General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running program or Sprint Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-05 2:37 PM

User image

New Orleans, LA
Subject: Running program or Sprint Program
Hey Guys,
I just joined the site today, and I have a few questions.  I have been cycling at least 15miles 3-4 days a week for about the past two months.  I would really like to start training for a sprint or olympic program, but worried about the running endurance.  Should I start with the Couch to 5K program, or do yall think I should hop into a Sprint or Olympic program?
Thanks,
donny

2010-06-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2902627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa
Subject: RE: Running program or Sprint Program
I'm interested in this question as well.

My family has always biked. I was in the middle of a 0 to 1650 swim program for my own amusement when I decided to do a triathlon (Olympic, one year away). Since I do not run at all, I decided to begin the Couch to 5K plan from coolrunning.com.

My current plan is to follow those two plans while maintaining my biking. Then, I guess I'll look at a triathlon plan. It seems to make sense to me. 
2010-06-05 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Not much info to go on. The answer could depend on your age, weight, and general overall fitness.

I came from a non-running background. I had always biked a fair amount though. Prior to starting to run at almost age 45, I had recently lost about 50 pounds and was biking around 150 miles/week. I had never run more than what is done a baseball, i.e. a little bit of short sprinting, nothing longer. When I started to run I could barely make it to the end of my block. However, because I had lost weight and had decent fitness from the biking, I was able to build up to doing my first 5K within 6 weeks. I think I ran about 27:30. Not blazing fast, but enough that I was encouraged to keep at it. Shortly after I decided to do a triathlon. It was about 6 months later that I did my first tri, because my decision had happened in late October and the next local tri wasn't until April. Gave me plenty of time to work on regaining some swimming form from my youth and working on running. My first season of tris I did 5 sprints and an oly, plus a fair number of short running events.

However, if I had not been quite as fit, and weighed lots more, the running would very likely have taken much longer to build up.

So without knowing more info, it's just a guess as to what could work for you.
2010-06-05 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dtillman86 - 2010-06-05 2:37 PM Hey Guys,
I just joined the site today, and I have a few questions.  I have been cycling at least 15miles 3-4 days a week for about the past two months.  I would really like to start training for a sprint or olympic program, but worried about the running endurance.  Should I start with the Couch to 5K program, or do yall think I should hop into a Sprint or Olympic program?
Thanks,
donny

I would probably go with the running first and work in the bike and swim on the off days.  The longer I am involved in triathlon, the more convinced I become that running is the key to the sport...  Of course that is just one person's opinion...

2010-06-05 3:48 PM

User image

New Orleans, LA
Thanks guys, then info was very helpful.  Im 23yr male weighing @ 197.  I think Im going to start off with the running program first, then work my way up to the sprint/oly. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running program or Sprint Program Rss Feed