Revolution 3
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 43s
Overall Rank = 162/
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/52
Pre-race routine:

The day before, as I was loading my bike on the car, I noticed that the tire had a huge hole in it and the tube was bulging through, so, when I set up transition, I had to change the tube and replace the tire. So things didn't start well, let's say.
Woke up around 4am, got dressed in the hotel bathroom, went downstairs and had a bagel and pb, a banana and some coffee, then took a cab to the race site. Set up transition and it started to rain, so I hid out under an awning for a while.
Event warmup:

Got in the water for a short swim, went to adjust the suit a little, and it tore. The hole was small and right on the seam. Dammit.
Swim
  • 21m 6s
  • 1728 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started well, despite the hole in my suit. Got to the first bouy quickly, but took too wide a turn around it and ended up a bit off course. Same for the last turn. I was surprised at my swim time, because I didn't feel like this was a particularly good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better. I did a much better job at the Great Hudson River swim the week before in much tougher conditions.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I couldn't find the zipper on my suit and it took me forever to get it off. I felt light headed and dizzy after the swim, so I needed a moment to get myself together before I started getting on my helmet and stuff. Not a good transition for me.

Not sure. That never happened to me before.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 33s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 15.90 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the hardest course, by far, that I've ever been on. There was never a moment when I wasn't either grinding up a steep or long climb or flying down a hill at breakneck speed. I hit 49+mph at one point! But this bike leg was absolute torture, esp knowing that a hot hilly run course was coming up. I tried as much as I could to conserve something for the run, but you can't coast uphill. I was gassed by the time this was over.

Train on more hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This was a little better. Got into my shoes and out of T2 pretty fast. Put on my visor, sunglasses and race number on the way out.
Run
  • 1h 13m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run as fast as I could and take walk breaks of :30 to :45 at the aid stations as needed. I started off ok and felt pretty good up to about mile 2. At that point, on the first big hill, my quad started to cramp, and I had to walk for a while before it loosened up. At about mile 3, my calf started to hurt, and at that point, it became a deathmarch. I probably walked almost as much as I ran over the last 3 miles. My legs hurt like he!!, I was having trouble keeping anything down, though I didn't puke, and I had nothing left in the tank after the bike.
I was able to run the last .3 miles or so, and ran down the finish chute with my son, which I've never done before-- that made the last couple of hours of misery feel a lot better.

No way did I give this race the respect it deserved. I didn't do nearly enough due diligence in either my training or my preparation. I should have run and ridden many more hills than I did. I was severely underprepared for this course and I paid for it big-time.

I consider it a huge victory to finish in anything close to 3 hours.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a masseuse to work on my calf and quad and felt ok. Went and got some food and then spent the day at the amusement park.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills, lack of proper training or preparation.

Event comments:

This was a GREAT event. Incredibly well run, great expo, transition area, swag, post-race, website, everything. Being able to go with my family after the race to the amusement park was fantastic.
I would do another REV3 event in a heartbeat--I'd even do this one again, as much as it hurt.
It was 100% my fault that I wasn't prepared for this race. My one callout is that REV3 does such a great job of being family-friendly that they could easily give one the impression that this is a good beginner's race. It's not. It's a tough, hilly, technical course that can eat you alive if you're not prepared for it.

Last updated: 2010-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:06 | 1728 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/52
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Comp2 Full
Course: Triangular out-and back in a very calm, clear, warm lake. By far the most pleasant body of water I've ever raced in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:33:33 | 24.8 miles | 15.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/52
Performance: Below average
HR was sky-high when I started the course.
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, hills and more hills. Did I mention there were hills?
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:13:48 | 06.2 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/52
Performance: Bad
Course: Still more hills. There were steep, long climbs at miles 2 and 3, and another killer climb at 5.2 miles that went up to about .25 from the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes