General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » The Great White North Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-27 4:36 PM

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Subject: The Great White North Triathlon : Official Thread

Doing the GWN race for the first time this year.  How does this compare to the Sylvan Half?

When I did the Sylvan Half, there were a few hills that were fun but I may have spent too much energy on the bike as I cramped up on the run.  This bike course seems a bit more tame, true?  I do not want to save my energy on the bike, then run in with still gas in the tank.

Look forward to this step up race to IMC!

Please share your experience, thoughts questions in this thread.

Cheers!

Edited by tbwilliams 2010-05-27 4:40 PM

2010-06-19 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2887098

User image

Subject: RE: The Great White North Triathlon : Official Thread
I haven't done Sylvan, so I can't answer your first question.The bike is fairly even, except for the one valley just before (and after) the turn around. Even as a flat-lander, I had no issues with the hill. Just keep an eye out for potholes - two or three years ago, I hit a giant hole at the bottom of the hill. According to a recent post from Wade, the road is in good shape except for a couple of ruts - hopefully those get fixed before race day.The run is also generally flat.I really enjoy this race. Well organized, well supported, and lots of great volunteers. I've done this race in 2006-2008, and I'm back for another go at it.Lots of my training buddies use this race as a prep for IMC, so you're on the right track.Let me know if you need more info.
2010-06-20 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2932224

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Subject: RE: The Great White North Triathlon : Official Thread

Thanks for the info!  I went out there with my training group last weekend and started from town, went to the Genesee plant, back to town, then back out and back for an extra hour.  Really have to watch for the potholes as I thought I saw a bike in one. 

We were there last week for the swim and swam from a colleague's place and the beach is quite muddy.

I haven't been on the run yet but hope to get out there before the race to either practice run it, or at least check it out.

Look forward to the race and maybe see you there!

Cheers,

Terry

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » The Great White North Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed