General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your IM bike nutrition/hydration plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-28 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: What's your IM bike nutrition/hydration plan?
Hi There,

I started this thread over in the main forum, but didn't get a ton of replies, and someone suggested bringing it over here.

Anyway, I'm training for IMLP right now and am tinkering with my bike nutrition.  I'm not entirely new to this, as I've been doing long rides for several years, and did a 1/2 IM a couple of years ago.  Anyway, here's what I currently do:

Clif Bar on the hour
Gel on the half hour
A banana every couple of hours if I'm feeling low
One bottle of fluid every hour, alternating water with Gatorade.

Let's hear what you folks do.

Thanks,

Hart

2010-05-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2888575

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: What's your IM bike nutrition/hydration plan?
Well, it's going to be very individual dependent. That sounds like a bit heavy in calories, but if you have tolerated it well in long rides then it will likely work for an IM for YOU, which is all that matters. What I do or anyone else doesn't really apply to you. Remember, IM nurtrition is not a zero sum game. You will calorie deplete, you can't replace what you are using. The trick is to bring in JUST enough to keep you moving forward. In an IM vs. a Half, you don't try and load up on the bike, you can't, you need to consume enought o get you ont he run course and then continue in maintenace mode till the end.
2010-05-28 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
This will be my 3rd season using Infinit. I take a swig of infinit every 15 minutes and chase it down with water from my aero bottle. Then for the run I live off the course... powergels, water, coke, chicken broth.
2010-06-03 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
My M.O. is finding out what is going to be on the course, and training with that.

I just ordered some of the sports drink they are going to have at Rev 3, and as soon as my "Gatorade HIM" is over in July, I'll start doing all my rides with that.

I am female and pretty small (120) and I find if I take in too many calories, I feel sick and have to use the bathroom all the time on the run. I usually break up a Clif bar into small pieces and eat a piece when I feel hungry for one. (Not HUNGRY hungry, just when I feel like eating.) Then I alternate sports drink and water and that's enough for me. However I haven't gotten up into the long bikes yet, so we'll see.
2010-06-03 4:27 PM

Doing IM france and im using infinit. Enough in 2 bottle to last 6 hours and then water in my aero bottle which i'll top up at aid stations. plan to use mule bars aswell as i always get hungry on the bike and i find im better with something that resembles proper food.
On the run i'll use the aid stations and whatever they have. Hoping to take in as much as i can on the ride and just eat on the run as and when i need it.
2010-06-04 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario

1 gel and water before swim
Heed and sports beans on the bike
Gels and sports drink on the run

2010-06-06 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
As others said, you're going to have to figure out what works for you.  FWIW, here's what seems to work for me:.

Gel or Cliff bar (chocolate almond!) on the :00 and :30; sports drink on the :15 and :45, water to thirst.  I do Cliff bar early in the race (before the 2 hour mark or so) and gel the rest of the way.  On the run I don't like solid food, so it's Gel every 30 minutes or so (despite what the package says -- sorry Bryan!), plus water from aid stations.
2010-06-06 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Simple version: 32 ounces fluid (Gatorade Endurance) and 2 gels per hour, every hour; with a ClifBar for solids after about 30 minutes on the bike. Plus supplemental sodium in the form of Chicken Broth if it's hotter than normal. Almost no protein, except the ClifBar. Works out to about 450-500 calories per hour on the bike ... sounds like a lot, but works great for me. Tested it again today on a 38/6 Brick in hot steamy Eaglemanish weather.
2010-06-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2899084

User image

Kentucky
ahohl - 2010-06-03 1:05 PM

My M.O. is finding out what is going to be on the course, and training with that.

I just ordered some of the sports drink they are going to have at Rev 3, and as soon as my "Gatorade HIM" is over in July, I'll start doing all my rides with that.

I am female and pretty small (120) and I find if I take in too many calories, I feel sick and have to use the bathroom all the time on the run. I usually break up a Clif bar into small pieces and eat a piece when I feel hungry for one. (Not HUNGRY hungry, just when I feel like eating.) Then I alternate sports drink and water and that's enough for me. However I haven't gotten up into the long bikes yet, so we'll see.

Do you know what drink they are going to use at the Rev 3 in Sandusky? All the website says is it is still to be determined.

2010-06-07 2:42 PM

User image

over a barrier
Take 260 calories per hour of Infinit regular strength...That it for the bike.

Run, sqeeze slurry of infinit into water cups and slam. 150 calories an hour or so.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your IM bike nutrition/hydration plan? Rss Feed