Flatland Multisport Series
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 23s
Overall Rank = 10/18
Age Group = Co-Ed Team
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Doing a relay is way different than doing a whole Tri. Race start was 8. I got there at 7. Talked to teammates, friends, Etc. after I put my bike in place. I had a banana and a bagel along with some Tea bewfore I left the house.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike about 15 minutes making sue everything was right and got my bike in the right gear (mistake I made in Kansas City). Then I went and chatted folks up some.
Swim
  • 15m 38s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

All three of us were either injured or worn out. Andy needs shoulder surgery and struggled with the swim. Additionally, someone froggy kicked him in the groin from the wave before him and he vomited in the water and had to side stroke a little while to swallow the ball stuck in his throat and get his composure back.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a cup? Not sure what to do about froggy kickers. Certainly they have a right to be out there, but maybe they should be made to wear a ball. You just can't see 'em until it is too late.
Transition 1
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

So - they do relays a little different at these races. All swaps have to happen "in the box". Well, there were 18 people trying to stand in a 4' x 8' box with a volunteer screaming about how both people have to be in the box. Cluster. Whatever. I already had my helmet and shoes on. Andy ran up and put the chip on my ankle and off I went. Grabbed my bike, ran out the other side and smooth take off.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 52m 13s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.28 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the course that I had my wreck on two weeks ago and I had a little flashback going down the hill (even though there were cops there to stop traffic). I set a good pace out right around 22 and was passing lots of people (cause you know, I didn't have to run afterword). I passed another guy with a T on his calf and a little while later he passed me and then I passed him back and we just kind of decided to work together and let the runner's decide it - without actually discussing it. This course is really flat until you get to about a mile from the turnaround, then is is uphill twice on the way out and once on the way back. About halfway up the first hill I had this guy pass me and he said - "I have been chasing you since we left transition and I can't believe it took me this long to catch a guy with a cast on his hand - you got balls". Then he passed me. About half way up the second hill I had to go to my small ring and as IU switched down I dropped my chain - and it got stuck in between the bottom chainring and the frame. So I am trying to get it unstruck and this guy is standing next to me (a lot of bikers had come out to help on the course and were cheering folks on) and giving me advice, fully aware that he couldn't help. Finally got it back on and took off, went to shift back down to the smaller ring and off it comes. Four times this happens. Finally, I just decide I am going to have to ride the rest of the way on the big ring. So I stand and plow to the top. I get there and there is a flat section that goes to turnaround (at which point some d'bag passes me on the inside while we are whipping the 180) and I stand and get back up to speed. The back down the hill and I am pushing hard so that I will have some aid in getting back up. The climb was hard but I never slowed to less than 10 mph. back down the hill towards this tricky set of RR tracks that didn't cross the street perpendicular and then headed back down the flat stretch. About halfway there I came to teo conclusions. The first was that I had toasted my legs and I was having trouble keeping 15 mph on the flats. The secoind was the hill that I crashed going down on two weeeks ago was most likely the toughest climb on the course as it was short, but very steep. I needed my small ring. I didn't want to chance dropping the chain on the bottom part of the hill, so I changed over slowly and easily very early and pedaled high cadence to watch what the ring would do. It rattled a lot but stayed on and I climbed the hill. The rest of the way in is super flat so I gave all thee leg I had left. Got my feet out and came in hot enough to have a volunteer kid of freak out and yell at me before I jumped off and was at a full run. Went to the rack, threw the bike on - ran out with my helmet on to the box and strapped the chip on Bethany's ankle. I needed a beer in the most severe way, plus my hand hurt like hell, though I didn't notice it until then. My Garmin says I was under 4 MPH for 6:22 on that section of hill, so that is probably pretty close to what I lost - maybe 6 even. That would have put my split at right around 45 minutes vs the 51:13.

Have a bike that worked properly? At the LBS now and I don;t know what is wrong with it yet. Have an Oly tri on Sunday.
Transition 2
  • 00m 16s
Comments:

Bethany was waiting for me. She has small ankles.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Bethany ran the Dam to Dam 20K on Saturday and then came out with us to run on Sunday, She is pretty good. She did Dam to Dam in 8's and this in 7's. She said that it was a nice race, but she though she could have gotten either first or second if it was a 10k as she is not a sprinter. Sometimes I want to choke her.

Let her do the whole race?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had some water, chocolate milk, water, watrer, fruit sammich water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries, breakdoiwns, getting kicked in the cajones.

Last updated: 2010-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:38 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 10/18
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Clockwaise around 4 buoys, finish up the boiat ramp.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:13 | 12.43 miles | 14.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 13/18
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This is the course in which a car pulled out in front of me on May 21st and I broke my hand. To be honest, I was a little scared of it, even though it was mostly colsed to traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 3/18
Performance: Good
Course: Around the lake - up the hills through the village - back down and finish the loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %Nil
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: Copper Creek Triathlon

2010-06-08 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2906895

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Copper Creek Triathlon
Team event sounds pretty fun, although the pile of injuries doesn't.  The LBS should be able to get you back up and running pretty quickly, sounds like a limit screw adjustment to me.  See you this weekend for Hy-Vee!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Copper Creek Triathlon Rss Feed