General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-03 5:08 PM

Subject: Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice
In two weeks I have my first tri - the Lifetime Fitness Olympic Course in Minneapolis. I had never swum until four months ago, and was doing the swim-focused training to get me ready. I was having no problems going the long distances in the pool without stopping, although my per mile pace is slow - about 41 minutes. Today I was to do my first brick, which also was going to be my first open water swim. The swim was a disaster - I totally panicked from the choppy water (at least compared to a pool), my stroke broke down, and I had no idea where I was going. It was like my swim training was all for not. I did 14 of the 37 minutes and then did the bike. Now I'm really worried. With two weeks to go how screwed am I, do I have time to get comfortable swimming in the lake? What advice can anyone offer? How do you sight without completely losing your form? Besides the sighting, how should my swim technique be different in the open water? After getting out of the water I felt really disappointed, and would appreciate any advice. By the way, this is secondary, but how much longer does an open water distance take versus that same distance in a pool? I'm guessing I'll probably be the last person out of the water. Thanks.

Shaun

2005-07-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: #189390

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice
It gets easier every time. Get in the open water more if at all possible. After my 3rd swim, my confidence took off.

I (and just about everyone else) has had a similar experience. Search on OW swim on this forum - - you'll see many sharing similar experiences.

Note from my first open water I swam in May - if interested:

http://writebrained2.blogspot.com/2005/05/1st-open-water-swim.html
2005-07-03 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I know what you mean....I swam in the ocean today. I have only done tris with a lake swim which were relatively benign....water was so much colder, salty, big swells made sighting hard, surf....and what lies beneath !?!! I did a lot of stopping and starting, totally broke my tempo.....still, I think the differences are mostly psychological....just another thing to get used to.....go back a few more times......every barrier falls with repetition...this one will, too...

Edited by us50090 2005-07-03 6:29 PM
2005-07-03 6:34 PM

Shaun:
I too was not a big swimmer. But after a lot of laps and reading everything I could.
I did my first Tri 2 weeks ago. The OW swim was not pretty at the first bouy I looked back at the land and kind of freaked as it looked so far away. Something akin to someone afraid of heights looking down. What a did was take a moment and get my self together and headed to the next bouy and then out. It was 14 panic filled minutes to do about 600 meters. I completed it with a combination of Crawl and Back Stroke ( I can Back stroke forever), and with a wetsuit its not too much slower then my crawl without one. Heres what I learned that may be helpful to you. 1. Form will break down if you panic, and when you panic your breathing becomes very rapid and having your head in the water seems impossible, having a go-to stroke that lets me breathe as needed was very helpful. 2. Thank God I had invested in a wetsuit, and 3. There is no substitute for actual race experince in OW. My goal in the first swim was to finish and hit the bike with a vengenance. I passed all the good swimmers when I got in my comfort zone. If you dont have a wetsuit you might consider it. I am planning more OW swims over the next week and will do another Tri (Sprint) In 2 weeks. I am a little more confident knowing that even If I freak out I can still find a way to get through it. I cant say enough about a wetsuit.
Good Luck

Patrick
2005-07-03 6:46 PM
in reply to: #189418

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
It gets easier! I swear it does. When you panic, tread water and breath deeply. I promise you will get proficiant at this.
2005-07-03 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I believe you will do really well in the race. I was scared of the OW ocean swim my first time, but come race day it went better than I had planned. I found with everyone else swimming around me I had the adrenelene and excitement to push me through. As far as sighting, the bouys are usually really big and high and you shouldn`t have to much of a proplem sighting them. You`ll see lifesavers on canooes or boats who keep an eye out for you and that is also a sense of feeling safer. The thing about OW is also the feeling that you have been swimming a long time and not getting anywhere but you really are, just keep going and you`ll be fine. If in doubt just follow the guy in the lead. Keep positive you can do it!

