General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-03 5:08 PM

Subject: Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice
In two weeks I have my first tri - the Lifetime Fitness Olympic Course in Minneapolis. I had never swum until four months ago, and was doing the swim-focused training to get me ready. I was having no problems going the long distances in the pool without stopping, although my per mile pace is slow - about 41 minutes. Today I was to do my first brick, which also was going to be my first open water swim. The swim was a disaster - I totally panicked from the choppy water (at least compared to a pool), my stroke broke down, and I had no idea where I was going. It was like my swim training was all for not. I did 14 of the 37 minutes and then did the bike. Now I'm really worried. With two weeks to go how screwed am I, do I have time to get comfortable swimming in the lake? What advice can anyone offer? How do you sight without completely losing your form? Besides the sighting, how should my swim technique be different in the open water? After getting out of the water I felt really disappointed, and would appreciate any advice. By the way, this is secondary, but how much longer does an open water distance take versus that same distance in a pool? I'm guessing I'll probably be the last person out of the water. Thanks.

Shaun

2005-07-03 5:27 PM
in reply to: #189388

User image

Subject: RE: Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice
With two weeks to go how screwed am I, do I have time to get comfortable swimming in the lake? What advice can anyone offer?

Two weeks is plenty of  time.  Just get back in the water.  First time panic is very common.  Do you have someone swimming with you?  You should.

To get more comfortable take it in stages.   Do the entry a couple times.  Get out to deeper water and just tread water. Look around, take in the view (you won't get this oportunity on race day ). Pick a direction, and swim 15 strokes.  Stop.  Rest,.  Enjoy the view.  Pick another direction, 25 more strokes.   Then 50 strokes, then 100...... you get the picture.  Little bite sized pieces and you'll eventually put it all together.

How do you sight without completely losing your form?

How often I sight depends on conditions.  You wil be with a group of people, so you might be able to follow them instead of sighting,.  I sight by facing my head forward, nose level in the water, between breaths, then turn my head back to normal.  Or do the same right before you turn your head for the breath.  Also, don't be afraid to stop and breastroke.  Perfectly fine

If the topography allows it, find a landmark above and behind the buoy.  Easier to sight to something on land than in the water.

Besides the sighting, how should my swim technique be different in the open water?

It shouldn't, although condtions might dictate otherwise.  You might need to adjust your stroke to account for chop, etc.  Try to adjust as little as possible, as it will change your form.  You need to adjust for no turns at the wall.  But just tell yourself to settle in to a stroke rhythm, you're in it for the long haul.  Before you know it you'll b done

After getting out of the water I felt really disappointed, and would appreciate any advice. By the way, this is secondary, but how much longer does a distance take versu that same distance in a pool? I'm guessing I'll probably be the last person out of the water. Thanks.Shaun

So, if you're last, think of all the carrots you get to chase.  Tell you what, it's not so much fun being one of the first out of the water and then getting passed like crazy, either.  We all have our crosses to bear

As for distance, it's all personal.  Some people are faster in the pool, some in OW, I'm about the same, actually.

Get back out there and good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Chris
2005-07-03 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
I'm not an experience OW swimmer by any stretch, in fact my first try was just yesterday. But something that helped me a lot was instead of freaking out when I put my head in the murky water, I just closed my eyes instead. It helped lessen the panicking a lot. Also, I learned quickly to keep my body horizontal because when I started to doggie paddle or tread water or whatnot, I got tired really fast and also kind of freaked out. So, whether that meant crawl, breastroke, or just flipping onto my back and paddling for a few minutes, I tried hard to keep myself horizonal for the most part. Another thing that helped me a LOT was to count my strokes. My crawl went to hell the minute I hit the reservoir, so I focused on doing five strokes, just five little strokes, then about 15 strokes of something else, just to allow me to chill out for a few seconds. And as for sighting, I watched a lot of folks who appeared to know what they were doing, and tried to emulate their sighting. Some of them were looking straight ahead instead of the side for one breath, while others would look ahead quickly as they were turning their heads to the side. This way worked a little better for me, as the first way hurt my neck.

Again, take all this with a grain of salt, but from one newbie to another, I thought it might be worth mentioning.
2005-07-03 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I struggled with ows in my Tris. What I did to overcome my panic and unsettled feelings were to

1. Do open water swims 2-3 times a week with a friend who is supportive and encouraging. getting in 4-6 ows in the next two weeks will make a HUGE difference.
2. Just hang out to feel comfortable. Do you have a wetsuit? If so just sort of play and mix swimming in with your play. Once I felt safe and supported by my wetsuit part of the fear went away. I knew I could stop and rest and do nothing and still float. My swim coach said at first I struggled against my wetsuit. If you don't have a wetsuit consider renting one or borrowing one for your race.
3. Focus on one thing at a time..what ever helps you....count strokes, focus on keeping your head facing down, whatever helps you remember what you practiced in the pool.
4. Make a list of what makes you fearful in the swim...exam them to see if they are real or not and decide how to address them. For me, I wanted to do the swim well. Accepting that I may have to do multiple strokes and rest was key to me feeling good about the swim.
5. My strategy in my first ows this year .6 of mile in a 1/4 Ironman was to have fun. I was in the last wave and let others go...I did have fun...I was slow, but I finished and did not panic at all. My next Tri I was almost twice as fast in the swim...but with 3 more weeks of ows practice I was much more comfortable.

Key to success for me was to practice and practice and practice...second key was to do whatever it took to do it. You can do it...get back out there and practice. If a friend can't swim with you, swim along the shore and bring someone with you. I would swim by myself and my kids would play on the beach, but I stayed where I could touch when upright.

2005-07-18 4:26 PM

Thanks for everyone's input on the open water swim. I had my first tri on Sat. The swim went off without a hitch - 41 min for 1.5k. Somehow I even passed people. They did a staggered start so there was pretty much a line of people to follow. I was actually the very last person in the water for the olympic course. Just took it easy for the swim, went all out on the bike, and gutted out the run for a 3:08 time - if I would've eaten more burgers and pizza while training I would've won my clydesdale age division (I was 3 pounds short). They said it was the hottest Lifetime Fitness Tri yet. It was about 95 when I started my 10k - even Craig Walton pooped out and didn't finish. People were dropping like flies. Again, thanks everyone, your encouragement really helped me.

Shaun
2005-07-18 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Shaun...congrats!!

Sounds like you came a long way in your swimming in 2 weeks!! Maybe you can share what you did to help others learn from your success!!

2005-07-18 10:07 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice Rss Feed