General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-09-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2908749

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
KathyG

Sorry I missed the pre-race swim. Got to the race site late on Friday. How did you make out at the race?

2010-09-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3117952

User image

Champion
MA
TriBee - 2010-09-26 11:10 AM KathyG

Sorry I missed the pre-race swim. Got to the race site late on Friday. How did you make out at the race?

8:28

Swim was longer than I hoped and longest IM swim to date but current and slight waves hurts slower swimmers like me. I got stung by something at far end of second loop on my head and finger.

Bike was pretty good...negative split first and second half by 10', no one passed me after 75-90' and I passed lots of men and women.

It was very different roads and conditions compared to where I train so it was good for me. It was hotter than I expected but that didn't bother me much but wind is hard to figure out. I had to change my nutrition as I was refluxing a lot..so went with straight gels..got boring.

Some weird things..no mile markers on course, guy at registration told me we'd have Gatorade Pro 2 but no it was Gatorade Endurance, asked if Kevin could take bus with me to swim start & would bus go back-yes, no bus back so he had to walk thru the nasty part of town until another race spectator picked him up, I never saw we could part at swim start in any of the handouts, first aid station and last on loop was manned by guys on work release who had to leave to go back to their facility so only two folks manning last aid station. In emails they didn't say you wouldn't get back bike sn bag. Kevin said they announced it some time but why not leave them where they were and we could go pick them up if we wanted when done and if not then they could throw them away.

I'd do it again but stay in town. Folks suggested looking at Bed and Breakfasts or Vbro to find a good beach place inexpensive since it is off season.

How did you do?
2010-09-26 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
I hope everyone had a good race.  My wife and I did a solo century about 10 miles from the race site yesterday, and I know it was unseasonably hot for this time of year. 
2010-09-26 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
Cman 1 Me 0

did the swim in around 1:28 about what I was expecting. the ride was hot I tried riding conservatively, hydrate well and take salt tabs/ecaps but by mile 90 I was on the side of the road puking up my breakfast. DNF. Am really ticked off that today is 70 degrees and overcast and I feel fine.
2010-09-26 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Joe...ohh that is disappointing.

Kevin was driving around watching me on the bike course and saw a lot of folks on side of the road having issues. Were you by chance wearing a Ohio State jersey as he saw someone sick on side of road towards the end of the bike.

Last 20 miles on the bike I saw a lot of folks stopped trying to regroup.

Weather today was so different and so much cooler

Be kind to yourself as DNF on A race can be tough mentally.
2010-09-27 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Bummer on the heat issues, looked like the winds may have changed direction from what I could tell when I checked on weather conditions from work.

Did anyone notice if there was anyone camping or tents around the high school.  Just curious if it was an okay setup for a night or two to keep a quick trip cheap.  I'm glad I pulled the plug on my season as I don't think I would've slept much with the warm temps in a tent before the aquabike.

2010-09-27 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A couple of things....

1) I saw one tent at the high school-but that was later in the day Saturday. Probably OK for a cheap trip, but might do better to head up to Easton (15-20 minutes away) for one of the cheaper hotels there that has a fridge and microwave. And it would have been a hot and muggy night before race day. Of course, a BT camp out might be fun....

2) I was signed up just for the swim (preparing for B2B iron aquabike). Despite going off course three times the first lap (the start in the middle of the triangle--vs outside the buoy--really threw me) I beat my goal time by more than three minutes. I bet my second lap was a good ten minutes faster than my first!

3) I did a training ride after the swim, and was glad I wasn't out there for the whole 112. Not a speck of shade on the course, hot and windy. I noticed my speed picked up 30 seconds per mile and my heart rate dropped 20 bpm as soon as I turned out of the headwind.

4) I agree that organizers could do a much better job with information. For example, the map they gave out had directions over a bridge that had clearly been closed for some time; instructions were for swimmers to park on side streets near the swim finish--got there and all the streets were posted no parking--parked blocks away only to find out that there was parking at the site; no water temps posted on the website night before or day of, not even at the swim start; no emails clearly detailing what to expect race day/on the course--eg, the white buoys in the middle of the triangle are the start line, you will then swim to outside of the first yellow buoy, etc. It also would have been nice to know in advance that the run transition/race finish did not have any food or drink for purchase.

All in all, though, I like smaller races, and this one strikes me as a good, first iron distance (if you can handle the heat), or a really good aquabike prep for IMs later in the season that have flat, windy courses.
2010-09-27 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
no I was in my team aqupahor kit. hey Brian how'd it go?
2010-10-01 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3119840

User image

Elite
Joe_h - 2010-09-27 2:25 PM no I was in my team aqupahor kit. hey Brian how'd it go?

Hey Joe, I just saw this message today.  It was brutal out there man!  Elation isn't a strong enough word to explain how I felt after finishing my first 140.6.
Listen, you WILL be out there again.  You WILL finish 140.6.
I just hope you don't have to it in 90+ degree weather!

I put up my race report...all the gory details...huuge welt from Mr. Jellyfish...could not keep fluids down all day (including before the race) ...one thing I did figure out, the red coloring used in Shotbloks?  Yeah, that stuff doesn't come back up.  For some reason, everything else I put down my throat came back up...but no red ever came back up.  Interesting.  I think it's beet juice extract.  Dwight Schrute would be proud.  The beet juice sustained me.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4