Canada
17C / 63F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 31s
Overall Rank = 70/260
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up early. 3 stops at Tim Horton's on the way.
Event warmup:

This is a Quebec Cup event which attracts a lot of the fast people. So the fun part is looking at the fancy bikes before the race, which I did

The bike portion is on a race track with a nice climb towards the end, so I wanted to check out my gearing. It had rained and the track was very slick. Came down a hill way to fast, went into a curve and lost the bike. I skidded for about 30 feet, cut right through my tri suit and took about an 6 inch diameter circle of skin off my hip and forearm. So I ended up in the medic tent, this time before the race, which is an improvement. I usually end up there during or after the race, so I am getting better
Swim
  • 11m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Mass start, which I am not sure what the reason is, they could very easily start us in waves. Anyways. I am not a bad swimmer so don't like starting behind the pack and everyone wants to be in the front row. So I saw these 3 16 year old future elites who I know are amazing swimmers. So I just parked myself behind them. They opened up some water so within 30 seconds I had very little traffic.

Drafting them would have been like drafting a speed boat. Impossible.

My sighting was very poor and my going around the bouy awful as I got caught in a pile up so I breast stroked them. Oh well. I stayed relaxed, my plan was to not push too hard on the swim.

What would you do differently?:

Better sighting. Maybe try a sleeveless wetsuit, I am very uncomfortable in the one I have. Shoulders are too tight.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Much better than last year. I did got the wetsuit off pretty efficiently Pulled the suit down as far as possible, step on wetsuit and pull out leg.

Not much. Maybe a little more hustle
Bike
  • 36m 35s
  • 20.89 kms
  • 34.26 km/hr
Comments:

The course had dried by the time we raced, but everytime I went into that curve (5 times) I backed off. I am sure I wasted some good time, but that fall in warm up and a bleeding hip and arm were a good reminder to be careful.

I wasn't sure if I should push more, so I was a bit conservative. I probably could have squeeked a bit more on the bike and still be fine for the run. First sprint of the year so I know what to do next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Good transition, not much I could have done
Run
  • 19m 39s
  • 4.5 kms
  • 04m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I started the run and just was not in it. It starts with a hill climb. I chose not to look at my watch, just try to get into a rythm. The watch went off at 1km, I looked, 4:35...not good...get you butt in gear. Second km was 4:15...then I drifted back to 4:2x....Last 1/2 km was downhill and I pushed and did the last 1/2 at a 3:45 pace, so there was gas left in the tank.

I should have pushed harder on the 3rd and 4th km. I slacked off. I wanted a 4:15 or better pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Jump in car and drive very fast back to town to see the formula 1 race :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't push hard enough. I tried to pace myself and I paced myself into a good, but not stellar performance

I am happy, I shaved 5 minutes off the bike and 1 minute off the run from last year.

Event comments:

Being a Quebec cup event there were some big guns there.

Overall 70 of 260, which is fine. I was even across disciplines, 79 on the swim, 81 on the bike, 71 on the run.

Last updated: 2010-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:57 | 750 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/260
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca sonar
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:35 | 20.89 kms | 34.26 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Care racing track with some nice small hills, one pretty hard. It's longer than the standard 20km since it 5 times a 4.2km track, take a bit off the way we enter/exit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:39 | 04.5 kms | 04m 22s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: The course is a bit short. My time last year was too fast and I knew it couldn't be a full 5km. This year I had the garmin and sure enough it's short. But it makes up for the long bike
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes