The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 16m 38s
Overall Rank = 1164/1587
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 175/218
Pre-race routine:

Up 5:15, banana and yogurt w/ gatorade for pre-race meal. Arrived at the park entrance around 6am thinking I had an hour to spare before transition closed. I didn't expect to have to park way down 108 at the intersection with Rt 29! Parked and walked into the park, I barely had time to set up in the transition area before they closed it. I went over to the boathouse to get my wetsuit on, then made my way over to the swim start where I had to wait for a long time for the Blue caps wave to begin.
Swim
  • 25m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was least concerned with the swim portion of the race and I lined up in an aggressive position. In the first 500 yards I had trouble in the crowd - I'm used to swimming in a crowd but seemed to have trouble compensating. I swallowed that tasty lake water a couple times and had to stop once, which never happens to me. Finally as we rounded the first turn at the dam I went wide and found clear water and settled into my rhythm. From that point it was a nice uneventful swim. I tended to be a bit too wide and probably swam a few extra yards to get clear water, but I didn't feel much like jockeying for position anymore. In the last leg of the swim I found I was swimming through lots of long lake grasses. Underwater it gave a really cool effect of speed, kind of like a simulated flight through a star field. Except this was green brown water and goose poop. Ended up finishing 31/218 in my age group. The only respectable part of my race, really.
Transition 1
  • 06m 9s
Comments:

I set a personal record here. Not a good one. Longest T1 Ever. Probably a world record. I did not approach transitions today with any sense of urgency, instead I focused on what I needed to avoid a DNF. So, I had a gel, drank some gatorade, took care to get dry socks on, even stretched a little bit, knowing I was woefully unprepared for the upcoming ride and future 10K run. Ended up 191/218 in the AG ranking! OUCH.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, under the same circumstances. Everything if I was better trained and prepared to race.

Bike
  • 1h 34m 8s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

A quick look at my logs and you'll notice that this ride officially increased my mileage by nearly 200% for the year. Broken bike, bad weather, a minor injury, and my schedule all converged into a perfect storm of keeping me off the bike this spring. So my approach was to simply ride to enjoy the ride, and try to conserve enough that I can make the 10K run that follows. And that's exactly what I did. I was just happy to be riding again! I stayed right, thanked those who called out 'on your left' (there were many), and just rode at whatever pace I could manage while keeping my HR steady.

I did find that the bike was more crowded this year than in the past - lots of groups riding and I could have issued more than a few penalties for drafting, passing on the right, and side-by-side riding.

More troubling was some of the carnage I witnessed; a horrible wreck at tridelphia reservoir that required EMT assistance, lots of people with blown tires, and one guy w/ a chain that snapped while he was out of the saddle on a steep climb sending him tumbling off the road. The wet roads were not safe and I found myself riding conservatively on the downhills and in the traffic circles.

I did find myself running out of gas toward the end. The last climb on Folly Q to 108 I actually dropped into my lowest chain (I ride a triple) which I haven't done since riding the Savageman course 3 years ago.

Hmmmm. Don't know. Any suggestions :-)
Transition 2
  • 05m 34s
Comments:

Again, focus was to simply survive the day, so I took time to change to dry socks, stretch my hamstring out, eat gel & drink a bit, then move out. Time and AG rank were even worse than T1.
Run
  • 1h 05m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I fully expected to come off the bike ready to call it quits, but I felt better than I thought. I was dreading the first hill at the 0.5 mark (on the park trail) since once before I had a major cramp in my hamstring on that hill. Once I made it to the top without any walking, I knew I was going to pull this run off. Still running conservatively, I allowed myself to walk briefly (20-25 paces only) at water stops and/or mile markers. I was running slowly, but I was running (and many others around me were walking a lot). I just kept plodding along all the way to the finish.

Hmmmmm. Don't know. Any suggestions?
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmmmm. Don't know. Any suggestions?

Event comments:

So it really was an interesting experiment; could I complete this race with a bare minimum of training? I suppose the answer is yes. I'm happy that I did it, because I always enjoy this race, but I'm not particularly proud of my performance. It's my 5th time doing this race, I finished 30 min slower than last time, 36 min from my PR on the course. I'm quite lucky I didn't injure myself, but I was aware of my limitations this year and didn't push it.

Last updated: 2010-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/218
Overall: 0/1587
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle course lake swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:09
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:34:08 | 25.48 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 184/218
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:37 | 06.21 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/218
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2010-05-24 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2879217

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Great job to push on through .... especially with so little bike preparation.

Guess there is no substitute for putting in the miles on the bike and running more.   
2010-05-24 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2879592

User image

Expert
MD
Thanks. It certainly makes a difference - a 2:40 in 2007 with proper training, a 3:16 this year with very little.
2010-05-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2879217

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Really a good job considering your self-professed lack of training.  I'd certainly take your swim split.  And it was nice getting to holler at a fellow BT'er before the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed