General Discussion Race Reports! » Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
Mighty Montauk
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m
Overall Rank = 275/595
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 28/59
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race at about 6 am, just as the transition area opened. I was way early, actually in Montauk by 5:30. I drove to the Lighthouse, just to check it out. I got a prime location, got body marked and took my time setting up.

There really is nothing like the hour before a race. You could feel the excitement; specially in a race like this, where there are quite a few first-timers. I used to love the hour before games in college... really loved and cherish those memories, but it's so different, because you're all alone and focused entirely on yourself, not opponents or teammates or coaches or gameplans. Just you and the course. It's so cool.
Swim
  • 32m 42s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I am really happy with today's swim. I went a little off course at one point, but I think that was to be expected because it's been since the HIM in October that I have done an OWS. I rounded the buoy perfectly and really picked up a lot of speed on the way back in. I had plenty in the tank and I'm real satisfied with my swimming fitness right now.

During the first 500 or so, I had some difficulty catching my breath. That has never happened to me before. I think I may have gone out a little fast, but I was able to get it under control and really settled in for a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Great T1. The most awesome part was during the run from the swim to the transition area, I ran by a bunch of my old students. They were yelling, "go Mr. Hall!!!" Great kids. I will miss them.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 49s
  • 22 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out hard on the bike again this year, but I knew that my cardio fitness is much better this year than in previous years. I was expecting to do better, based on previous performances here, but I fell short there. It is what it is. I knew that training for an early Spring Marathon (LI 5/2) would mean that I wouldn't be able to spend a lot of time on the bike training... I was slower than I have been in the past on this course, but I am still very happy with how I did, especially since I know the cause.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I am going to make a real effort to learn how to put my shoes on/take them off while on the bike.

Ultimately, I think that this was probably the best, all around, T2 I have had since I started getting into triathlons.
Run
  • 1h 00m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I am thrilled with today's run. I don't think I have ever done this course w/o walking at least a little on some of the hills... until today. I felt great, great, great for the first three miles all of which were under 9:30 with the 1st being 8:46.

I put everything I had into this run and it payed off with a very rewarding race regardless of what the official time (which hasn't been posted yet) says. My form was good, I felt strong and energetic. This run capped off an all-around really good (I hesitate to say "great") race for me.

STILL, NOT ENOUGH AID STATIONS!!! I am happy I made the decision to wear my fuel belt with two bottles of Gatorade. I needed it.
Post race
Warm down:

Waked and talked. Packed up all of my stuff and headed out.

Event comments:

Really happy with today's effort. It wasn't a course PR, but it was a personal best nonetheless because I can honestly say that this is the first time that I raced a complete race.

Last updated: 2010-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:42 | 1760 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/59
Overall: 151/595
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Full
Course: Out and back. I really wish they would decide on a distance for this course. I am convinced, and so were many I talked to, that it was long this year as opposed to previous years.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:49 | 22 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Overall: 220/595
Wind: Some
Course: Basically a bunch of out and backs with two moderately tough climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:03 | 06.21 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 277/595
A bunch of out and backs coming off of a main loop.
Course: This course is tough, I say it all the time, and today was no different.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-12 2:12 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

2010-06-12 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2917531

User image

Subject: RE: Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

Go Mr Hall!!

Great Race, Mike.  You've been focusing on your running, so you knew your bike may be a little off.  You had a solid swim - and the standings showed that.  I'm really glad you had a strong, consistent run from start to finish as the Run Course is definitely the most challenging part of this Race. 

Bottom line is you executed perfectly all-around given your current levels of fitness in all three disciplines.  Now that's what I call a very Good Race.   I'll practice flying dismounts with you if you'd like. 

Can't wait to do the Plymouth Rock Iron Distance Race with you next year!!  Rock on Mr.Hall ....Rock on. . .

2010-06-12 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2917547

Expert
thanks bro
2010-06-12 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2917568

Holtsville, Long Island
Great race Mike-I was there too and loved every second of that race.  I have to say that race always hits a spot deep down inside me.  Just like last year, driving the last part of Rte 27, just before Montauk at that early hour is almost religious.  Wrote this last year in my training diary and it felt the same this morning:  

5:45 a.m. Saturday morning on my way to the Mighty Montauk Tri:

As I drove east on the gentle shoulders of Route 27, just outside the quaint beach town of Amagansette, I listened to the Grateful Dead-- salty air screamed through my hair(or what is left of it) from the open widows of my car, and with the sun and the mighty Atlantic dead ahead, I wondered a loud,--"Besides the deep blue innocence of my children's young eyes, what could be more wonderful?!?" Isn't it funny where this sport takes us sometimes? 

Anyway, I had a fairly good race, I was hoping to go 2:13 and ended up at 2:16.

Edited by Sevenride 2010-06-12 3:19 PM
2010-06-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2917596

Expert
Sevenride - 2010-06-12 4:16 PM Great race Mike-I was there too and loved every second of that race.  I have to say that race always hits a spot deep down inside me.  Just like last year, driving the last part of Rte 27, just before Montauk at that early hour is almost religious.  Wrote this last year in my training diary and it felt the same this morning:  

5:45 a.m. Saturday morning on my way to the Mighty Montauk Tri:

As I drove east on the gentle shoulders of Route 27, just outside the quaint beach town of Amagansette, I listened to the Grateful Dead-- salty air screamed through my hair(or what is left of it) from the open widows of my car, and with the sun and the mighty Atlantic dead ahead, I wondered a loud,--"Besides the deep blue innocence of my children's young eyes, what could be more wonderful?!?" Isn't it funny where this sport takes us sometimes? 

Anyway, I had a fairly good race, I was hoping to go 2:13 and ended up at 2:16.

You are 100% right.  Love that writing (and the Dead).  Great job today.  2:13 is an awesome time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed