Flatland Multisport Series
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 21s
Overall Rank = 42/397
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Got to race early. Had lots of time to think about race. Didn't sleep well before race.
Event warmup:

Did some light running and biking. Hardly got in the water; maybe 100 yds for warm-up. Did some dynamic stretching.
Swim
  • 14m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time ever doing a start off the beach. Started a lot slower than everyone else as they continually passed me before the first turn. Started to panic a little bit before this buoy but was able to calm myself down.

Turned after first buoy and was blinded by the sun and the glare off the water. Swam in the direction I thought I was supposed to be going. After a while I could make out the buoy we were heading to. Once I got to this turn it was pretty smooth sailing. Had a few nudges here and there but was able to stay away from a lot of contact.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly have some tinted goggles for races. I really don't have a gear I can crank it up to in the swim either. This probably kept me from keeping up with the lead people in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

Very quick in transition since I didn't use a wetsuit. Once I got my bike I kind of picked up the pace with it so I could have a good time (transition is my strength). Got 7th fastest time for T1 and has me even beating TJ Tollakson!

Nothing really, it went exactly as planned.
Bike
  • 34m 22s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Right away my legs felt tired. I was going fast but it felt like I was pushing too hard to go that fast. On the way out I was averaging 24s so I thought for sure we had a tailwind that I would pay for on the way back. The hills were pretty good. I was able to get into a nice gear and pass people on the hills.

When I saw the turnaround up ahead I remembered what happened to me at Bluff Creek so I started to shift down right away. I made a nice turn and realized there wasn't much wind! This was exciting for me because I was able to turn in a terrific time for the bike.

For some reason my legs felt tired almost the whole ride. I'm not sure if this is how I needed them to feel but it seems like they usually don't feel like that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

I made a mistake of swinging over my bike a little too far from the dismount line. They had lots of cones lined up but we had to go past the first cones before we dismounted. I decided I didn't want to sit on my bike anymore and jumped off it a good 30 yards from the dismount line and just ran.

I put on my race belt before my shoes. If I had done it the other way around I could have put the belt on as I was running! Just a minor adjustment.
Run
  • 20m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I got out on the course and looked at my watch and was right at a 6:30 pace. I slowed down right away so that I wouldn't tire before the finish. The run felt comfortable the whole time which really suprised me. I never saw myself running over a 7:00 pace. When I got down to the last mile I really kicked it in and got myself to average about a 6:10 pace to finish up!

My body felt fine coming out of T2 but I slowed down because of previous races. I easily could have held the pace I started with.

At the first aid station I decided to take two cups of water and splash them on myself. I probably should have drank some of that.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a massage afterwards!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slight panic in the swim and worrying about getting too tired on the run.

Event comments:

At packet pick up they told me that they had no medium jackets left even though I had put one on my order form. I'm not sure if they didn't order enough of them or if they gave them out to the late registrants but I think that was bad that they didn't save the right sizes for those who ordered them.

Last updated: 2010-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:36 | 820 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 153/397
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise swim with bouys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:22 | 12.43 miles | 21.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 44/397
Wind: Little
Course: For a while it was a pretty easy and flat course. As we neared the turn around there were two hills on the way out and one on the way back. The road was actually closed to traffic so it really helped it letting us fly!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:22 | 03.11 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 25/397
Course: Run along the lake. Broke off for half of it to run through a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes