General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early bird no longer gets the work for Houston Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-07 12:56 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: Early bird no longer gets the work for Houston Marathon
Lottery has been implemented.  Not sure I like this.
http://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/GeneralInfo/FAQ.cfm#Registration

edit: no, I know I am upset about it. 

Edited by TriPatrick 2010-06-07 1:00 PM

2010-06-07 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2905644

TX
Subject: RE: Early bird no longer gets the work for Houston Marathon
I would like to see a guaranteed entrance for runners who have run a certain time. This is the exact same process as the NYC Marathon (ie an open male who runs a sub 1:23 half or sub 2:55 marathon or an open female who runs a sub 1:37 half or a sub 3:23 marathon, are guaranteed entry), which also uses a lottery system.

If you do not like the lottery system, sign up as a Charity Runner and you are guaranteed a spot.

It is a unfortunate that our race will now be excluding people and that not everyone will be able to race it. Houston has established itself as a great national race, which is reflected in our hosting both 2012 trials. Not to mention we had 6 males run under 2:10 this year. The secret is out that Houston is a great race and the demand to race it is there. I do not think the lottery system will take anything away from the race, quality wise.

Remember, you don't have to be racing to be part of the Marathon. Volunteers and supporters are always needed.

Good luck to all.
2010-06-07 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2906412

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

There are several popular races with lottery systems, that's just how it goes with a good race. 

Regarding the 2nd comment here, it doesn't really seem possible to argue that there should be a guaranteed spot for runners of a certain speed but then say that it takes the opportunity away from those who want to race.  That only solves the problem for the faster people.  At least with the lottery, everyone really does get a chance.

I do wish with lotteries that the time frame was shorter, like a single day.  Or they can weight those who sign up earlier. 

The Borklund half, at Grandma's, used to use a rolling lottery kind of deal.  You mailed in your registration and they put them in a barrel and picked at intervals.  The benefit for the locals being that their mail reached the office sooner and they had a better chance.  Although now they use the same sort of lottery as everyone else - online.

2010-06-07 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2905644

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Glad this was posted,, I was planning on running this year. Standing by the computer when it opened, I guess I won't have to do that now and will need to find a back up race just in case .. yikes..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early bird no longer gets the work for Houston Marathon Rss Feed