Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Triathlon Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-07 9:20 PM

Subject: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread

This weekend will be my first triathlon, and actually I will be doing the TRY-a-TRI. I am pretty nervous about it and what is stressing me out the most is the transitions. They say they we need to be there for 8:30 and my race only starts at 11:00 so when do we get to set up our bikes and running gear? Do we need to show up before 8:30 to set everything up?

I have checked out the map on the webiste and I dont find it very useful. You can't even see where you are supposed to run! Are there hills in the run?

So if anyone has ever done the Tremblant triathlon any comments/suggestions would be most welcome!

Thank you!

2010-06-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2907074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
First of all, relax. It will go very well. This is a very well organized event. Many people who I have spoken to consider one of the funnest around.

The reason they want everyone there at 8:30 is to explain the rules.

The transition area is right between lac moore and the race track where we will bike. There is a road leading in and out of the site and that is where they run. There is a hill when leaving the transition which means you will finish on a downhill.

Last year I arrived at 7AM and my race wasn't until 9. But given this is your first, some of the time you will spend waiting around can be used to watch and learn how others do tranistion etc. But do not change your plan, execute what you have practiced.

The first thing that will surprise you, it surprised me, is how long the swim course looks. When you're in a pool you see the other end 25m away. When you get into the lake and see those buoys so far out, it's kind of freak. Ignore it.

The bike course is super fast. But there is a big hill. Hard to believe on a race car track, but it is not a negligeable hill. Make sure you get your gearing right going into the hill. I saw several people last year have to walk up. It's not a long hill, maybe a minute, but it does get pretty steep.

The run is nice. Yes there is that hill at first but you will be coming out of tranistion. I like to take small, fast steps, just go easy up the hill and by then your legs should be fealing normal.

good luck, you will enjoy it.
2010-06-08 8:02 PM

Thank you so much for your response! I find it very helpful!

I just have one last question, when do you actually set up your bike and running gear? Is it before the 8:30 meeting or right after it? I would like to know if we need to show up much before 8:30 as we are coming in from out of town!

Thanks!
2010-06-08 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I did this triathlon last year and loved it! I think you should still get in before 8:30am to set up. Although that means waking up earlier than planned, you'll probably set up your transition before most (if not all) of the races start so that it's fair to all those racing - and less chaotic. 
Yes, if you live far away it'll suck to get up early, but you'll have a whole lot to watch and see and learn from! 
Personally, I'm getting up at 4am to drive from Montreal to Mont Tremblant. I think my race is at 9am.
I hope this helps!! 
2010-06-09 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal
I was there last year....expensive triathlon for what you got, IMHO.
2010-06-10 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
Wich distance do you sign up ? It'll be my first triathlon too. I'll do the sprint one for my first one. I sleep in a condo near the event and I will be there I think for 07h00 or 07h45 something like that. I'm nervous too because the sprint is a Coupe du Québec qualification and I don't know the quality of the racer who will be there. Anyway I do it for myself so if I'm the last one, I will be the last one but I prefer to be in the main group. For the transition, do you see before a triathlon? Usually it's not difficult but only have to be focus. Prepared my transition area don't take a lot of time usually. I will see and speak with the racer to relaxe a bit. Maybe I will see you there. Have fun and don't be effraid we will finish it anyway.

2010-06-10 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think the Coupe du Quebec field will be pretty competitive. Expect  50 aggressive people across the age groups who want to score points.

I did one Coupe du Quebec last year and the swim was crazy.

Maybe they will start people in waves, that would help.
2010-06-11 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
I will see tomorrow Cool. The temperature suppose to be good so it'll be fast.
2011-06-06 6:26 AM

I'm kind of scared of the big hill in the bike course...   I have a TT bike so not much of low gears to handle big hills!   I'm not a very good cyclist, much more of a runner, so it scares me... 

How much time will I have to climb it if I do a sprint?

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Triathlon Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed