General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Timer with Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-20 11:27 AM

Subject: First Timer with Sprint Triathlon
Hi my name is Elyse, I am 27 years old and am nervous and excited for my first sprint triathlon. I have always been athletic, I was a cheerleader in college and in 2005 had both shoulder surgery and knee suregery. I started running in September 09  after my fiance and I broke up, it helped my depression and anxiety After running my first 5k in April 10, I am now trying to gain strength and prove to myself my will and perseverance. I have a girl training with me and 4 men that will run it also...

Any tips? Thanks for saying hi to me!

2010-05-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2871148

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: First Timer with Sprint Triathlon
Hi Elyse,

First off, welcome to BT!  It sounds like your athletic background should really help you during your triathlons.  The best of advice I have is stay positive and know that you can do it.  Besides that,  finding a good training program that works for you and stick to it will bring you success.  However, you probably have tons of questions.  I sure did when I first started.  Just post any questions you have to the forums and you should get some great help.

Best of luck with your training!
2010-05-20 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Elyse! Congratulations on deciding to try triathlon! I can sympathize with the knee surgery. Fortunately I've found that triathlon is better for my knees than just plain running. And triathlon is a great way to out-run depression. Sounds like you have a good mindset. Hmmm... tips? Don't get down on yourself if you miss a workout; that is, don't use it as an excuse to start missing more. And if you don't have much time or energy, cut it short, but do something. Good luck with your training, and like someone already said, if you have any questions feel free to start a new discussion!
2010-05-20 5:15 PM

User image

Lucerne Switzerland
Yeah knee injuries suck. Back in 2006/07 I had both knees operated on to get the minicuous removed, started swimming and biking. Coming from a running background Triathlon was the natural entry. I'm glad you have finally caught the bug! It's awesome for stress and the community at events are so welcoming. Hope you have a great season and good luck at your first Sprint.

www.howtotriathlon.com (for beginner triathletes, just starting to get it up and running)
2010-05-20 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Congrats on signing up for your first sprint. When is it? Just keep browsing the site (tons of useful info here and some other fun stuff too) and ask questions.  Remember to have fun!
I just started last year (did 2 races last summer) and I am hooked now.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Timer with Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed