General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS in Long pond, Littleton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-30 10:22 AM

New user

Subject: OWS in Long pond, Littleton
Anyone ever done any OWS in Long pond in Littleton?

2010-05-31 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2890908

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Subject: RE: OWS in Long pond, Littleton
I signed up for a OWS class through FIRM that is at Long Pond, but not until July.  I would be interested in hearing about the lake as well. 

Will
2010-05-31 4:28 PM

I've done 2 of the Appleman triathlons there in 2006 and 2007. I would say it is good, not great, for an open water swim.  I did try to practice there during that time and found to be real weedy (enough to intefere with your stroke) close to the beach shore and all along the edge, so you had to stay away from those areas.

It does get some boat traffic later in the day and the beach area is relatively small and can get crowded on a hot day.

It is ok in pinch, I would get there early and stay towards the middle of the pond.

2010-06-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2892414

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
b2003 - 2010-05-31 5:28 PM

I've done 2 of the Appleman triathlons there in 2006 and 2007. I would say it is good, not great, for an open water swim.  I did try to practice there during that time and found to be real weedy (enough to intefere with your stroke) close to the beach shore and all along the edge, so you had to stay away from those areas.

It does get some boat traffic later in the day and the beach area is relatively small and can get crowded on a hot day.

It is ok in pinch, I would get there early and stay towards the middle of the pond.

x2.  Its definitely very weedy and especially for a tall guy like myself, my arms do hit the weeds from time to time.  However, if you swim the Appleman 1/2 mile loop (listed on firm's website), you shouldn't really be affected by any boats in the water.
2010-06-01 4:38 PM

New user

Thanks for the advice! Did you like the appleman race? Can't decide if I want to do that one or Mass State which I have done before...
2010-06-02 6:07 AM

The race itself is great in my opinion. The run is what made it for me. You run through a field and then through the woods about a mile before you finish.  Kind of different, but interesting. I recommend it. A great atmosphere after on the beach. I would do it at least once.

2010-06-03 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
I highly recommend Appleman.  It does provide a great atmosphere for the race.  The course is rather unique and its very well organized.  Although I must admit I'm a little biased as I sure do love waking up race morning and only having a 20 min drive to the race in front of me.
2010-06-03 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
It does sell out every year too which is a pretty good sign that it is a great event...
2010-06-04 9:28 AM

New user

Thanks!  The fact that it is a local race for me was the main reason I wanted to do it.  A little more sleep that morning will be nice!
2010-06-05 12:05 PM

User image

New user

I did both the Appleman and the State last year, and while I did the intermediate distance in the state the courses are the similar.

The state:

Clean water, nice beach but very buggy.

The first mile of the bike in the state was over old pavement that was not bad, but made settling into your bike mode a little more challenging. There is a major hill in the state so if you are a "kick ___ and take names" hill climber it is nice but the down hill afterward is technical enough to level the playing field and I found myself caught by people thought I was saying goodbye to on the climb. If you are crazy good a descent as well you might be able to keep your edge here but I thought it was giving people a chance to catch up by being reckless. Even the race director is concerned evidenced by the many "slow" signs on the descent.

The run is unremarkable.

The Appleman:

More spectators, the town loves this event and it is a big party for them.

the water is a bit weedy but not too bad in the course, the beach is good and the run to transition is routed so it seems just long enough to get your "land legs"

The bike is not terribly remarkable and a tad short, plenty of rolling hills but not long enough to get you into a strategic climb or a perilous descent. There is one part where there is a descent that winds around some barns and things and if you pedal and stay off the brakes you can gain a lot of ground on your competition. Ride this course before the race, even if in a car, so you know about this section because it runs out well and there is no real reason to ease up but it would be a real gut check without the preview.

the run is awesome!! on road for most with plenty of profile features but it has a trial section which is legendary. At one point there is an uphill that is punishing to even walk. If you can run up a steep hill, off road, you will reduce your competitors to tears here. I ran by people walking and even standing (bent over gasping) you should preview the run course and wear trail running shoes!!!

All along the the road portion of the run the streets are lined with spectators cheering ringing cowbells and offering to spray you down with hoses.

In summary the Appleman is way more fun. But preview the courses. I do know people that won't do Appleman because of that hill. For me that hill makes the whole race. I am doing metroman in NJ this year because my wife family is vacationing down there, but other wise I will put Appleman on my calendar every year I can.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS in Long pond, Littleton Rss Feed