Sunny
Total Time = 48m 18s
Overall Rank = 3543/50000
Age Group = M28
Age Group Rank = 98/509
Pre-race routine:

Four solid days of binge drinking and inhaling epic amounts of Barbecued food
Event warmup:

Misjudged the time the shuttle would take to get to the line badly and ended up being almost 30 minutes late for my wave. I hit the porta potty and attempted to do some light jogging on my way to the start, but there were too many people to do much. I jumped in with wave FC, which had a guy in a curly haired wig wearing a suit of caffeinated beef jerky packets.
Run
  • 48m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out a little fast on Mile 1, struggled through 2, 3 and 4 as a result. Miles 3 and 4 were a bit hilly I felt lightheaded like I was going to pass out at one point, but I slowed up for a bit and felt better. I rebounded a bit on mile 5 assisted more than a bit because it was mostly downhill. Mile 6 to the finish were a bit crowded.

Overall my form never felt great - combination of abusing my body for most of the week leading up to the event, and lack of conditioning for the altitude made sure I just never had the extra gear to kick out like I wanted. At the finish I felt like I had endurance to spare, but I didn't have the lungs or the top speed in me.
What would you do differently?:

Hard to say, this definitely wasn't an A race for me, I showed up and was off my PR by only 30 seconds, at altitude. I definitely wish I hadn't hallucinated into thinking I could knock out a 45:00 10k yet while I was training and dialed in a more realistic pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked up the bleachers at Folsom, collected my grab bag and my free beer, then stretched out in the shade a bit. Enjoyed my beer and checked out the expo.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall base was pretty decent, but not enough speed work.
Altitude messed with my pacing
Didn't have a concrete race plan/realistic pace in mind
Four days of beer and BBQ prior to the event certainly didn't help anything

Event comments:

This race three years ago changed my entire perspective on running from something I did as a necessity to stay in shape, into something I love doing. The race from the start to the finish in Folsom Field is a blast! I had so much fun.

Last updated: 2010-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:18 | 06.21 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 98/509
Overall: 509/50000
Performance: Below average
M1-7:38, M2-7:50, M3-7:49, M4-7:52, M5 7:38, M6 7:51
Course: BolderBoulder is awesome! Went out a little fast on the first mile, which was downhill and fast, tons of bands and spectators, people with donuts and beer, only one slip and slide, and not as many people out with the garden hoses and squirt guns as I remember from 2007, but it was a little cooler this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes