Canada
32F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 18m 54s
Overall Rank = 471/854
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 58/79
Pre-race routine:

Kind of a big race for me, the first race that I have ever really trained for, you know, put in the miles, did some intensity training. Really wanted 4 hours.

Got up at 4:00 a.m. after a fitful sleep. But had a good sleep Friday night and a nap during Saturday so felt fine. Went to a kids party Saturday, ate a bunch of fresh fruit and veggies and taco chips, a bit of cake. Had a light dinner of pasta and veggies. Had a couple cups of coffee, some oatmeal and a bite of a banana for breakfast. Left at 5 to pick up Taz, got to the race site 5:30ish. Found good parking. Hung around, tried to use the porta potty, limited success on that.

Event warmup:

Some jumping around. It was cold about 1C, at least the rain stopped. Watched the people come in, they said 3500 for the half and 1400 for the full, but I think the weather kept about 1/4 at home. Still, lots of people. Gun went off, people started to go. I was in the porta potty so I wandered over, watched the runners go, watch the 4:00 and 4:15 pace group go. Waited for a break and dived in.
Run
  • 4h 18m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I started out, the field was pretty dense, I took my time, tried to run the tangents, didn't jump around a lot, just took it easy, I knew the field would thin and then I could find my pace. The half and the full share the course to the turnaround for the half, so it was fairly busy.

Anyways, after about 3k it thinned out and I noted I had gone about a 5:48 pace. So, I figured, okay, drop it to 5:40 for the balance of the race and I will have my 4 hours, no problem right. I did okay, hit the hill at 14k and kept the pace for the most part. Made it the halfway point (not the turnaround mind you) at 2:03 so I am thinking the goal was out the window but I am wondering if I can make it up going down the hill. Don't know what happened, at 18k just started losing the pace.

Anyways, run around forever in the residential it seemed, wind was picking up, but not too too bad, I was just getting so tired of running around the residential, and there was some up and down, not a lot mind you, but after running for 2 hours even a little up and down is more than I wanted to deal with. I was feeling mostly good though, still passing people who started before me, pace was slowing but not too too much.

At 26k though I had the old return of the fiber, bad. Stopped me dead in my tracks, man was I pissed. Then, fortune smiled on me and 10 seconds later there is a guy, in front of his house, cheering us on, and I am like, "can I use your washroom" and he is like, "sure, don't even worry about your shoes it is all tiled." Dude saved my race, turns out the porta potties were another 3.5 k ahead, that would have sucked.

So, left buddies house, feeling good about life, thinking, this really is awesome, not worrying about my goal, because, dang, this fun. At this point I am averaging 5:50, and I am thinking I can hold that so I start going. No, can't hold the pace, end up going 6:30 pace for 30 minutes. I walk an aid station, take stock, 31 k down. Finally at the top of the hill. (cool course in that the wall is on this hill so really, you don't feel it). Note that I have a 3 minute cushion for a 4:12, that is not so bad.

So I start down the hill and I hear what sounds like a heard of buffalo or something behind me. AHHHH, it is the 4:15 pace group guy (I passed him around 10k), I figure he started about 3 minutes ahead of me so I figure I will stick with him, get home, things will be fine.

Well I made it about 5 k with him, average 6:05, it was good, I just couldn't keep it up. Interesting story, so I am running with him and this guy catches up, has a marathon maniac jersey on, they chat for a bit, turns out my 4:15 pacer is earning his jersey today, oh why you ask, because the crazy SOB ran a 50k ultra the day before. Nutty.

So, made it to 37 k. Wheels fell off pretty good at this point. Don't really remember what happened except the 4:15 guy kept getting away from me, and I had to sprint to catch up and I was thinking, dude you are going to fast, but my garmin was telling me the pace was actually slowing, lol. Last 5 k took 37 minutes.

I had nothing left at the finish, I had no kick. Okay, well a little kick, but ever so little. So Marj and Brielle after the finish, was really nice that they came out to see me.

What would you do differently?:

Start slower. But I had to try you know. I thought I had the training in place to do a 4 hour, clearly I did not. Hydration was spot on.

I never really felt good on this race. I did a 17k 5:21 training run and I did a 18k MP run after running 10k in training, in crappy windy conditions. I should have been able to hold that marathon pace longer. They say that the first half should be easy, it never was, I mean I wasn't straining, just not sailing like I expected to. I may have screwed up my taper with a pretty hard run on Tuesday, I don't know. I did miss a number of mileage goals during training. I had a tough time getting consecutive 55 mile weeks. I did a couple, but really tough to string them together. 3 20 milers, really not enough.

Post race
Warm down:

Well the weather sucked throughout, but at least the wind was down for the most part. Picked up near the finish, which was okay as gave me a tail wind, not so good when you stop. Cold, sore.

No dense carbs and the finish either, just fruit, cookies and juice boxes. Oh they had jerky too, which was cool.

Wandered around, picked up my drop off bag, hang out with some buddies.

My walk to the car took forever, seriously considered lying down for a second.

Oh, met a girl in line at the porta potties who suggested that I go to the running room to get my shoes as they were 59 bucks (regular 169) so I did, bought 2 pairs, tough to go wrong.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, lack of base. However, I should not be too hard on myself. In February at my 50k my marathon split was 5:05, and I hit the wall hard at 30k on that one, even though my pace was slower. First half marathon I did 2 years ago took me 2:18, which is longer than my second half split, so good there.

I mean I have run 1500 k this year, that isn't too shabby. I doubt I could have trained more. Although I fell well short of my goal I am having a tough time not counting this as a victory.

Oh yeah, bonus, they weighed you at the expo, I came in at 191. Unbelievable. Last weighed myself beginning of February and I was 201. Cannot remember being under 200. We are talking at least 14 years.

Event comments:

really a good race, lots of support on the course. Crappy weather, so no real post race stuff going on.

Last updated: 2009-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
04:18:54 | 26.2 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/79
Overall: 79/854
Performance: Good
Course: nice run, through downtown Calgary and up to the university and around some residential areas then back down the hill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-31 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Calgary Marathon

2010-05-31 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2891987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Calgary Marathon

Congrats - that is (looks like) a tough marathon (I only did the half and will probably never do the marathon because of the hill).  That Shaganappi hill likely added time to your race.  Glad you were able to get in to that guy's house.  What a race - saver!  Happy recovery

PS - if you remember where the house is, maybe drop off a little something as a thanks!?

Edited by tracyhmcd 2010-05-31 11:23 AM
2010-05-31 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2892030

User image

Champion
Calgary
tracyhmcd - 2010-05-31 10:22 AM

Congrats - that is (looks like) a tough marathon (I only did the half and will probably never do the marathon because of the hill).  That Shaganappi hill likely added time to your race.  Glad you were able to get in to that guy's house.  What a race - saver!  Happy recovery

PS - if you remember where the house is, maybe drop off a little something as a thanks!?

I know, but it was at 26 km, my glasses were caked in sweat......ohhhhhhhhhh....but I have my Garmin so it should be easy enough to find. I think I will have to.
2010-05-31 2:51 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Way to go hanging in there! 

The guy who let you use his facilities must be a race angel Wink  Would have saved my day too!!
2010-06-01 4:28 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
stilla  great run Darren. That shag hill is baddddd!!!!!!
Guy opens his door for you to go to the can. Only in Calgary!!
2010-06-01 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
congrats on the race, and the weight loss.

2010-06-02 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Next one will be 4hrs - for sure!
2010-06-06 6:24 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Wow ... sounds like a tough race, brr, chilly. I'm sorry you missed your 4 hour goal but you held it together. Well done. Awesome that your weight is down. 

Loved that a local allowed you to use the bathroom. Really cool.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calgary Marathon Rss Feed