General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to insert feet into shoes whilst moving Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-10 2:31 PM

Veteran
Subject: How to insert feet into shoes whilst moving

I need some advice on being able to set off on the bike with the shoes already clipped in, and then being able to put my feet in whilst moving.

How do you keep the shoes flat so that you can just put your feet on top. When I try it the shoes hang upside down and hit the floor.

Thanks.

2010-06-10 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2913966

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: How to insert feet into shoes whilst moving
Do a flying mount on the bike and simply put your feet on top of your shoes - pedal away from the T1 mess and get up to speed.  The next steps are actually easier to do when you are going faster instead of slower... Reach down, grab the heel loop, and slide your foot back and then into the shoe.  Let go of heel loop and secure velcro strap. Repeat on other side.

Practice, practice, practice. Do NOT attempt this for the first time during a race!

All of this assumes you have triathlon-specific bike shoes (heel loop, and a single velcro strap over-the-foot).  I myself would not recommend this technique with shoes lacking those features - you'll find out why if you desire to test that for yourself...

Cheers, Chris

EDIT: I don't do the rubber band trick to keep my cranks/shoes level - I personally think it's silly, but others swear by it.  Your shoes shouldn't hang upside down - vertical with the heel down, yes, but not upside down.  To get my foot on top of the shoe, I just catch the toe area to push the shoe level and then lay the weight of my foot over it.  Wiggle it over the pedal from there...

Edited by Hydro 2010-06-10 2:45 PM
2010-06-10 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2010-06-10 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2914005

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Hydro - 2010-06-10 12:42 PM Do a flying mount on the bike and simply put your feet on top of your shoes - pedal away from the T1 mess and get up to speed.  The next steps are actually easier to do when you are going faster instead of slower... Reach down, grab the heel loop, and slide your foot back and then into the shoe.  Let go of heel loop and secure velcro strap. Repeat on other side.

You left out the step (possibly repeated) where I pick myself and my bike up after falling down while I'm trying to do all this...

2010-06-10 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
The most important thing to remember when you reach down is not to lose contact with the shoe...Make sure you grab the heel of the shoe before you try and put your foot in. If you lose the shoe, you have to start all over and it costs time.

Reach done and make sure you have the shoe firmly, and then slide your feet in....you can master this in just a few tries.
2010-06-10 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Step 1, DON'T do the flying mount. Just get on your bike normally and put your feet on top of the shoes and pedal off. Once away, the shoes will drop heel down when you remove your foot. The trick is to make sure the velcro strap and tongue are as wide open as possible. Then you can slip your toes in and push the rest of the way without having to reach down. Repeat the other side after a few more pedal strokes. Then, with both feet in, tighten down the straps. It takes PRACTICE to become efficient at it.

2010-06-10 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2914279

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
bryancd - 2010-06-10 4:04 PM Step 1, DON'T do the flying mount. Just get on your bike normally and put your feet on top of the shoes and pedal off. Once away, the shoes will drop heel down when you remove your foot. The trick is to make sure the velcro strap and tongue are as wide open as possible. Then you can slip your toes in and push the rest of the way without having to reach down. Repeat the other side after a few more pedal strokes. Then, with both feet in, tighten down the straps. It takes PRACTICE to become efficient at it.

Yeah - good call, Bryan - I shouldn't have said "flying mount" - there's no need for that here.  Thanks for the catch.

Also, despite my best efforts, my velcro strap never stays "open" - I always manage to step on it and close it when I do these mounts.  However, I've never had any problems "breaking through" that velcro when I slide my foot in - it just may require a quick hard jam with the foot & corresponding tug up on the heel strap.  No big deal when you get used to doing it...

Cheers, Chris
2010-06-10 6:53 PM

User image

Roswell
I put a rubber band through the back loop on the bike shoe to a convenient place on the bike to keep the shoes top side up. I put the left crank to the rear and hook the rubber band over the quick release. The right crank is forward and the rubber band goes over the front deraileur. Use thin rubber bands like the ones that come around the morning paper.

Do a flying mount if you are racing for money, otherwise just get on the bike normally with your feet on top of the shoes, get up to speed, then put your feet in.
2010-06-10 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2914293

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Hydro - 2010-06-10 3:10 PM
Also, despite my best efforts, my velcro strap never stays "open" - I always manage to step on it and close it when I do these mounts.  However, I've never had any problems "breaking through" that velcro when I slide my foot in - it just may require a quick hard jam with the foot & corresponding tug up on the heel strap.  No big deal when you get used to doing it...

Cheers, Chris

The trick there is to open that shoe up as WIDE as possible. My strap is all the way to the end or open side, if that makes sense, so even when I step on it while pedaling, it get crunched down but when I take my foot off to initiate entry (stop laughing, dirty mind) there's plenty of room. It' salso a bit shoe dependent I think. I use LG tri carbons. You can see the strap and how open it is here with me coming out of T1 and another from this past weekend of me coming into T2 with my feet on top.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2010-06-10 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2914293

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hydro - 2010-06-10 5:10 PM

Cheers, Chris

You don't want it 'open' in the sense of 'flying loose'.  Then, yeah, you'll step on it and who know what will happen?  Open the strap, then attach the velcro at the far edge to hold it open.  For example, on your right shoe, pull the strap open, then attach the end of the strap to the farthest right part of the shoe that you can.  I can't quite tell from the pic, but I assume that's how Bryan has his strap held open in the 'coming out of T1' pic he posted.  That's how I do it, and I've never had a problem.

If that isn't clear, say so and I'll post a pic of my shoe fixed in that way.
2010-06-10 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2914568

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Bryan & Michael,

Thanks for adding those the tips to the discussion - good stuff.  My velcro issue is not one that bothers me anymore; I just mentioned it since other folks may come across it. Your ideas are excellent points though - thanks.

FWIW, I use Speshie TriVents, and they have a notch in the velcro that is supposed to help accomadate these types of entries by sort of holding the velcro more open, but I find that the notch isn't far enough "out" so my velcro ends up wanting to close more than it wants to stay open.  Again, no big deal for me - it's just something I've totally gotten used to dealing with, so it's a non-issue for me now.  However, I think I will try forcing them past that notch at my race this weekend, and give that a whirl. 

I'm supposed to do new stuff on race day, right??

Cheers!
Chris

2010-06-10 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2914525

User image

bryancd - 2010-06-10 3:03 PM
Hydro - 2010-06-10 3:10 PM Also, despite my best efforts, my velcro strap never stays "open" - I always manage to step on it and close it when I do these mounts.  However, I've never had any problems "breaking through" that velcro when I slide my foot in - it just may require a quick hard jam with the foot & corresponding tug up on the heel strap.  No big deal when you get used to doing it...

Cheers, Chris
The trick there is to open that shoe up as WIDE as possible. My strap is all the way to the end or open side, if that makes sense, so even when I step on it while pedaling, it get crunched down but when I take my foot off to initiate entry (stop laughing, dirty mind) there's plenty of room. It' salso a bit shoe dependent I think. I use LG tri carbons. You can see the strap and how open it is here with me coming out of T1 and another from this past weekend of me coming into T2 with my feet on top. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

LOL...I think this picture has NOTHING to do with showing how your shoes should be...and has everything to do with Bryan letting people know that he comes into T2 as people are going out of T1.  =)

ETA: Now that I think about it...I'm not even sure if that's possible.  He must be from a sprint that started later in the morning...but still...looks impressive.

Edited by tri808 2010-06-10 8:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to insert feet into shoes whilst moving Rss Feed