General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-road Shoes - Trail Running vs Cross Training Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-22 8:58 AM

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
Subject: Off-road Shoes - Trail Running vs Cross Training Shoes
Looking for a pair of shoes (dont want hiking boots) for my Grand Canyon 26 mile walk/jog in October.  Was at REI and noticed that they have trail running shoes and cross training shoes.  The cross training shoes seemed to be heavier and have a thicker sole.

Any advice/recommendations for choosing between these two categories of shoes?  I'm not going to be running much off road, but I also dont want to be slowed down by a heavy shoe.

2010-06-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2936190

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: Off-road Shoes - Trail Running vs Cross Training Shoes
The weight difference between the two should me negligible. The trail shoe will give you more traction and stability on rough ground. I would take those over a pair of cross trainers 9 times out of 10.

You could also look at approach or light hiking shoes as an alternative. Try www.sierratradingpost.com. They usually have good prices, I've ordered from them several times.
2010-06-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2936190

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Off-road Shoes - Trail Running vs Cross Training Shoes
I have a pair of New Balance trail running shoes but use nothing but Merrell's or Teva sandles for my hiking. may check out the Merrell chameleon or moab. I have the moab's, never let me down, ever!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-road Shoes - Trail Running vs Cross Training Shoes Rss Feed