Penn Trafford Area Recreation Commission
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m
Overall Rank = 13/48
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

40 minute drive. First tri for me in 6 years, and my 7 YO daughter did her first ever tri. Basically just got there and got ready to go, not a lot of extra time.
Event warmup:

Pool swim so no warmup.
Swim
  • 03m 5s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I only swam once since March and that was last weekend, but I was a pretty decent middle distance freestyler in HS. I felt good though and my lane was right by the door. About as good as I could have hoped for.
What would you do differently?:

Find some time and a pool to train more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 had been a slow point for me in the past, so I had a new plan. I swam in the UA compression shirt which did not blouse and I basically just threw on glasses, helmet and shoes (no socks) and went. I transitioned right next to an "old timer" who was 3 seconds behind me out of the pool and we left side by side, so I was pretty happy with that.

Nothing
Bike
  • 26m 22s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 14.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't have a tri bike, just a roadie, and I am not a cyclist to speak, but I did OK here. There were more mountain bikes than anything, and I was one of the better equipped riders there. I got passed by two guys in the first half mile and that was it. I passed about 10 mountain bikers. I tried to spin it up some at the end but the final 400 yards was uphill granny gear for me and when I got off I had jelly legs. T1 and T2 were included in the bike split, probably close to 3 minutes for me.

Take water. I decided to go sans the water since it was early and cool and the bike was so short. Wished I would have had some. I am also about 20# lighter than the last time I was doing tris and my biking is definitely faster - good stuff.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No bike racks so I just laid it down and almost fell over. Helmet and shoes off, socks and shoes on. Note to self - find my yankz i won last year! T1 and T2 times were included in the bike split so not bad.
Run
  • 19m 34s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I have only been training for about 5 weeks, and bricks have not been something I have worked in yet. I had not had a lot of trouble in the past with the bike-run switch, but I did today. My legs were really tight for the first mile and the second mile was much better than the first. Unfortunately, I am still ridiculously slow, and the run was my downfall, as expected.

I blew out my ACL in 1992 and my knee has never been right since. It is always swelled and it keeps me from running as much as I would like. Right now I am at 6'5", 246#, and this is the lightest I have been since 1993. I am hoping to lose 20 more pounds this summer, and that has made my knee a lot more cooperative for running.
Post race
Warm down:

Well I crossed the line just as my 7 year old was getting to her bike right next to the line so I just screamed like an idiot parent for her to GO GO GO!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very little training to date.

Event comments:

This is a true mini sprint and is a community race. There were a lot of local/first time triathletes it appeared. Millions of volunteers. All cycling roads were closed with police/fire at all intersections. Great first race (or first race back!).

One last thing. There were no overall winners, just age group. First and second in my age group were 1-2 overall. Sigh!

Last updated: 2010-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:05 | 200 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 2/48
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts and UA short sleeve compression
Course: 8 lengths. One swimmer per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:26:22 | 06.5 miles | 14.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 0/48
Wind: None
Course: 2 mile uphill to start - 2 mile downhill at the end
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:34 | 02 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 0/48
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 1 mile loops, ever so slightly rolling.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes