General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mild hamstring injury recovery question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-03 2:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Mild hamstring injury recovery question
Folks,

I think I have a minor hamstring strain. I ran 6 miles Sunday and it hurt for the last 3 miles. I limped a little bit the rest of the day. Monday I felt fine, but rode instead of running. I haven't ran since Sunday, but have been swimming and riding. What is the best way to recover? Should I do some short slow runs now or do I need more time off? I am 6 weeks away from my HIM and can't afford to stay injured, yet I feel like I need to run. Any good strategies?

Kevin 

2010-06-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2899396

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Mild hamstring injury recovery question

Do you have an ART practitioner in your area? I have found ART to be an excellent treatment for this type of injury. Speeds recovery.

2010-06-03 5:28 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Depends on how "slight" the injury is. Last year I pulled a hamstring. It didn't seem that bad at first and I had an IM coming up so I "couldn't" afford to stop training. I ended up stopping training. If it hurts to run on it, be very careful. A little down time now is better than losing the rest of your season.
2010-06-03 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

OOh, here's one I know firsthand! I also had a mild hammy injury this spring. It just wasn't getting better. I'd never had one, so I didn't know what to do, so I researched it on the Interwebs. Ice it. That was a "duh" moment for me.

It started improving almost instantly. Ice that sucker.

2010-06-03 9:17 PM

User image

Master
chevy57 - 2010-06-03 2:05 PM Folks,

I think I have a minor hamstring strain. I ran 6 miles Sunday and it hurt for the last 3 miles. I limped a little bit the rest of the day. Monday I felt fine, but rode instead of running. I haven't ran since Sunday, but have been swimming and riding. What is the best way to recover? Should I do some short slow runs now or do I need more time off? I am 6 weeks away from my HIM and can't afford to stay injured, yet I feel like I need to run. Any good strategies?

This is one area I am intimately familiar with.  Played soccer for 20+ years and had my share of these.  Hamstrings are infuriating injuries in that they can be almost healed and you can very easily spike them again.  Ice and heat.  Rest it.  When you do start back up running be very careful if it starts hurting again.  I'd stop immediately if you feel it twinge again.  The injury can linger for a while if you aren't really careful.

I will HTFU through most injuries.  Hamstrings aren't one of them. You can easily *really* hurt it and be out for weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mild hamstring injury recovery question Rss Feed