Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 59m 26s
Overall Rank = 960/1591
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 97/135
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to the race site on Friday. Got my packet picked up and bike checked in on Saturday. Supper of pasta the night before, to bed early, and slept pretty good. Got up around 04:00, ate a Powerbar and muffin for breakfast. Got my stuff all packed and walked with Shawn, Justin, and Jeff down to T-2 and dropped my run stuff. Down to T-1 and got my bike ready.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little while watching the earlier waves take off. Just tried to stay calm. Got my wetsuit on and swam from the dock to the start line when my wave was called.
Swim
  • 41m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably my best swim ever. Not bad considering this was the first time I had my wetsuit on this year, (stupid I know). Caught my grove about 200 in. Had a little trouble siting the second turn buoy. Stayed pretty comfortable the whole way. Pushed a little harder towards the end. Hit the ramp and took off for T-1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

Pretty smooth T-1

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 04m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode smart on the bike. Didn't push overly hard and used the easier gears going up some of the bigger hills. Had a mandatory dismount at mile 31 due to an oil spill in the road. Ride was pretty uneventful. Hydration and nutrition was right on. Drank 1 bottle of Hammer HEED, 1 bottle of Gatorade and 1 1/2 bottles of water. Ate a Powerbar gummy every 1/2 hour. Bike performed very well had no trouble with shifting or braking.

Maybe push just a little harder overall.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Couldn't get my bike on the rack because of some overcrowding, ended up leaning it against the rack. Sat down to put my shoes on. Downed the last bit of my Gatorade while running out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 07m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was hot. Sun was out and the temp. was getting up there. I ran between the aid stations and walked the stations. Took a couple cups of gatorade and water at each station. Racing a little more controlled on the swim and bike definately helped my run. 5 miles in my quads started to cramp. Stopped to try and stretch them but as I stretched my quads my hamstrings started tightening up so I just kept going. Pretty much a mental battle the rest of the race. I was constantly checking my watch, I was determined to come in under 6 hours this year. Was great to see my family and friends cheering when I went by our campsite. Didn't take anything from the last 2 aid stations. When I saw 5:58:00 on my watch I took off at a sprint for the finish. Ended up coming in with 34 seconds to spare. Great finish line celebration.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and gatorade. Hit the ice bath for awhile which was great.

Event comments:

Had a blast at this race. Was glad that I could hit my goal time, dropped about 22 minutes off last year's time. Even happier to be blessed with the opportunity to race and spend time with family and friends. Shawn, Andy, and Justin all had good races. Enjoyed the weekend with my family. Met some new people and Brian caught the bug to race again, great weekend.

Last updated: 2010-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 98/135
Overall: 1126/1591
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Full Suit
Course: Counter-clockwise loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:04:03 | 56 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 101/135
Overall: 1135/1591
Wind: Some
Course: Paved county roads. Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:07:04 | 13.1 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 97/135
Overall: 1057/1591
Performance: Average
Course: 2-loop course around the campground.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-10 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2010-06-10 1:31 AM
in reply to: #2912548

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
Aww, thanks for the mini shout out at the end! Great job - I would say that was EASILY your best swim in a race! Was there quite a run to the timing mat after coming out of the water? Because I swear your swim time was like 37 or 38 minutes.... Anyway, excellent job and you made it in under 6- that's awesome! You, Justin, and Shawn have set the standard for the rest of us fat guys.
2010-06-10 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Good job!!!  Way to control your race during your swim and your bike.  Sorry you tightened up on the run, but Congrats on going sub 6.
2010-06-10 11:30 AM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Nice fast race. You set the bar pretty high at sub 6:00. Looking forward to going head to head again sometime.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed