Race Day Events
70sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 58m 56s
Overall Rank = 18/255
Age Group = 25-29 male
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

As usual, up quite early (5a.m.) to make sure I had plenty of time to drink some water, get my breakfast down and some coffee. Sat around after that and watched it rain. I was not happy as it's very rare that it rain's in the morning around here. Less air pressure, add a garbage bag and yellow lens sunglasses to the transition kit. Talked with my buddy Kyle for a bit about proper handling in the rain (he's never done one in the rain before) Loaded up and headed to the races.
Event warmup:

Being that it was raining, I didn't want to run or cycle and get my stuff any wetter than it already was. I jumped in the pool and did some sprints down and back, got out, took in a GU, (vanilla!) and seeded myself. As with all pool starts, it was a clusterF*@!<
Swim
  • 07m 7s
  • 383 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Obviously you can see that I am not the worlds most amazing swimmer (still)

A lot of this came from people being entirely too optimistic about their swim times. Traffic jams almost from the get go. If you are the guy I swam OVER TOP OF... sorry dude, I tapped your foot multiple times... that's code for get out of the way. I got stuck once behind a younger kid (-15) and I really didn't want to clobber him (as he had expressed concern about it while we were standing in line) so I probably could have got out of the water a bit quicker without all the drama. It's a pool start... what do you expect.
What would you do differently?:

Probably seed myself faster than I can actually swim. One guy (who had seeded himself in the under 6min group) actually WALKED/RAN the lanes... and he was ahead of me. So... next time, Start closer to the front regardless of anything else. Also, don't get behind small kids... as my conscience gets the best of me and I don't swim over them.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Everything starts off great. Out of the water and down the (rather long might I say) run to transition, going on the grass as opposed to the pavement. Grab my glasses, helmet on, shoes on (didn't leave them clipped in, as I wanted them to be dry when I put them on) Running out of transition, jump on the bike and...

• ..I simply don't know what happened, still. I clip in (I felt it AND heard it click) put pressure down on that foot and.. whack... I rack myself as my foot comes out of the pedal. Clip back in, same thing. This happens three times, finally it sticks and I'm off after looking like a Noob. (Afterwards... looking at the cleats/pedals...nothing seems wrong. The only thing I can figure is a rock got wedged in my cleat)
  • Made my T1 terrible.

Should have just went with the pedals already clipped approach... The extra dryness lasted about 15 seconds anyways. But, you live you learn.
    Bike
    • 33m 32s
    • 10 miles
    • 17.89 mile/hr
    Comments:

The hills (rolling) terrain suits my style perfectly, even in the rain. There were definitely some dangers involved in the cornering but generally everything went excellent the first 5-6 miles... at about that point, looking down at my watch I realized I was in the running for a podium. Out to the loop, back down the hill, going up the hill...

A car pulls out in front of me! Now... I know a friggin' 1999 Toyota Solara is no Ferrari, but I'm pretty sure the D@mn thing can go up a hill faster than a 150lb man on a Scott CR1... even with Zipp 404's. I literally have to BRAKE going up this hill. Finally, at the stop sign/turn, I cut INTO oncoming bike traffic (poor form I know, but I knew I could get out of the way before anyone coming that way reached the turn) and pass this stupid car. Not smart... but by this point I was p-d off. I knew it was going to be hard to break an hour after that.
    Rest of the course was uneventful. Never got passed the entire day.

Dunno what I could do different. POSSIBLY be a bit more aggressive in the turns, but after breaking your collarbone, you get just a bit timid in the rain.

Transition 2
    • 00m
    Comments:

Entering T2 was like a mine field. Pot holes, Speed bumps (not the small ones either) and just a generally bad area. I was off the bike pretty well, running shoes on, visor on, glasses off...out the gate.

Beg for smoother pavement to come into t2.
    Run
    • 18m 18s
    • 2.6 miles
    • 07m 02s  min/mile
    Comments:

The first couple hundred meters or so I was having a bit of trouble finding my legs. Down the first hill I found them and turned up the pace. Felt great, saw Kyle after the turn around, gave him a high five and some encouragement. One final hill was really a spirit crusher but then I saw the police car and knew it was going to be over soon. I started my sprint just a bit too early however. Looking down I saw I had plenty of time to break an hour, and with an hour long run tomorrow morning I didn't push for an all out sprint. Turned out to be a big mistake that cost me a podium.

Not take the year before's results as an indication as to what I would need to place. Not hold back... well... I'm not sure, I still think not burning myself out was the right choice.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Coke, Banana, water.
    Walked up to the road and watched Kyle finish.
    Saw my family and gave them a high five (not a soaking wet hug haha) Stretched a minute or two and just hung out waiting for the awards.

I ended up in 4th in my AG and 18th overall.

I was somewhat upset with myself for not pushing a bit harder on the run, as I could have dropped 40 seconds off my run if I had known I needed to, but I was a bit cocky and wanted to enjoy the finish line. (last year my time would have put me in first) Still, for a fun race, IN the rain, I broke my goal. I'll take top 20 out of 250+ people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ironman training. Absolutely ZERO speedwork. Oh, cars and a little dose of overconfidence.

Event comments:

Race Day Events always puts on a class act show. Volunteers are well informed, T1/T2 is intelligently set up (take notes Rev3Tri) and directions are clearly marked as well as extra caution indications. Sandwiches by McAllisters and plenty of candy/drinks.

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:07:07 | 383 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
    Age Group: 0/15
    Overall: 92/255
    Performance: Average
    Suit:
    Course: 50m pool, 7 lanes. I assume these numbers take into account transition times since they aren't listed by themselves.
    Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
    Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
    200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
    Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
    Waves: Navigation:
    Rounding:
    T1
    Time: 00:00
    Performance: Below average
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: Yes
    Getting up to speed: Bad
    Biking
    00:33:32 | 10 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
    Overall: 20/255
    Performance: Average
    Wind: None
    Course: Short but not sweet. Some turns that would have made a great course had it been dry. In wet conditions, it was not good news. One turn was at the bottom of a fairly long descent, and beyond 90 degrees. Add traffic (yes... open roads) and it got a bit hairy a couple of places.
    Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
    Turns: Average Cornering: Good
    Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
    Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
    T2
    Time: 00:00
    Overall: Good
    Riding w/ feet on shoes
    Jumping off bike Below average
    Running with bike Good
    Racking bike Good
    Shoe and helmet removal Good
    Running
    00:18:18 | 02.6 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
    Overall: 34/255
    Performance: Good
    Course: Fairly hilly run. Nothing too dramatic though.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 3
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2010-05-31 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area
    Subject: Foothills Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-31 7:58 PM
    in reply to: #2892602

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Montreal
    Subject: RE: Foothills Sprint Triathlon
    Woah woah woah, sick race!! Nice job, can't wait to see what you'll pull off next time! 
    2010-06-01 9:51 AM

User image

New user
    Washington, DC
    Nice race. I realize there is literally nothing worse than feeling like you didn't leave it all on the table, so my condolences. Still, nice finish regardless.
    2010-06-01 10:05 AM

User image

New user
    Washington, DC
    Nice race. I realize there is literally nothing worse than feeling like you didn't leave it all on the table, so my condolences. Still, nice finish regardless.
    2010-06-01 12:42 PM

Southeastern NC

Still kills me that a 7 min mile was not your best effort. Good job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Foothills Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed