General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon Bike - Noises Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-23 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: Carbon Bike - Noises
I finally got my first Tri-Bike 5 weeks ago. It is a Argon-18 E-112 and it is the first Carbon Bike in our family

Last week on Tuesday I had my first ride outside in the rain (actually it was rain mixed with ash as I am living in Iceland and the volcano was in a bad mood that day ). On Thursday the Argon started to make weird noises and during my Friday ride they got so loud that people that I passed looked at me with weird eyes...

The sound was kind of like a cracking/squeaking sound. We put the bike on the trainer trying to analyse the situation and the noise was just really bad. In fact it sounded a lot like as if the frame might be cracked or something like this. I was horrified because after all it is a brandnew bike and was not cheap.

My husband tried some things this morning (trying to get the pedal of, cleaning it a bit around and also putting some extra oil on the chain). The noise was still there afterwards but it was a little less.

I decided to give it a try and take it outside for a ride and see what happens. 13 miles into my 36 miles ride the noise stopped. It just dissapeared and it did not come back for the reminder of the ride. I really hope it stays that way.

My question is, is it possible that this is just normal for Carbon bikes? Do they sometimes make noises like this due to the frame structure?
Is it possible that it happened due to the rain and it getting wet for the first time?

Anyone have any experience like this? I wrote Argon yesterday but so far have not received an answer (probably due to the fact that it is weekend).

Thanks for your help

Edited by Joblin 2010-05-23 12:12 PM

2010-05-23 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2876508

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Carbon Bike - Noises
I have a carbon bike as well and when I am riding next to a friend with a metal (aluminum, titanium) bike, my carbon is much louder, weird noises etc.  Don't know how this helps you.  Probably just wasting your time so stop reading it now.
2010-05-23 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I just experienced the exact same problem with my brand new Cannondale Synapse Carbon Fem 3 road bike.  Today was literally the first day I rode it.  About halfway into a 93 mile ride, I started hearing creaking noises.  Initially, I thought it was coming from my cheapo SPD pedals which I threw on until the new pedals that I ordered arrive later this week.   But it was not the pedals...yes, my MTB shoes were "squeaking" a bit, but it was not the same "creaking" sound I was hearing.   So then I thought it was coming from my carbon seatpost.  We stopped, tighten things up a bit...but the creaking noises continued.  I finally concluded that it was definitely coming from the front of the bike...specifically, in the headset/headtube/fork area.  Everytime the slightest pressure was placed on the handlebars...the creaking noises would occur.  It got particularly loud, when I got out of the saddle on climbs and the front of the bike was moving side to side.  I rode it straight to my dealer, and even the mechanic heard it the second he hopped on the bike.  They are going to tear down the entire front end -  headset, fork, etc...to try and figure out what the problem is.  Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed that my brand new bike is back in the shop after doing my maiden voyage on it.   Mechanic does not thing it is any kind of manufacturer defect...so it has to be something that was overlooked by whoever assembled the bike at the shop.

Edited by nscrbug 2010-05-23 7:31 PM
2010-05-23 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
For the front end creaking, try the skewers to make sure they're properly lubricated - got this tip from reading some post here - hasn't happened to me, but worth looking at.

My road bike, an aluminum Giant, sometimes creaks for weeks and then disappears as soon as arriving. Just something I have to deal with.

Edited by natethomas2000 2010-05-23 8:44 PM
2010-05-23 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Noisy bikes are tough to figure out sometimes.

Check these things, no order:
Chain Ring Bolts
Crank and Bottom Bracket tightness
Pedals
Head Set
Rear Wheel

Since your bike is new, might more along the lines of assembly, so I'd check the head set, chain ring bolts and bottom bracket area first.

Some good resources:
http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-5-33-1058-1,00.html

Park’s site is an excellent resource too, like an online service manual:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=98

Sheldon Brown (RIP) site is still an excellent source of all things bike too:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

I just went through this too, turned out to be a spring inside my rear wheel's hub. $3 part and $20 labor to rebuild it. Make the worse sound while pedaling very hard.
2010-05-24 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Thanks so much anyone! This is some good advise and we will check these things out!

NSCRBUG, hope it is nothing major with your bike and you will get it back soon.

Edited by Joblin 2010-05-24 7:05 AM

2010-05-24 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Gremilns I've exorcized from my noisy bike:

1.) Seat post: Remove it, clean everything very well with rubbing alcohol. Get yourself some carbon fiber specific grease / lube and re-insert the post to the proper depth. NEVER use regular grease on carbon!

2.) Crankbolts. The crankarms might feel tight, but check those bolts!

3.) Headset. Make sure that the headset is fully tightened against the frame. SHop should probably do this one.

4.) Cleats: Are you sure the noise is from the bike and not the shoe or pedal / cleat interface? Again, a thorough cleaning of the cleat and pedal might help.
2010-05-24 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
It's not a carbon frame, but about a month after I got my hybrid I started getting quite a bit of creaking in the front part of the bike. It would come and go, and I finally realized that it was dependant on the temperature. At certain air temps the creaking would be louder.

I tightened the headset and the problem went away. I'm guessing things were just settling in after about a month and just needed some adjusting.

Interestingly enough, I've noticed the interior of my wife's car is unbelievably creaky at certain temps, and dead quiet at others.
2010-05-24 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Burlington
Check the seat too, where the rails go into the shell of the seat.  That can rub and make a creaky sound too.
2010-05-24 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Very likely it's got something to do with poor lubrication.  Bottom Bracket is where my search would probably start, then move out to the crank, pedals, seatpost then maybe headset.

It's usually in the BB/Crank.
2010-05-24 9:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
Mine squeaks from the front of the bike as well. If I'm just cruising along I don't hear it but once I start hammering I notice it. I haven't put much thought into it because it hasn't started bothering me - yet. However, I'm about 80% sure the noise is coming from my aerobars. Whether it's the stem or the extensions I don't know. I did check the tightness of the face plate bolts for the stem and all of them were tightened to spec but the spacer isn't quite centered so who knows. Good luck on getting it fixed.

2010-05-25 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Definitely a lube issue.  Carbon specific lubricant is water based.  Need to make sure it is wherever two surfaces make contact, and it will eventually dry out and need to be applied.
2010-06-03 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
I had this same problem with my E-114 when I was climbing "out of the saddle"...we took it back into all3sports and they tore down the headset (crazy on the 114) and put more friction grease when they built it back up. Since then noise has gone, but now getting a little out of the crank. Carbon is well known for nosies, I just deal unless its really bad. The bikes are worth it.

FM
"The Cube"
2014-08-24 9:38 PM
in reply to: Joblin

Just bought new Cannondale Carbon4….Having clicks and irritating noises coming from front end….I believe from HandleBars/headset…
maybe forks…..Snugged up everything, but nothing loose….Love the bike…and all works well, but this noise is starting to bother me and
seems to do it only climbing….I'm starting to think it's something in the cables….which go thru the frame….
Anyone have this similar problem?
2014-08-25 9:00 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by pitt83

1.) Seat post: Remove it, clean everything very well with rubbing alcohol. Get yourself some carbon fiber specific grease / lube and re-insert the post to the proper depth. NEVER use regular grease on carbon!

Can you elaborate on this? Are you referring to grease for general lubrication or carbon paste to prevent slip? What is it in "regular" grease that you don't think is appropriate for use on carbon?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon Bike - Noises Rss Feed