General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Iris 10K and Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Run for the Iris 10K and Half-Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keizer, Oregon
United States
Keizer Chamber of Commerce
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 12m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had an Ensure and a Breakfast Sandwich two hours before the race. At one hour before the race I registered. At 30 minutes prior to the race I had a 5 hour shot and part of a power bar.
Event warmup:

Since it was a half marathon I did a short warm-up prior to the race.
Run
  • 2h 12m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I set my timer at 9:30. I would run to a mile marker then walk until the time hit zero. This worked fine for about 8 miles, maybe earlier. At one point I missed my cutoff, at this point I walked one minute then reset the time. At the hills I fell apart. My energy level had dropped but mainly I started to get sore. I believe this is about the time I pulled my right hamstring.
What would you do differently?:

In the beginning I was walking plus two minutes. By the end I wasn't making my 9:30 splits any more.
Post race
Warm down:

I immediately got some drink and a protein bar in me. I then changed into dry clothes and went on a short walk. Finally I went to the Breakfast line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would say that I had an issue with time on my feet. My feet and legs were sore at about 9 or 10 miles. Post-race I discovered that I had strained my right hamstring. I did not really notice this during the run though.

Event comments:

Prior to the race I felt everything would be on par with my two 15k's. It was not. I do not know if it had to do with going out to fast or if I just have not been doing enough running the last few weeks. Currently I am a month out on my half IM with a strained hamstring. More questions than answers.

Last updated: 2010-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:28 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was a loop on windy on country roads. While the rain came and went the last 4 to 5 miles had the hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-02 9:12 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Run for the Iris 10K and Half-Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Iris 10K and Half-Marathon Rss Feed