Canada
28C / 82F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 23s
Overall Rank = 102/224
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/29
Pre-race routine:

Not much, usual routine. I woke up early, had a coffee with some toast a banana and a yogurt. Then I got ready, pack everything in the car and headed to the lake.
Event warmup:

Rode 5km or so with Steve, then we went for a 2-3km run and after I had my wetsuit on I jumped in the water for a 100 meters swim.
Swim
  • 20m 34s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

The plan was to do everything possible to beat last year's time. I placed myself in a way that I would be into the traffic at the beginning, and it worked ;)

Sighting went pretty well, I have the feeling that I swam pretty straight versus last year. Since there was a lot of waves I swam with people from the start to the end. Trying to find a pair of feet to hold to, but no luck with that. I basically had to swim the entire km alone, oh well life is not always easy ;)

I got out of the water, and hit my watch when I hit the beach. Not a bad time, but not as fast as I expected. I thought that maybe today I would finally swim my km under 20, but no way. I still have to work on my swimming to reach that goal.
What would you do differently?:

Train more, I need to swim more than that if I want to ever get faster
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I had some problems with my suit, it got stuck on my heels. Didn't lose much time on that though. I then grabbed the bike, ran to the exit and jumped on it. New bike and not a lot of practice this year made it a tough one. I lost times trying to get my feet on the pedals/shoes and then getting up to speed.

Work on my flying mount again, I was getting pretty good at it last season.
Bike
  • 42m 36s
  • 23 kms
  • 32.39 km/hr
Comments:

I had no idea how my biking would go today, and I had my new bike on which I rode a total of 35km before this race. I was a little anxious, not too sure how it would go. I was pretty sure that the bike wouldn't be where I would gain time this year, but I almost finish with a split 3 minutes faster than last year.

I gave everything that I had on the bike, I couldn't see my speed since I didn't put my watch in the quick release (I was scared to lose it during the swim) So I just push hard, and harder.

It worked fine, bike felt really good. My legs were not at 100% though, I guess that 2 days is not enough I could still feel that they were tired.

I got a peak of 65km/h which was not too bad :) The bike handled really good in the wind, and in the turn also.

Train more on hills, especially since I will have to suffer for my half Ironman in September on the hills of the NY state ;)
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

This transition went almost flawlessly, I jumped off the bike and passed like 10 person while entering the transition zone. When I got to my transition spot there was a bike in my spot, which made me lose a couple of seconds but not much. Put my shoes on, grabbed my race belt and there I went for the race.

Not much
Run
  • 37m 17s
  • 7.7 kms
  • 04m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Going into the run my plan was to get a faster run split since my running has been really good so far this year. WRONG!!

Dammit when I got out of transition my legs were sooooo dead, I couldn't get any speed. I tried to convince myself that it was only 8km, that it wouldn't be too long. I honestly wanted to stop and walk a couple of times but I just kicked myself in the butt and kept running.

Eventually I saw the first km sign, then the second and the third. At that point I was going up a hill and I was suffering. I tried to keep a good pace, 4th km was better, going down a hill helps ;) Then the last 4 were just survival, trying to stay with a not too bad pace to finish with a good time. I finally finished the run a little bit more than a minute faster than last year. I will take this with the legs that I had ;)

Train more after a hard bike session, more brick on the menu I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood there trying not to puke :p Then headed to the food and grabed some stuff to eat

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Brick training and swim.

Event comments:

I like this race, it is close by. We train there with the tri club most of the time so I know the course. But it was still a tough triathlon, one of the tough one around here to be honest.

I can't say why, but there was less volunteers this year sadly. Aid station were almost always out of water when we were getting by. Other then that not much to say about the event.

5 minutes PR from last year, I will take this :) If I can get 5 minutes a year, I will win this thing in ... hmmm 5 years :P

Here is a pic of the elevation of the run course to give you an idea.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:34 | 1000 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 145/224
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:36 | 23 kms | 32.39 km/hr
Age Group: 12/29
Overall: 71/224
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loop around the lake, hilly and a hell of a view :)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:17 | 07.7 kms | 04m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 14/29
Overall: 107/224
Course: One loop around the lake, the other way around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-19 1:07 PM

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: Triathlon du Lac Beauport

2010-06-19 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2931735

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Triathlon du Lac Beauport
Great job, Robert!  Super fast!
2010-06-19 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal

Good job Robert!

Y sont chien de mettre la plus grosse montée juste avant de débarquer du bike!!

2010-06-19 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Sounds like a tough race but you toughed it out - awesome job, and being the first tri race of the season... you've got your kinks sorted out and you'll for sure kill on all upcoming races!! 

Congrats!!!!  
2010-06-20 7:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Nice job!  It's always nice to see improvement!
2010-06-20 10:26 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Great job Robert!  Nice race, impressive biking with a new bike - and T2 -what was that a bolt of lightining going through transition...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon du Lac Beauport Rss Feed