General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bottle - Yellow mesh setup Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-01 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2889673

Subject: RE: Aero Bottle - Yellow mesh setup
I've used mine for a year or so. It only splashes when it is filled to the brim, which is to say pretty much never.

I put the yellow mesh thingy in horizontal, aligned with wheel as others have described. I close the cap which has the black rubbery gasket thingy in it. If I was bothered by splashing I would cover the black cap completely so water couldn't get out. I always open that cap to refill anyway as it is MUCH easier with that cap off than trying to pour through that gasket thing

2010-06-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2891455

User image

DC
rgretsof - 2010-05-30 8:40 PM
tri808 - 2010-05-30 9:18 PM
rgretsof - 2010-05-30 4:04 PM I guess I have the older style Aerodrink because mine did not come with the black cap. I used the yellow pot scrubber that came with it on one ride and my water splashed all over the place. I came home and searched on BT because I knew someone had found a better solution. The recommendation that seemed the easiest was the one I liked best and that was the $1 shower poofie. I have been using it for years now and it works great. I even took mine apart and cut it smaller so that it was easier to insert in the top and I still do not have a problem with splashing.

dude...you need to wash your straw!!!!
I wash it every time I use it, but for some reason it has discolored. Now that you mention it though, it does look nasty! Maybe I'll look into replacing it.

No! Save the replacement cost for a GU. Just let it soak in clorox/hot water mixture for a couple hours, rinse, & let it dry. It will be like new. I do that to all my bottles/caps to get rid of the grime.
2010-06-01 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2889841

User image

Sensei
Sin City
joker70 - 2010-05-28 10:50 PM Before you throw away the yellow mesh... When you put the yellow mesh into the aero bottle, put it all the way into the top section of the bottle and orient it so it is positioned horizontally in the same direction as the front wheel. The mesh should take up all of the top section and none of the mesh should be sticking out of the bottle. Do it this way and the yellow mesh will not fall out. Unfortunately if you use any kind of mesh, it will splash when you hit a bump. That's the price you pay for being able to refill the bottle on the fly. If you use sports drink, expect to get sticky and expect to wash the sports drink off your bike. If you are doing a short race where you won't need to refill, just cover the hole with plastic wrap and hold it in place with the supplied rubber bands.

This.  I guess I don't understand why anyone would buy different parts, if when you use the given parts correctly, work fine...  IMO.

But yes, anytime you try to reload on the fly with sticky stuff, it will make a little mess.

Edited by Kido 2010-06-01 1:32 PM
2010-06-01 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2893870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
"If I was bothered by splashing I would cover the black cap completely so water couldn't get out. I always open that cap to refill anyway as it is MUCH easier with that cap off than trying to pour through that gasket thing"

This is what I do.  I used electrical tape to just simply close off the top.  I left a slit in the tape in case I want to refill it from my regular bottles, but I find it is easier to just flip the top open and fill it up.  It only takes about 10-15 seconds and about 5-7 good squeezes to transfer the liquid from a 24 oz. bottle to the PD setup.  Not a big deal.

Greg
2010-06-01 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2889673

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
I think that part of the straw is just discolored, mine has always been tinted somewhat. I use the mesh thing as it came and I acually put the staw through the hole in the middle of it. It will hold 20 oz with just a little splashing, but I only use water in it.

I'm more confused about the straw. I always thought it made more sense to put the thinner one (with the angled end) on the bottom, but I get more normal suction reversing that. Mine is opposite of every other one I have seen used. When I try it that way it feels like I have a hole in the side.
2010-06-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2894687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
DMarkSwan - 2010-06-01 3:32 PM

I'm more confused about the straw. I always thought it made more sense to put the thinner one (with the angled end) on the bottom, but I get more normal suction reversing that. Mine is opposite of every other one I have seen used. When I try it that way it feels like I have a hole in the side.

I did that at first, but then someone at a race pointed out that you really don't want the hard plastic piece on top because it could jab into your throat if you were to wreck.

2010-06-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2890573

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

ouradventure - 2010-05-29 8:33 PM I still think it's interesting when I read about people getting splashed with water/sports drink from their aero bottle. I use the shower poof and have never been splashed!

No doubt.  Look at the blue thing in the pics above.  Thick, filling up the opening.  Why do people try to come up with all sorts of convoluted schemes when the shower poofie flat out works?  I have not been splashed once since putting the $1 poofie in my bottle. 

Throw out the yellow thing.  Spend $1.  Solve the problem.  Yes, it's a shame you have to do that, and yes, there may be better options than this out there.  But if you have the PD Aerobottle and are concerned about the yellow mesh, the problem will be solved.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bottle - Yellow mesh setup Rss Feed  

of 2