Meridian Geographics
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Mixed team run
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Had a breakfast cookie for breakfast and drove in to Seattle. We got our map about 7:50 and looked it over, laying out our plan for the next 90 minutes. Caught my satellite and got ready to go!
Event warmup:

Maps are passed out 20 minutes prior to the start of the race. Since we were volunteering to make lunch we came early to do the scramble on our own so we could cook while the other teams were on the course. The map is a USGS map with 30 different circles numbered on the map. There are no street names, and very few things identified on the map. Using orienteering (or a really good sense of direction), you try to visit as many sights as you can in either 90 or 180 minutes. We were doing the 90 minute and running. (You can also bike.)
Run
  • 90m
  • 7.48 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

We did an excellent job staying together. The rules are that you must stay together at all times; one person can't run ahead and locate the information. You have to be within sight of the other person and you must meet up at the location. Being such good little children, we even visited a location that I knew the answer to. We'd happened to drive past an excavation site on the way in and for whatever reason I'd noted the name of the company doing the excavation (Essex Pacific). But the spirit of the race is to visit each place, not to get the answers right.

We made only one mistake; we overran a water fountain in Myrtle Edwards Park. We assumed it was out by the Happy Hooker (a place by the fishing pier that sells food and beverages and fishing stuff in the summer), but it wasn't. We wasted about five minutes out there and could have hit at least three more place if we hadn't made an assumption! We caught it on the way back in. Otherwise we located every location quickly thanks to Roy's master orienteering skills!

We were pretty sure we weren't going to make it back in time, but we BARELY squeaked in according to my watch. It was enough to take first place in our division.
What would you do differently?:

Not take the bike path in Myrtle Edwards Park. Otherwise we navigated perfectly!
Post race
Warm down:

We returned and scarfed down some orange slices. Even though we only ran 7.5 miles, it was hard miles because of the hills!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, hills, stopping to answer questions, traffic lights.

Event comments:

This is one of those events that is just plain fun. It is very family friendly and really doable for all ages and physical activity levels. You can run, walk, or ride your bike to compete. The time flies as you run from place to place. Post race meal is always awesome. This time it was hot dogs (cooked by yours truly), lots of fresh fruit, and lots of soda and water. For the $15 entry fee you get a great time and a full meal deal. You can't beat that!

Last updated: 2005-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:90:00 | 07.48 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Obviously this race combines speed and orienteering, but pace doesn't really count for much. The way Roy and I do it is to let him determine the best route and then run. I generally hit the location first and find the answer to the question. I mark the answer while he determines the route to the next location. Because it was raining (of course...it's July in Seattle) we had to take it a little easier so we didn't slip on the slick sidewalks, but we actually made really good time considering.
Course: We started in 157 Roy Street at the Uptown Community Center and made a counter-clockwise circle in about a 2 mile radius from the center. We went as far East as Terry Ave, South to Pine Street, West to the waterfront, and then back up to Roy Street. We were able to hit 7 or 8 locations for a total of 280 points. At each location you answer a multiple choice question to prove you visited. It's almost like an orienteering scavenger hunt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-02 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Seattle Uptown Street Scramble

2005-07-02 6:52 PM
in reply to: #189087

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Seattle Uptown Street Scramble
Cool race!  That sounds like tons of fun.

I actually remember the Happy Hooker.  I remember seeing that when we rode to take the ferry out to Bainbridge Island when I was there in May.  Somehow a name like that just kinda sticks in your head.  Hehehe.

You had a blast and that's what matters. 

-C
2005-07-02 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job, be careful though, next thing you know you will be doing adventure races.

ken
2005-09-05 11:51 PM
in reply to: #189100

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

Manatee Express - 2005-07-02 5:02 PM Good job, be careful though, next thing you know you will be doing adventure races. ken

Ooooohhhhhhh.....

2005-09-06 9:12 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
That sounds like a good time! Congrats on the first place finish too! With my orienteering skills, I probably would end up in Canada.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle Uptown Street Scramble Rss Feed