General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 16s
Overall Rank = 979/3000
Age Group = F2029
Age Group Rank = 139/612
Pre-race routine:

I was pretty unprepared for this one. I had a graduation party the night before, so I slept in later than I should have, so ended up not having time to eat or really do anything other than grab all my running gear and go.
Event warmup:

Used the bathrooms several times
Run
  • 2h 01m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't enjoy this race at all. For one thing, the course was incredibly boring, which I guess I should have expected from looking at the course map.

Also, we were stuck on one side of a crowned road for the majority of the run, which aggravated my hips since my legs are already quasimodo-ish and two different lengths. I tried running on the right side, where the crown was less pronounced, but then discovered that the water stations were only on the left side. I ended up missing the first two because I couldn't get through the crowd. So I moved closer to the left, resulting in aching hips and a slight twinge in my leg by mile 8. Luckily, we had turned around by then and were running on a flatter road, but I couldn't undo the pain in my hip.

At one aid station, I grabbed gatorade instead of water on accident, but then decided to drink it anyway since I hadn't eaten breakfast. That was a mistake, and I wanted to puke around mile 10. Stopped for a bathroom break, and was okay for the rest of the distance.

Overall, I'm happy with my time, but definitely will not be running this race again
What would you do differently?:

I guess I would have woken up earlier so I could eat.
Post race
Warm down:

We were kind of herded through a corral for food, which i broke out of so I could wait for my friend to finish. I stretched a bit while waiting, but was really sore.

We went back to get food, but then I discovered that there were no vegetarian options. So I ate some coleslaw, then went outside and grabbed a cup of yogurt (which luckily didn't have gelatin) and some tomatoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Painfully boring course, was sick for the week and half prior to the race, and crowned roads

Event comments:

Overall, I felt like this race was poorly organized. I got to run as a 32 year old male named Damien, due to some sort of computer mix-up. The race packet pickup was unnecessarily difficult (couldn't they email us our bib numbers earlier so we could avoid waiting in 3 lines?).

I was also disappointed that there wasn't a vegetarian option for postrace food; I can't be the only vegetarian runner, can I?

I did appreciate the fact that there were frequent aid stations, even if I couldn't get to them for the first part of the race, and the mile markers seemed well planned.

Last updated: 2010-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:16 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 139/612
Overall: 979/3000
Performance: Average
Course: Down Colfax, then back up 17th.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 10:38 AM

Subject: Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed