Raceday events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 41m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up a bit early, had 2 cups of Oats, a banana and some walnuts. Got our bikes (my roommate did it with me) loaded up and got some gas. Headed to the school where it started.
Event warmup:

Saw some of my family (my 12 year old cousin is interested in cycling so she came to see all the bikers) rode around the parking lot and chatted with some people I knew.
Bike
  • 3h 41m
  • 63.41 miles
  • 17.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a "Race" exactly (no chips or awards or whatever) just a good Century bike ride.

I felt great throughout the day. The "plan" was to ride with my roommate and just enjoy the day. However, I was just feeling too good to play around, so about 3 miles in I turned up the heat. I'm really turning myself into a Mountain Goat... one guy commented as I passed him that I was going faster uphill than I was on the flats. I just love that feeling when you are going up and everybody is hurting and you pass them and you can literally feel/hear them sigh. Haha I think that makes me a bad person.

Only one corner really (almost) got me. Early in the ride (when it was still grouped up) I was following a couple of guys wheels, and a sharp descent sent THREE of them straight off into the field. I contemplated bailing, but at the last moment skidded back onto the road. Close call, my fault for not staying aware.

I averaged some pretty solid power numbers too (for me at least) so all in all a great day.
What would you do differently?:

Not piddle around at the rest stops waiting on my roommate so long. (Never saw him anyways)
Post race
Warm down:

Got back to the car, racked my bike, checked some of my averages (17+mph on an uphill course...yeah I'll take that)

Stretched and grabbed some water. Waited around about 45 minutes for my roommate to show up. Took some Verbal abuse from him ("I can't believe you talked me into this" and "I thought you said this was going to be a recovery ride?" were some choice ones) Went and grabbed a beer and took a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs. Gotta get stronger.

Event comments:

Good rest stops packed with some goodies, also some great help from the local police.

Race Day Events always puts on a good show, this was no exception.

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
Biking
03:41:00 | 63.41 miles | 17.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: C'mon. It's east TN... what can you expect. LOTS of uphill work, a couple of decent downhills, but mainly up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 71
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right