General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diagnose me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-10 10:42 AM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Subject: Diagnose me
I competed in a sprint triathlon this Saturday, my first of the season.  I've been training since February, and it's my third year of triathlon.  I don't keep my logs here on BT, but I lurk quite regularly.

I was hoping someone could diagnose my triathlon for me.  750m swim, 20k bike, and 5k run.  Swim felt great, bike was slow to start but felt great after mile 3, and run felt long, but I felt strong.  However, about 0.5 mile into the run, I got chills.  I had goosebumps on my arms and could feel the hair on my head standing on end.  I have never experienced anything like it.  I didn't feel cold, just had the skin reaction as though it were freezing outside.  I had almost a full 20 oz. bottle of water on the bike, was well hydrated before the race, and took water at the first aid station right out of T2, drinking half the cup and pouring half over my head.  At about 1.2 miles I took a bottle of water and poured the majority over me.  The course was well shaded and the outside tempt was only about 80, maybe 85.  I had a sloshy feeling so I didn't drink any more water, but the chills lasted through the finish, at which point they disappeared after some rest in the shade.  What happened??

After the race, that evening, I felt a weird tightness behind my knee, as though the tendon going through the back inside side of my knee had been overextended.  The pain worsened over night and still persist today, though it is much better thanks to icing and icy hot.  Any idea what I did to my knee?  It's only the left one, and only hurts when I am actively bending the knee, not when its stationary or outstretched.

Thanks for your ideas!

2010-05-10 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2848367

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Diagnose me
You might get more response if you posted this in the Injuries and Health Issues forum.

Not sure what caused your issues.
2010-05-10 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I am NOT a doctor.  I do live in an area where heat exhaustion is a regular occurrence.  Goosebumps and chills are often an early warning sign.  The fact that it got better when you cooled down is another hint. Be careful if you start to feel that way again.  Heat exhaustion can lead to very nasty problems.

No idea about the knee.  I hope it feels better soon!
2010-05-10 1:09 PM

User image

I have no idea about the chills/goose bumps. Almost sounds like an allergic reaction.

You might consider getting a pro fitting on the bike. The knee thing sounds a lot like a saddle height problem.
2010-05-10 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
I can relate that to the way I start to feel when I am on my way out....close to bonking. I've noticed a few times and been able to save it. I get really cold and chills start to form. Not sure if that is what happened to you, but it sounds very similar to the way I feel.
2010-05-10 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Not a doctor, but chills in the heat are a classic sign of heat exhaustion.

Could be your salt or electrolytes were too low if you were only taking water.

2010-05-10 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
I get the goose bumps from time to time. I think it is a sign of over heating. Ir normally goes away by slowing down and drinking some Gatorade. Now that I think of it, I have not gotten it in a while. Maybe I am eating and hydrating better :-)

Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diagnose me Rss Feed