Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Life Insurance Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2870409

Veteran
Subject: RE: Life Insurance Question
brynn - 2010-05-20 9:37 AM

I agree that there are some times when whole life insurance is good/necessary for estate planning. But I would say for 95+% of all people, whole life insurance is a waste of money. I don't know a whole lot about the benefits of using a whole life policy because I'm not that wealthy yet so I've never had to look into it! Maybe someday though! I do listen to Dave Ramsey and he says generally the same thing, that it can be used but it should be after all other avenues are used (maxing out contributions to ROTHs etc.). ETA: Also wanted to add that I have seen people who are kinda rich, but not super rich, try to use whole life insurance policies as investments/estate planning. They pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in premiums each year for policies worth millions of dollars...then they get freaked out because their COI is so high (literally thousands of dollars each month) that it is depleting their "investment" much faster than their "financial adviser" (who makes thousands of dollars of commission every time his clients make a premium payment!) told them. They stop paying premiums, and within a year or two their policies are worth zero and lapse...and they lose all the money they "invested". So...just be very, very careful. It's so important to have a good financial adviser that knows what he is doing. It never hurts to get a second or third opinion. Google your FA before you give him any money...that alone should tell you if there are complaints against him.

Excellent points Brynn.  Even when creating these ILITs for my clients, I use guaranteed (not-variable) universal life, not whole life.  Also, to fund it we might use an inefficient source of money (inefficiency lies in the tax ramifications of passing it down), like IRAs, and within those IRAs we try to use a guaranteed source of funds that will not force clients to use other assets to pay for the life insurance policy...afterall, what good have I done if I sacrifice retirement for efficient estate planning.  Cost is a huge concern of mine when planning for clients...and certain people should not get involved in the more complicated financial products...but certain "advisors" also are not as honest with others and themselves as they need to be.  Using BrokerCheck on the FINRA website is a great tool to make sure that your advisor has not had certain types of complaints/judgments/arrests as well.  It will also tell you their licenses and designations.

Edited by crazyyella 2010-05-20 10:27 AM

2010-05-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2851544

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-20 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2870931

2010-05-21 10:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Stoughton, WI
If you are wealthy, then why do you need life insurance? Just because?
I plan to be comfortably well off when my term life runs out. By then, I'll be paying long term care (not disability) insurance (aka nursing home insurance), but at a higher price than term. That protects my assets.

2010-05-21 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2873807

2010-05-21 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2873822

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Sharyn5 - 2010-05-21 11:59 AM
rcav8r - 2010-05-21 11:54 AM If you are wealthy, then why do you need life insurance? Just because?
I plan to be comfortably well off when my term life runs out. By then, I'll be paying long term care (not disability) insurance (aka nursing home insurance), but at a higher price than term. That protects my assets.

Because those left behind will have to pay the estate taxes...which is why life insurance is a good vehicle for loved ones having to still maintain the lifestyle they are accustomed to, after their loved one dies. Life insurance isn't taxed...and if say a stay at home mom hasn't worked in ages, and her wealthy husband dies...she'll have to pay the estate taxes and liquidate the assets just to live...she needs liquid income, and life insurance will give her that. I say ''her,'' but that's just one example of why someone wealthy would need it. Most other vehicles will be taxed or tax deferred.

See this is why you will do fine on your test.

2010-05-21 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2873890

2010-05-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2873807

rcav8r - 2010-05-21 8:54 AM If you are wealthy, then why do you need life insurance? Just because?

If you coule get a $1.00 for 50 cents would you do it?

2010-05-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2874484

Extreme Veteran
crusevegas - 2010-05-21 2:09 PM

rcav8r - 2010-05-21 8:54 AM If you are wealthy, then why do you need life insurance? Just because?

But it's not really getting $1.00 for 50 cents. It is, if you don't look at the time value of money. Example: It costs me $77 per month to purchase a whole life policy worth $100,000. I am 27 years old. Let's say I live until the average death age, which I think is like 76 or 77? So that's 50 years. If I pay $77 per month for 50 years, that is $46,200. And then my beneficiaries get $100,000 when I die. Not a bad investment...except that if I invested that same money at 10%, in 50 years I would have over a million dollars. Even if they had to pay 50% income tax on that, they are still $400,000 ahead than they would be if all they got was my $100,000 life insurance policy. I'm just sayin'! But to each their own.
2010-05-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2874585

2010-05-21 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2874585

brynn - 2010-05-21 12:41 PM
crusevegas - 2010-05-21 2:09 PM

But it's not really getting $1.00 for 50 cents. It is, if you don't look at the time value of money. Example: It costs me $77 per month to purchase a whole life policy worth $100,000. I am 27 years old. Let's say I live until the average death age, which I think is like 76 or 77? So that's 50 years. If I pay $77 per month for 50 years, that is $46,200. And then my beneficiaries get $100,000 when I die. Not a bad investment...except that if I invested that same money at 10%, in 50 years I would have over a million dollars. Even if they had to pay 50% income tax on that, they are still $400,000 ahead than they would be if all they got was my $100,000 life insurance policy. I'm just sayin'! But to each their own.

That wasn't my point at all.

I was referring to the value of a life insurance dollar compared to other assests in an estate to pay death/estate taxes.

The 50 cents for a $1.00 is more of a concept than an exact percentage.

A couple of points on estate taxes, when a person of considerable wealth dies estate taxes are due in a short period of time. If the bulk of your estate is NOT liquid you may have to sell of valuable assest for a discount to get the liquidity to pay Uncle Sam. If you want to guarantee liquidity for your heirs to pay the estate tax, life insuarance is a good vehicle to fund it with. If you are going to buy life insuarnce and you think you will need it until you die at an old age then term insurance is a BAD way to spend the money. While it is dirt cheap when you are young when you are 70 it is quite expensive. If you are using life insurance as a vehicle to fund your estate taxes you want to be sure you expire before your life insurance policy does.

Another point if somene is wealthy at say age 50 and are concerned about estate taxes do you think they will or they believe they will be worth more or less than they are now when they die?

FWIW, IMHO there are two types of Life insurance, permanent & temporary, they both have their place, the key is to having enough accurate information to make the best decision on how much and of which type('s).

2010-05-24 5:18 AM

You probably got your whole life at very reasonable premiums seeing that you got it when you were only 18. You need to get online and request for term life insurance quotes on a reputed BBB-accredited website. Answer the questions they ask you as truthfully as possible, because that will give you an idea of how much a term policy would cost you. You then have two options:

- If your current whole life premiums are much lower than the term life quotes you received you should most definitely keep it.
- If your current whole life premiums are only marginally lower, then it might make sense to scrap it and buy a term life policy for a larger amount, because when you are older and have dependents it will cost you a lot more to get a fresh policy.

If your whole life death benefit is not too much, then you must consider supplementing it with a term life policy for a higher death benefit, for the same reason mentioned in option 2 above.
Good luck!

Denise at AccuQuote
Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Life Insurance Question Rss Feed  

of 2