General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe recommendation - feet roll out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-26 8:42 AM

User image

Endicott
Subject: Running shoe recommendation - feet roll out

My feet roll out when I run and I have sore ankles. I am getting custom orthotic insoles ordered. Does anyone else have this condition and/or a recommendation for a running shoe that might give me more stability?

2010-05-26 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2882686

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Running shoe recommendation - feet roll out
Yes, I have this issue and I would suggest orthotics.  I don't think a shoe is out there that really helps that problem, though I could be wrong.

There are also many reasons for a foot rolling out and different solutions.  For me, my foot rolls out because the ball of my foot lands too early. 
2010-05-26 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Do you mean that your ankles roll out or that your feet point out?  If it is just your feet pointing out, I do the same thing. 

After many years of knee pain from trying to correct this issue by running in stability shoes, I now run in neutral shoes (Brooks Glycerine 8)  that allow my foot to do what it wants to do.  My feet and knees are much happier this way.  In addition, I've had good results from massaging my feet and walking around barefoot whenever possible to help strengthen my feet.

If your ankle rolls out, I would suggest that you go to your local running store (LRS) and have them watch you run and suggest a shoe for you.  Actually, this is good advice no matter what.  I'm a Brooks girl, so if you need a stability shoe, I would recommend the Adrenaline but keep in mind that they run narrow so if your feet are wide, you may need to go up a size and/or width. 

Good luck with your shopping! 
2010-05-26 10:24 AM

New Balance sneakers have models that offer stability but a little on the heavy side.  Adidas Supernova is pretty stable and light.
2010-05-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2882735

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2010-05-26 9:50 AM Do you mean that your ankles roll out or that your feet point out?  If it is just your feet pointing out, I do the same thing. 

After many years of knee pain from trying to correct this issue by running in stability shoes, I now run in neutral shoes (Brooks Glycerine 8)  that allow my foot to do what it wants to do.  My feet and knees are much happier this way.  In addition, I've had good results from massaging my feet and walking around barefoot whenever possible to help strengthen my feet.

If your ankle rolls out, I would suggest that you go to your local running store (LRS) and have them watch you run and suggest a shoe for you.  Actually, this is good advice no matter what.  I'm a Brooks girl, so if you need a stability shoe, I would recommend the Adrenaline but keep in mind that they run narrow so if your feet are wide, you may need to go up a size and/or width. 

Good luck with your shopping! 

This is the best  advice for anyone taking up running seriously, regardless of pronation.  Go to a good LRS that has the tools to test your running style, weight distribution etc.  they will have the best answers for you.  It is also worth the time taken to make your running miles as pain free as possible.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoe recommendation - feet roll out Rss Feed