General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practice tri in the books, bring it on! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-12 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Practice tri in the books, bring it on!
The local tri club has been having practice tri's the last 3 weekends before the race tri next Sunday. I joined them Saturday and also met up with CameronW for this forum.

The open water swim was interesting, in that I didn't have to worry about the swim, just building the confidence of swimming in the open water. 71F water is not bad at all when the air temp is at or below it! Afterwards we all got on our bikes and did a 15 miler, 10 mph tailwinds are nice, turning around and then having it as a headwind is a mental builder for sure, we'll see what happens Sunday. The run was fun for me, I was able to run with two other guys that had a real good pace so now I know I can bike 15 miles and run a 7:15 pace and still finish strong!

I did take a hard 1 hour nap in the afternoon that really helped with my recovery. Surprisingly, I didn't get any soreness with my legs so I feel that I am ready physically and now also mentally. This week I'm going to taper and cut out any bike/run after Wednesday and swim twice with hopefully one other open water.

6 days and counting....

Don

2004-04-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: #17926

User image

Regular
Boise ID
Subject: RE: Practice tri in the books, bring it on!
7:15 per mile pace on a practice race? Sounds like you should have a long and productive tri career.

We need times for the whole race though. What were the swim and bike distances and times. Also, are they the same distances of the race you will be doing? We need details.
2004-04-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: #17970

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I hope so :-)

I've been doing a lot of running this winter since in FL it is the ideal time to be running! I've been able to lower my 5k run race pace from 7:45 last August to recent 7:03/5's

We did the actual course except the swim which we did along the shore between piers to limit open water exposer to boats and such. Swim wise it took me 17 minutes for the 1/3 mile (true distance based on my car odometer) and getting used to the open water. I do need to learn how to swim and lift my head up to check where I'm going without stopping!

Bike we did the 99.9% of the 15 mile course. I was able to average 17.9 mph down and back on the mnt bike (50:15). I didn't go 100% down-wind but was forced to work pretty hard though on the way back up-wind.

The run was on the race course. Since it was a practice, we all waited for everyone to finish the bike then started out as a group and went from there, I had about 5 minutes of rest time before we started, maybe longer but not too much more.

The Race tri distances are: 0.3 mile swim, 15m bike and 3.3m run. I'm sure I'll be running a slower pace during the race as I'll have less rest time in the T2. However, I'm still targeting 7:30 or less. Based on the race results of the last two years, I'm sure I'll have a top 10 placement barring a flat tire. If I can get my swim target time, decrease the bike time a minute and slow down to a 7:30 pace I will even have a shot at the top 5 and that is going to drive me!

Here's a link for the event:
http://www.sctriathletes.com/pineapple/Pineapple%20Triathlon.htm

Don

2004-04-12 12:50 PM
in reply to: #17926

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Yes, the training was great! We actually did the race course (.3/15/3.3). It was great to meet Don! I also met Mark from this forum. Should be a great race. I learned some good lessons for the race and will be sure to learn from them :-)  I took the run easy, so no soreness at all for me. My taper will be same intensity and frequency through Thursday with about half the volume. I awill also do a moderate carbo load this week starting today.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practice tri in the books, bring it on! Rss Feed