Setup Events
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 40s
Overall Rank = 261/582
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Deep tissue massage on Thursday prior to race. Did do a 22 mile bike ride and run that same day (Brick). Wasn't sure that was a good idea at the time, but it seemed to work our for me on race day.

The night before I had an arugula salad, dried tomatoes, feta cheese, red onions, with olive oil. I also had a sweet potato.

Breakfast was simply 3 Hammer Gels.

Got the bike ready the night before and also setup my aero water bottle. The one with the sponge inside and long straw. Brought along NUUN tablets.
Event warmup:

Stretched for 10 minutes once I showered. Did my standard wall stretches and foam roller routine.

Did a little running once I had my bike setup, but did NOT swim before hand. Looking back, it's something I should have done.
Swim
  • 18m 13s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very enjoyable swim, warm lake, no siting issues and I swam very close to the buoys the entire way.
What would you do differently?:

Take on the swim more aggressively next time. I knew I could swim it, but didn't tackle it the way I did the bike and run
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

My Velcro tab slipped out, but really didn't cost me too much time. Maybe two seconds. Had my towel setup with my powder strategically placed. Wiped feet on towel to dry and stomped in the powder. Worked great.

Make sure bike straps are in better position. Very happy with this T1, but would still like to improve it.
Bike
  • 48m 58s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I'd have to say I took this on as aggressively as I know how. Was a little concerned about taking it on too hard and not being able to run, but I just went full out. There was one portion where a gentleman, in my age group, passed me and I was able to catch him, but then we hit traffic (which was a little unusual for this race) There was a large SUV blocking us and we had traffic coming in the other direction. He decided to pass the SUV on the left with the oncoming traffic. So, not to be out done, I kept up and passed on the SUV as well. Really made things interesting. Seems I could catch him the down hills, but flat out he was better. Lot's of fun.

Need to train smarter on the bike, really don't put the proper training mileage into this event.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

This T2 went as well as I could have expected for me. I knew where the exit was and getting me running shoes on (while standing!!!) went well.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt a little "fat" on the first mile, but after that I was good to go and kept a very good pace (for me that is).

ANY time I can break a nine minute mile on these events, I'm happy.

The NUUN seemed to help on both the bike and run. I hit two of the water stations on the run, but didn't really drink much. Just enough to keep my mouth wet.
Post race
Warm down:

Did light stretching on hamstrings and calves.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Setup Events does a great job and I have complete confidence in any event they do. VERY happy with their efforts!

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:13 | 820 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 351/582
Performance: Average
Suit: No suit
Course: Looking back on this, I never really "kicked it in". I just swam the course and never really gave it much thought to go faster. I was just out there having "fun" with it and should have taken this part of the event a little more seriously. • This stage ranked 3rd in terms of stage strength (5th if you also include the two transition stages). • You were in the water for 18.3% of the race. • At the completion of the swim, you were 258th out of 406 men. (Top 63.5%) • You were 5th out of 14 men in your age group of 55-59. (Top 35.7%)
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:58 | 17 miles | 20.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 167/582
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Moderately hilly describes it best. Most of the roads were in very good shape, one leg of it was recently repaved.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:41 | 03.11 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 274/582
Performance:
Course: Hilly and not flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %.9
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-13 7:18 AM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Subject: Tri Latta Triathlon

2010-06-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2918218

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Tri Latta Triathlon
Great race. You did especially well on the bike. That is always the toughest part for me.

John
2010-06-14 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2918218

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tri Latta Triathlon

Good job; way to hammer the bike!

Glad to see your more comfortable with transitions.

Way to GO!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta Triathlon Rss Feed