2005-07-03 9:51 PM

I"ve done a few ocean miles when I was in college with the team, my advice with the sighting, To start off if you feel nervous I would sight every three strokes just pick up someone in front of you to look for or the buoy, pick a point and keep looking, sometimes I look for someone with a bright colored cap, if I lose them I look for the big bouy. It takes time, I usually swim faster in the open water cause I want to get out as fast as possible, which my coach could never understand since I was a sprinter but for some reason I had a fast ocean swim. I don't look at the bottom, my face is in but I try to to focus at what is under the water. If you breathe at times to the land side that helps keep you on track. Don't worry it will get easier, sometiems you can break stroke and do some breastroke to get back in control. Good luck and have fun, just think "the faster I swim, the faster I get out of the water".

Take care,
Kelly in Tampa
2005-07-03 10:38 PM

Pebble Beach, CA
I feel your pain, I did an ow in Santa Cruz last week, hellacious waves. I couldn't even get out past the breakers. The waves just kept getting bigger and bigger. I finally told the people I was swimming with "I can't do it" because I felt like I was under water so long dodging the waves, I thought I was going to drown!! It was completely exhausting, and I hadn't even began swimming yet (real swimming like consecutive strokes in a row.) So she called us in and agreed it was pretty dangerous and had us practice swimming parallel to shore and practicing our exits...riding waves in and running out. So, I couldn't even get out to swim!! There are so many factors. But I will try it again. To me it is so scary I can't even fathom it, but just reading all these stories make me want to try again. I mean, I can't just swim in pools and lakes forever-right??? ha ha just kidding. Good luck- I know how you feel!!
2005-07-04 9:06 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I think most of us have gone through moments of terror/panic/fear in OW.
Things that have helped me:
1. Force youself to start SLOW. The worst thing you can do is go anaerobic after the first 100 yds (don't ask me how I know...). A good warm-up that gets your heart rate and breathing going also helps in this regard.
2. Stay out of the middle of the pack. You can't swim your own pace and you risk getting thrashed, beaten, and run over. (Hint: Wear your goggles UNDER your swim cap - makes them less likely to get them knocked off.)
3. I force myself to count strokes. Swim for eight strokes then sight for two strokes. I find that helps me to maintain something of a rhythm.
4. Pick a tall object (building, tree, etc.) in line with the buoys as a sighting point. Even large buoys can be almost impossible to see in light swells or chop. I have found it really helps your navigation to swim the course beforehand, if possible.
5. When I sight I look up & forward before I turn to my head to breathe. If you practice you can do it pretty smoothly without disrupting your stroke too much. I practice by putting a drink bottle at the end of my swim lane at the pool and sighting it.
6. I know that I will end up doing some breaststroke to catch my breath, get oriented, chat with the lifeguards in the kayaks, etc., so I practice it for a few sets in my workouts along with my freestyle.
HTH,
Mark
2005-07-04 10:00 AM

Regular
Buffalo,NY
Like everyone said it realy gets better with time , I also bought a wet suit ( the best money I ever spent for the sport ) it realy gives you a lot of confidence .Don't worry it will only get better, good luck
2005-07-04 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
I also have the LTF tri on July 16th.  I signed up for the long course and I am just as nervous and freaked about the swim leg of the race.  However, I did a short course on Manitou on June 12th in White Bear Lake and got the 'freaking' out part of the whole experience behind (I hope anyhow).  I had the same experience with panic, navigation (my googles got fogged up and water inside them!!! Doh!).. I have been training in the pool for 9 months and can do 2 miles now... but it didn't prepare me for anything other then the endurance.. that  the 1/2 mile in the OW threw at me.    This Tuesday (tomorow) the LTF training sessions are doing a 1 mile OW in Lake Nakomis at 7PM.  Maybe you can stop by and ride along... to prepare a pseudo OW (without the other 2 legs of the race) to give you the confidence you may wish to have before jumping into the OW on the 16th.  I am hoping this preparation gives me the confidence to not 'over react' on race day and do a calm, consistent and good time swim leg of the race.    You cant miss the group if you decide to go...   

btw: I doubt wet suits will be allowed given the warmth of the water in Lake Nakomis.  I did a  OW there 2 weeks ago and its was very warm...  lots of currents in the lake though with cold and warm washing over you constantly ... fells nice actually.  keeps you alert and fresh...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice Rss Feed