United States
Set-Up, Inc.
94F / 34C
Total Time = 7h 24m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44 (no ws)
Age Group Rank = 18/30
Event warmup:

Stood on the pier and watched the other waves go off. Tried to memorize the course. The sun was directly in our eyes at the start so I tried to figure out what to sight off of. Got in and swam around a little with two waves to go.
Swim
  • 47m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wetsuits weren't legal for this race. Many people choose to DQ and race with them anyway. This was my first non-wetsuit swim of the season. It has been too cold at the lake I practice at to swim without a wetsuit. I need to stay mentally tough and not think about that too much. I have come a long way on the swim. There was a lot of contact and choppy conditions to contend with. I had one person in a wetsuit continue to run into to me. Their sighting was terrible and they kept zig zagging in front of me. I couldn't quite shake her and I know I lost a minute or two having to stop and get her out of my way. I have never had that before. I did draft a little on this race, really for the first time. I am really learning a lot about racing in the open water. Several people who raced last year said their times were 6 minutes longer. Maybe it was measured a little long??
What would you do differently?:

I think I would have tried to sprint past the wetsuit girl. I was afraid to push it and be exhausted but I think getting away from her would have really helped me get into a rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I knew this would be a LONG transition. I broke my orthotics about two weeks before the race and had to tape my feet before the run in order to avoid a stress fracture. I figured after the swim was better than after the bike. My feet were covered with sand and grass so I had to wipe them down before I could tape them. I also reapplied sunscreen which I was later glad for.

not a thing
Bike
  • 3h 39m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I am really weak on the bike. I am especially weak on flats. I am a better climber. We decided to do this course because of the swim. Having to use the same muscles over and over with no change was BRUTAL. Speaking of brutal, the wind never really let up. I read that there would be about 25 miles of headwinds. It was nearly the whole race. The first 10 miles I was averaging about 18-20 with little effort. Once the wind started, I was sometimes going 12! I ran over a snake around mile 20. I also stopped to help my training buddy who flatted around that same distance. I lost about 7-10 minutes helping her. I did do a decent job keeping hydrated and getting some calories in. Having not trained in the heat this year, it was a lot of guess and go.

I know the bike would be hard for me. The heat, wind and no hills wasn't well suited for me. I came in way down at the bottom of my age group. I need to spend more time in aero getting comfortable, even with the gusts. My cadence is pretty slow too.I know I need to work on that.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was SO thrilled to get off the bike but I saw the runners on the course and knew that it was going to be HELL out there. My feet were in agony on the bike so they were immediately happy to be in running shoes. Rolled my bike in and wrapped my mind about the task at hand. My legs really didn't feel all that badly.
Run
  • 2h 51m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy Cow! I believe that will be the toughest HM I will ever run. I have run 3 trail HM with at least 12,000 of elevation and consider this flat run by far the hardest. It was 35 minutes longer than my trail half I completed two weeks before. I am not sure I would call this a run really. It was a survival shuffle. It took me 1 hour to do the first 4 miles. The first 2 were so brutal that, for the first time, I wondered if I could even finish it walking. I knew then that all my time goals had to be ignored. It was about finishing now. Once I got into my ice routine, things got better. I filled my bra with ice at every station that had it. I soaked my light tank in the ice water and threw it on my back. I grabbed and ice towel and put it on my head. I alternated drinking Heed and water at every other station. I spent ALOT of time at every station. I know this was part of what killed my time. I really believe if I hadn't I wouldn't have finished. Around mile 4 I started to have a little fun. Crazy in the head fun but fun no less. I started handing ice out to people who looked like they really needed it between stations. I would pull ice chips out of my tri top and you would have thought I had given them gold coins. Not one persons turned down my ice. :) The ice in my top made a little clanking rhythm. It helped me along. One lady that I leap frogged with called my "Jingle Bells". Another liked my "Ice Chest". I called myself the "Ice Fairy". I had an angel on the course. I called him Mr. Starbucks. He had a Starbucks shirt on. I thought he was working the course but he was pacing his friend on his mountain bike and offering support to the runners. He was a source of entertainment and encouragement through out the race. At mile 11 he made sure they had a Coke out for me (I couldn't find one at the other stations). It was a wonderful gift and the reason I was able to pick it up a little on the last two miles.

Today- was about the climate. I think I did a pretty decent job with nutrition considering we had trained in ANY heat this year. I am knowing more and more about my body and what it needs. I stayed tough mentally. The time doesn't really reflect the effort it took to cross the line. Heat training is really the only thing that I think would have made a difference.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bag of salty chips and a soda at the finish line. Meet up my training buddies who had finished ages earlier but were feeling really rough. Later we waded around in the lake and showered in the cold only showers! Found Mr. Starbuks and thanked him for his support on the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack heat training.

Event comments:

I will not do this course again. If you like the heat and are fast on the flats, this is the race for you. The lake was beautiful but not enough to make me go through the heat of this course. I heard it called "White Bake", they weren't kidding. The recycled ice towels were pretty nasty. At one station the young volunteers had started to fill the drinking cups with towel water. NASTY! I am sorry that I spent 6 months training to race in these conditions and still am left wondering what I could do if it had been cooler. In the end I did complete a 70.3. I am proud of that.

Last updated: 2010-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:20 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no suit
Course: A bit of a rectangle with two long sides starting and ending at different piers.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:39:13 | 56 miles | 15.33 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: A large circle around the lake (which you rarely see) in the countryside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:51:00 | 13.1 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back loop. A very narrow section of the highway was blocked off my cones. The good thing for me was a bumpy and uneven but grassy section for most of the course. I ran on that instead of the concrete for many miles.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 4:28 PM

User image

Subject: White Lake Half II

2010-05-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2849501

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: RE: White Lake Half II

True all dat.  Great job on a hard day!  I think I saw you on the run course with your jangle ice bra!  I also got good juju from Mr. Starbucks...when I saw him he was collecting towels and putting them in piles.  My first 1/2 IM too and it made me feel like a wuss.

2010-05-10 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2849586

User image

Subject: RE: White Lake Half II

So Mr. Starbucks was an angel to many. He was great after the race too. Amazing what a little encouragement can do for those that were struggling. I have to think that my next half will be a little kinder, maybe. Congrats to you too! Only those who have done this course can really appreciate what it took to finish this thing. My hats off to those that were able to nail it in these conditions!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half II Rss Feed