General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 51s
Overall Rank = 41/1374
Age Group = open wave
Age Group Rank = 24/43
Pre-race routine:

got 4 hours sleep due to son up late and wife out with the friends. felt so tired when woke up at 4am. slammed some breakfast and was out the door.
Event warmup:

got a few mins run in before heading to the swim start. legs felt really heavy. never got a chance to warmup on the swim.
Swim
  • 28m 11s
  • 1800 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was really rough for me and it didnt help that the course was 300m long due to the race director measuring it in nautical miles. got a nice jump but within a min or 2 my legs felt so heavy and tight i thought they were going to pull me under. i wasnt able to get comfortable and everyone started pulling away. i had only swam twice in the past month since utah and it showed. i tried to take off fast and it killed me. i did manage to settle down on the second half of the swim and cruise with a group but even that was tough at times. i really debated quiting after the first few mins but i thought better of that and told myself to get over the pain. came out of the water and saw my watch and thought you have to be f'n me. it wasnt until later the race director confirmed the course was way long. good thing b/c i swam the same course last yr in 21min.
What would you do differently?:

must stay consistent with swim training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

not too bad but was slowed slightly to get wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.72 mile/hr
Comments:

legs were heavy early and i was breathing hard. each lap seemd to get quicker and did a good job to hold most folks off. had a few people pass me and worked with a couple guys on the last lap. finished roughly the same time as last yr so not too bad. considering my bike split in utah and not much riding since i would have thought i would be slower.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

lost a few seconds as usual putting socks on and due to rough ground and long run thru transition i was running slow with my bike.
Run
  • 43m 29s
  • 6.61 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run with upset stomach. i used some old sports drink mix that had been in the closet for 2 yrs and i think it didnt go down very well on the bike. during the first mile on the run a caught 1 guy and ran with him the rest of the way. it was roasting outside by now and i was dumping lots of water on my head. just like the swim and bike, my legs were soooo tired. i had not other gear so i did my best to stick with the guy i caught. around the start of the 2nd loop he gap'd me and stayed about 20m ahead for a mile. around mile 5 i caught him (or he faded) and i passed him. near the last mile he must have really faded b/c i was near me as i came the the chute. the run was difficlut down the stretch b/c a #2 was knocking on the back door and i manage to puke in my mouth at one point. good times!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

i was so glad to be done with this race but glad i did it. i need to knock the rust off my body from so much slow training over the past yr. i plan to race several sprints and build to a fast time at the austin tri. then pickup the distance for longhorn.

Last updated: 2010-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:11 | 1800 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 69/1374
Performance: Below average
Suit: xterra full
Course: single loop in town lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:52 | 24.85 miles | 23.72 mile/hr
Overall: 61/1374
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops thru downtown with a couple short/steep hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:29 | 06.61 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 48/1374
Performance:
Course: 2 loops around downtown
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed