Cumberland YMCA
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 13s
Overall Rank = 32/207
Age Group = M51-59
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 AM, usual coffee, whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and raspberries, protein mix with skim milk. Leave house at 5 something, more coffee on the way.
Event warmup:

I didn't really do one for this, though I probably should've. I did try jogging here and there when I went back to the car for stuff. I probably should've jogged or maybe even swum a bit. I don't think for this short of a race it would've made too much difference but it might not have hurt, especially on the bike.
Swim
  • 09m 6s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Geez, almost missed the start. Start time was 9 AM and I realized at 8:40 that I best get my wetsuit on. Left it in the car which wasn't very far in the parking lot rather than hauling it down to transition. That was almost a mistake. Got it on and fast walked around to where the start was. I wasn't completely late as the race director who would start us was behind me. But, still... Got wetsuit on finally and had problems getting my cap on of all things. Got out amoungst the guys and moved up into the crowd just in time to hear "30 seconds...". Gosh,talk about cutting things close! Countdown continues and I start my watch with just under 20 seconds to go. 10 seconds....5..4..3..2..1..(air blast!). And we're off! What a mass of bodies!! But, I'm actually not doing too bad as I move along and I just have to watch for folks stopping or breaststroking as this is a large beginner tri. I'm sighting pretty well out to the buoy and seem to be making good prgress. Round the buoy and head to shore. Started to get tired on the way back but still seem to be moving okay. Moving straight not quite as good here and I sight more than I would've liked. I also had to still watch for folks. Passed one person doing sidestroke! Well, you do what you have to. Finally saw vegetation and knew I was getting close to completing the swim. Final push and decided it was shallow enough to stand. Out of the water and jogging across the timing mat. Have a bit of problems with finding my wetsuit strap but finally do locate it and peeling it off as I head into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Considering my shoulder problems the last few months, I think this is a good time for me presently. I think I might have started out a bit too fast but overall I thought the swim was about average for me and a decent time considering.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

T1 was a bit tricky because I was near the back from the bike out/in part and it was also uphill. It was first come, first serve and the International folks racked the night previously. So for the bike I wasn't able to get near the in/out where I like to be. I didn't really have a problem with getting my suit off, though, and this is a typical time for me, perhaps even a bit better considering that the transition zone was uphill and I was near the back.

Not much that I can think really think of.
Bike
  • 26m 36s
  • 8 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

It had rained a little bit before the race, so the road was wet as well as the visor on my aero helmet. So, a little difficult to see. I didn't need sunglasses as it was still overcast. Now, I'm doing okay getting up to speed but my legs are telling me they're not exactly ready for this. Hence why I probably could've warmed up a bit more. But, gotta try and ignore them and see if I can get a bit of speed going. This course has some significant rollers and so the story of the day on the bike is that I would pass a good number of folks downhill only to be passed again uphill. This is really how it went with the guys around me for the rest of the course, especially with a couple of guys. One I met while setting up and he was encouraging me along when we exchanged places. I think he said his legs were burning and I mentioned that he'll need to save something for the run. I pass him one more time coming into the park. Now it's time to get out of shoes and here's where disaster nearly struck. As I get out of my left shoe, I accidentally pedal a bit before getting my foot on top. It hits the pavement and my bike starts to skid! I feel control being lost as I head towards a curb! But, the shoe pops off and I'm able to recover in time. A bit shaken (not stirred ;-) ), but now I realize I have to balance barefoot on the pedal as I near the dismount. Let me tell ya, this is a bit uncomfortable! But, I don't have to do it for long and smartly dismount in front of the curb I have to pick my bike over. I had yelled to the nice volunteers my number and that my shoe was back there and it sounded like someone was going to retrieve it as I headed into T2.

Well, I need to get my weight down to tackle these hills better. Also, need to remember that I have to put my foot on my shoe BEFORE going for the next one. That could've really ruined my day if I had hit the curb.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Now, though T1 was relatively far away from the bike in/out, I unknowingly racked nearly right across from the run out part of transition. So, easy to get out right after I was done with everything. I gave a quick thought about socks but dismissed the idea as I had a bit of a problem even getting the first one positioned correctly. With a 5K, it's a toss up. So went without socks. This was a good decision on my part come the finish line. As it was still cloudy, no visor and no glasses. No water belt either. Out pretty quickly though my time is estimated as they didn't have splits for T2. It might've been faster than that but I'm going off of the difference between the run time and what my watch says for a run time.

Not much really. It helped that I was right next to the run out and it was a good decision to go without socks.
Run
  • 23m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

My run time is estimated from my watch as it looked like they grouped T2 times and run times together. The run time said 24:47 and I was pretty sure I was moving better than that for most of the run. As I haven't been really running either since the Ft Ritchie Du, it took my legs a little bit to get going. So, in the beginning, at least two of the guys who I was trading places with on the bike passed me on the run. Then unfortunately, a few others. One guy who passed me just had a nice run stride I observed. Tried to keep him in sight as well as the other guy I was pacing with on the bike. As we started up the first rolling hill, folks are already cramping and having a hard time with things and I pass by. As we go down this one, my legs wake up and I start using gravity down hill. A guy offers encouragement to get the others ahead as I pass and I did thank him but it was a bit early to push. After mile 1 is another hill to a turn around point. I'm keeping my place here and I seem to be picking up the pace a bit. Turn around and I still see the guys I'm pacing against. Down and up hills again. Pass a few more folks. Now, near mile 2, we go into the wood and do this out and back along a trail. This is pretty rocky for a run course and I can see a folks taking it easy. Since I trail run, it doesn't bother me quite as much and I'm able to pick off a few folks here. I pick off the guy with the nice stride here too. Out of the woods and I can't really see the guy I was trying to keep in sight, so I just concentrate now on the last mile. I should've pushed here a bit more I think because I was closer to the finish than I knew. Going up a small hill I pass another guy, but I'm also passed by this gal who was coming out of the woods, an International distance person. Last downhill to the finish and pick up speed. The one guy who was ahead of me on the run and encouraging me on the bike is there and tells me the finish is around the corner. That's all I needed to know! Put out a burst of speed and sprint to the finish, actually passing the gal who passed me a few seconds ago. Done! I compose myself, get some water, and then congratulate the one guy I passed on that last little hill. He said congrats too and then asked how old I was. When I told him, he kinda drooped slightly and said, "ooh, you finished second...". Oh Wow! Yeah, looking at results, I came in 15 seconds ahead of this guy. Wouldn't have made much difference in the end as AG awards were all the same.

I actually felt pretty good on the run once my legs got going. Obviously with more brick training I probably could've done better.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly just walked things off and then went to cheer club members Nancy and Linda. There weren't actually too many activities post race. I probably should've gone into the lake to cool off eventually.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hadn't run in a few weeks, so no brick training to draw upon.

Event comments:

So, shaved more than 2 minutes off of my time from 3 years ago, mostly due to a better swim, but looks like I might've improved overall in all three. Transitions might've been a bit slower as it was at a different location than 3 years ago. There weren't really any activities post race though I did win a "door" prize - a bottle of chocolate Hammer gel. Might be able to make use of that. But, unlike 2007, there wasn't much post race food for the racers (bananas, bagels, Heed, water, might've been something else). There was a band 3 years ago which was great! At least there was chip timing this year, though T2 in with the run was unexpected. Overall, this is a nice beginnner tri and close by, not too expensive. Nice lake OWS portion too. I may try the International distance in another year. Problem is that this tri is close to Eagleman which is why I haven't done it in a while (not doing Eagleman this year). Oh, nice T-shirt BTW this time. I think last it was a pukey green and I don't have that one anymore. And I got a functional AG award - a coffee mug! So, came home with some hardware that I can use. Well, like I said, nice beginner race and you should consider it if you're looking for one with relatively short distances. Oh, I did get my bike shoe back. The super volunteers retrieved it for me after the near mishap and stored it for me later.

Last updated: 2010-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:06 | 400 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 58/207
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Team
Course: tread water at start, go out to a buoy, right turn back into shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:36 | 08 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Overall: 40/207
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Go out of the parking lot and hang a left at the first road. Then out to a turnaround point and back nearly the same way we came out. Only difference was once back in the park, had to go around the outside of a parking lot. Then at dismount, had to pick the bike up over the curb before going into transition.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:53 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 32/207
Performance: Good
Course: A rolling course that is mostly road but had a trail run out and back in there as well. The trail part was rather rocky.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes