-05-10 5:33 AM

Uxbridge
First in the Aquabike!!!!!! Sounds like a very tough swim!!!! Glad you went and had some fun!
2010-05-10 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Very solid race....you were in top 25% of swim and bike..tough conditions but you conquered it well.

I hope you heal up so running isn't quite as painful.

Congrats!

2010-05-10 7:19 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Good job on the race!
With rough water like that I would sure get seasick.  Might as well swim "under water" to be a little more stable. 
Fast bike as always! 
2010-05-10 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Excellent discipline in sticking to the aquabike plan!
2010-05-10 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Nice job on the swim and bike.  Good call on not doing the run and risking screwing up IMFL.  Descretion is the better part of valor. 

Mark

2010-05-10 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Awesome job!
2010-05-10 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Awesome race you did considering all the conditions you faced. I guess it would take a glass shard to stop someone as hard working as you - sounds like the beers and spectating (and helping other folks) was more fun anyway.

Hope you heal quickly, and enjoy the next race!

2010-05-10 7:58 PM

User image

Elite
SE
very impressive socks!
2010-05-11 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Congrats on a great Aquabike!! I would kill for a bike split like that!!..sorry the swim was unpleasant conditions but still you smoked the your field!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Rss Feed