General Discussion Race Reports! » Hafnarfjordur Olympic Triathlon 2010 (Iceland) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hafnarfjordur Olympic Triathlon 2010 (Iceland) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hafnarfjordur,
Iceland
11C / 52F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 37s
Overall Rank = 1/32
Age Group = under 40
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Race start was 8:30 :( That is very early for me.

This was a 3 person race, a very good swimmer (Ólafur), a very good runner (Steinn) and then me a good biker. This is a small country so we dont have that many triathletes and right now we are 3 who are a class above the rest, why ? Because we train a LOT more and that is the only reason, there are a lot a talent out there they just need to train more.
That is why I am only talking about the 3 of us. And we where 1-3 the whole way through.
Event warmup:

Easy spin on the bike, easy short run and 400m in the pool before we started.
Swim
  • 22m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

This did not go as well as I would have liked. I tried to draft Steinn but he was trying to draft Ólafur and that was a pace I could not keep, so after 100m I was alone. I never really found a good rhythm and was not able to glide as much as I would have liked.

I knew Ólafur was going to lap me at some point the only question was when ! I was hoping he would not lap me more then once, that way I should be with 3 minutes of him and I should be able to pull that back on the bike. I got to 775m before he passed me and was able to draft him for the 25m to the wall where I lost him on the flip turn, he got a meter of the wall and I did not try to pull it back, I was right on the limit already and there still was a long way to go. Ólafur did not lap me again but he did come pretty close, on the last laps I also lost a lot of ground on Steinn who was out of the pool over a minute ahead. Over last 500m or so I was already thinking about T1 and the bike and was mentally ready for it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Finally the swim was over and I could get out of the pool, I ran quite fast to my bike and was a bit surprised when I realized that Steinn was nowhere in sight.

T1 was almost as fast as it could possible be, I only lost maybe 5 seconds as I had some problems getting my helmet strap closed.

Jumped on the bike and was off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
I was racing just in a tri-suit. It was a bit cold in the beginning but then it was ok, it was like 11C/52F :)
Bike
  • 1h 02m 16s
  • 39.6 kms
  • 38.16 km/hr
Comments:

Time is with both T1 and T2 included (probabaly around 1 minute not more)

Started hard but controlled. It was quite hard the first 5k or so before the legs where ready to bike. Going up KV I could see Steinn had gotten a good lead, and Ólafur was far far ahead. I managed to pull Steinn just before the top where I was also able to get an Idea of Ólafur’s lead….it was big…… When I turned at the top I could not even see him. I was now starting to question if I would be able to catch him and I then would have to run him down, not something I was looking forward. Due to a little headwind going down KV it was not as “easy” as I was expecting. At the turn around at the pool I estimated he had about 1:45 still a huge lead :(

Then at the turn some idiot came out from the pool in a big SUV and went down the road just in front of me. This would not have been so bad except for the fact that he was going about 25km/h. I got really mad and he moved a bit to the left there was a gab of about 1 meter and I powered through it, I was almost at 50km/h when I got to the next round about and actually had to slow to make sure I would make it. I was still in an “angry” mode when I got onto KV and was powering up at over 40km/h and suddenly I was able to see Ólafur up ahead. He still had a good lead but I could see that I had gotten a lot closer to him. I knew I was not going to catch him before T2 but he would defiantly be within striking distance.

Going of KV I got the last chance to get a time split, it was down to about 45-50s.

Coming in to T2 I almost landed in trouble as I did not get my foot out of the shoe until the 3rd attempt. I just managed to get both shoes of before jumping of the bike.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

As I ran in with the bike I could see Ólafur was just leaving transition, for a second I felt good as he was in visible range. Then as always I got some cramps putting my shoes on and it took 3 attempts before I could run out of T2

Nothing
Run
  • 39m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 58s  min/km
Comments:

It was hard on the legs getting into running mode and the bit of leg cramps did not help. What did help was that I could see Ólafur up ahead and I was closing in on him fast :)

Then at turn 2, where we should go to the right and the right after to the left, he went straight ! I was confused and was wondering if I had gotten it wrong. But as I got passed the house I could see the cone at the left turn. There where 2 hjolamenn there and we managed to get Ólafur’s attention and got him turned around. So within seconds I went from being behind to having a small lead. For a couple of seconds I thought about waiting for him, as this was not really how I wanted to (maybe) win this. Then I thought I would be a lot better of if he had to use some extra strength catching me, so I kept on running. I look back a couple of times but I did not see him again until the turn around. Here my lead had gotten up to about 1 minute and I felt sure I would be able to keep him behind me. Just 7,5k to go. Now the big question was where Steinn was. In knew he would be running hard and a lot faster then me, so there was no relaxing. When I did meat him I had about a 5 minute lead :) Now I could concentrate on keeping my turn over rate up and trying to run as “relaxed” as possible so I would not have to stop because of cramps like I did last year in the HIM. But it all worked out and I was able to cruise to victory :) The only probably at the end was that there was no finish line !!!

So I was not really sure where to go and just went for the drinking station which turned out to be the right choice :)

Total time 2:04:16

I would have liked to run a bit faster but I have been lacking a bit of speed coming of the bike lately I think I just need to run some more.

I think this would have been a lot closer had Ólafur not gone wrong. I am sure I would have caught him, but would I have been able to run away from him ?

I am sure he would have fought with everything he had to keep up with me and I am sure it is only a question of time before a Tri is going to come down to a sprint finish. (Hopefully there will be a finish line ready when that happens)

Nothing really get in better running shape !

Post race
Warm down:

Nothing
Sat down and started drinking and eating.

Last updated: 2010-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 3/32
Performance: Below average
Suit: Trisuit
Course: 50m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:16 | 39.6 kms | 38.16 km/hr
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 1/32
Performance: Good
According to my bike computer the course was a bit short.
Wind:
Course: 2 laps not really any flats. Rolling hills up to the top. Height diff just over 150m not a lot but going through the open lave field there are no protections from the wind. Luckily there was not that much wind and it was a tailwind going uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:39:44 | 10 kms | 03m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 3/32
Performance:
Course: 2 laps around the neighborhood. Laps where within 10s so good even pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: Hafnarfjordur Olympic Triathlon 2010 (Iceland)

2010-06-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2908196

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Hafnarfjordur Olympic Triathlon 2010
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hafnarfjordur Olympic Triathlon 2010 (Iceland) Rss Feed