General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injured: How Do I Reduce Fitness Loss And Not Turn Into A Complete Blob Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-25 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Injured: How Do I Reduce Fitness Loss And Not Turn Into A Complete Blob

Warning! Long post...

About three weeks ago I developed what I thought was a shin splint in my right leg. I stopped running and just focused on swimming and biking in an attempt to allow it to heal, however the problem hasn't gone away. Apparently what I have is a stress fracture, and it looks like I'm going to have to take a break for four weeks (minimum) from any training that utilizes my leg.

Mentally, I'm having a very difficult time accepting this. I'm going to miss at least two races, and possibly have to bag the rest of the season. My brain keeps telling me "suck it up, you can do it!" but my body tells me otherwise.

I'm unable to swim, as the kicking motion aggrevates the problem. I tried swimming a few laps without using my right leg but quickly figured out that I would train myself into a really screwed up form that I would have to unlearn.

I've been continuing to bike train but it is also preventing the injury from healing. I can ride about two casual miles before the pain starts. Yesterday I forced myself to ride 16 miles, and was so sore that the pain woke me up in the middle of the night. So I must park my bike during this time as well.

My body type is that I gain weight quite easily, so I'm concerned if I don't remain active that I'll turn into Jabba The Hut. I've also accepted the fact that I'll probably need to reduce my calorie intake during this time to match my reduced fitness level. I'm not looking forward to that either, as I tend to eat when I'm stressed and believe me, this injury is stressing me out!

My question is: I'm looking for ideas as to what I can do to maintain fitness, particularly cardio fitness, that doesn't involve using my leg. I'm planning to switch over and intensify my upper body weight training during this time, which isn't particularly useful for triathlons but better than nothing.

Does anyone else have ideas about what I can do to at least reduce my fitness loss during this time? Thanks!

2010-06-25 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2943231

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Injured: How Do I Reduce Fitness Loss And Not Turn Into A Complete Blob
1. Eat less. No matter what your body type, if you eat only what you need to burn, you won't gain.

2. Can you pool run? If so, do that. If not...

3. swim with a pool buoy.

4. And yeah, I know it sucks... but in the long run, it's not the worst injury to have. Bones heal. And it's only a few weeks. And know that if you do this long enough, chances are you will have a longer injury or layoff. Find something to occupy your time--read, catch up on Netflix, learn woodworking, whatever. Just relax.

A stress fracture will take 6-8 weeks to heal, but usually the acute pain subsides enough after 2 weeks or so that you can resume riding or swimming or pool running.
2010-06-25 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Injured: How Do I Reduce Fitness Loss And Not Turn Into A Complete Blob
THAT BLOWS
But there is a sliver lining. Let me see if I can help because MAN I would die for help in your shoes.
OK you can still swim-use a pullbuoy/paddles/. your form wont fade, and you wont have to unlearn anything. If anything your going to get stronger. And do aquajogging, this way YOU CAN still run-of course in the deep end with a jogging belt.
As for riding your bike-get out the trainer and work drills, one legged, and work on the upstroke not the downstroke.
Caloric structuring will be beneficial, and sounds like needed in your case.
Also do weight training-stick to higher reps to keep the HR up.
Use an arm ergometer too, most gyms haveem and no one uses them. Lastly I wonder if a rower would help/hurt. The benefits are incredible.
Time for you to really crosstrain INSEASON
It can be done!
Good luck
2010-06-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2943261

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
mmrocker13 - 2010-06-25 9:34 AM 1. Eat less. No matter what your body type, if you eat only what you need to burn, you won't gain.

2. Can you pool run? If so, do that. If not...

4. And yeah, I know it sucks... but in the long run, it's not the worst injury to have. Bones heal. And it's only a few weeks. And know that if you do this long enough, chances are you will have a longer injury or layoff. Find something to occupy your time--read, catch up on Netflix, learn woodworking, whatever. Just relax.

A stress fracture will take 6-8 weeks to heal, but usually the acute pain subsides enough after 2 weeks or so that you can resume riding or swimming or pool running.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  x2 on all points.
2010-06-25 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
1.- Swimming.

2.- Weight Lifting

3.- Close your mouth LOL

You will be fine!
2010-06-25 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Punches of all types are very good cardio if you work it. (with weights
Abs,ABs,Abs 

2010-06-25 9:13 AM

User image

More than one person has done their entire marathon training by aqua-jogging, or pool running. Talk to your doc and make sure it's on the list of okay things to do but even on here there are a number of people who have done most to all of their run training in the pool prior to an IM.
2010-06-25 9:23 AM

New user

Ditto what is said above, though I'm thinking if swimming aggravates it, so will water running.

Swimming with a pull-bouy is good. Really good. And really hard work to do your whole workout that way. Do be careful with handpaddles so that you don't end up with a shoulder injury too!

I would talk to your MD/PT to see if there might be a way to wrap/tape your leg such that you can swim without it jiggling and hurting. Not sure if such a thing exists...

Good luck!

I'm in a similar boat right now, where running and swimming are painful. Don't be stupid like me and try to add in too much activity before you are back to being fixed.

ananas
2010-06-25 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks everyone for the good responses so far!

mmrocker13 - 2010-06-25 8:34 AM 1. Eat less. No matter what your body type, if you eat only what you need to burn, you won't gain.

Yes, you're right. I just don't like to admit it. LOL

mmrocker13 - 2010-06-25 8:34 AM 2. Can you pool run? If so, do that. If not...

Good thought. Pool running is out for now, but I'm going to look around the pool and see if there's a pull buoy sitting around. At least I could still swim and get some cardio.

mmrocker13 - 2010-06-25 8:34 AM Find something to occupy your time--read, catch up on Netflix, learn woodworking, whatever. Just relax.

LOL that you mention this, because woodworking is actually one of my hobbies (http://www.tundraman.com/Woodworking/Index.cfm). I don't have much time to do it lately due to family obligations. I can get up at 4:30 AM and go running while everyone else is sleeping, but I can't run the table saw in the basement during this time.

franktheguard - 2010-06-25 8:34 AM
As for riding your bike-get out the trainer and work drills, one legged, and work on the upstroke not the downstroke.

It's actually the upstroke that seems to aggrevate my leg more than the downstroke. This last week of biking I've left my clipless shoes at home in an attempt to reduce the pain.  I'm not sure that one legged drills with just my left leg would be beneficial or if it would mess up my technique?

franktheguard - 2010-06-25 8:34 Use an arm ergometer too, most gyms haveem and no one uses them. Lastly I wonder if a rower would help/hurt. The benefits are incredible.
Good luck

Two good ideas. Now that you mention it, my gym does have an arm ergometer and nobody ever uses it. I think I'll give that a try. I'll probably see if the rower will work as well. I could probably compensate on the pushes with my left leg to reduce the stress on my right leg.

Karibu - 2010-06-25 9:08 AM Punches of all types are very good cardio if you work it. (with weights)

Ohhhh! I never thought of this one. Great idea!

ananas - 2010-06-25 9:23 AM Ditto what is said above, though I'm thinking if swimming aggravates it, so will water running.

I tried a little of this and yes, it does hurt. However this might be an option after a few weeks of healing but before I'm ready to start actual running again.

ananas - 2010-06-25 9:23 AM Don't be stupid like me and try to add in too much activity before you are back to being fixed.

In some ways this is going to be the hardest thing of all! I've continued to bike and swim through pain the last couple of weeks just hoping that it would go away on its own. It was easier than accepting that I was injured and forcing myself to rest.

I guess that's another entry for the "you know you're a triathelete when" thread. You know you're a triathelete when you grit your teeth through a workout with a stress fractured leg, because the thought of a DNS makes you cry.
2010-06-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2943673

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'd be surprised if you found an official pull buoy, but you can use a foam dumbbell like they use for water aerobics classes.   If you have access to a swim shop, the bouy is only about $12 and a worthwhile investment.

Tundra_Man - 2010-06-25 10:57 AM Thanks everyone for the good responses so far!

mmrocker13 - 2010-06-25 8:34 AM 2. Can you pool run? If so, do that. If not...

Good thought. Pool running is out for now, but I'm going to look around the pool and see if there's a pull buoy sitting around. At least I could still swim and get some cardio.

2010-06-25 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Great advice given already...

I have not been able to run since May 17th. I had my knee scoped 6/1 and was stuck doing nothing for awhile.  You sound like me with the weight issue, I tend to gain weight as well when not active. When I'm training, I'm happy and can more easily maintain or lose weight than when not. Cutting out processed food and sugars helps me not be hungry. I've been not training normal amount for 6-7 weeks and gained about 4 pounds which isn't to bad for me...wish it were none.

Swim, swim and swim some more with pull buoy if the pool doesn't have one buy one they are cheap. I found doing ows is even better since there is no pushing off the wall.

I've been doing aqua running doing intervals. Started using a belt then dropped it yesterday which makes it more challenging or I do it in open water with my wetsuit after my swims. Once you get the okay to add aqua running do so and you can get that back sooner than running.

Find a good ortho and PT that are sports oriented that can guide you to what you can and can not do. Pushing through pain will most likely make your recovery take longer.

I'm on the other side of my injury....today I'm going to ride 2-3 hours and hope to start running on limited basis next week if I pass the PT jumping test. I appreciate more what I missed out doing and know that I have a deep passion for running and biking that was renewed when taken away.

2010-06-25 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
2010-06-25 12:52 PM

User image

All I can say is hang in there.  I broke my elbow on the way to do Escape from Alcatraz in May.  Despite knowing that my arm hurt quite a lot, I decided to do the race.  My doctor seemed a little bit upset about the fact that I went ahead and did the race and ended up telling me that I couldn't swim, bike or run for 6-8 weeks.  Luckily, it only took me 6 weeks to heal, but I just about went crazy during those 6 weeks.  It's hard coming back now, but I don't think I've lost a lot of fitness.  I had a half-Ironman on the schedule, but with losing those 6 weeks, I've had to scrap it.  I'm going to do an Olympic and call it a season I think.  Not my ideal plan, but it's better than nothing.  But, I also know that I just would have dragged the whole thing out further if I hadn't stopped swimming, biking and running for those few weeks.  It's not a lot in the scheme of things, even though I know first-hand how maddening it can be to feel like you're doing nothing!
2010-06-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2943770

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
DerekL - 2010-06-25 11:22 AM

PED's.

PEDs
2010-06-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2943691

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Really? I've never been to a lap pool that didn't have a pile of buoys with the kickboards and stuff.
2010-06-25 3:05 PM

User image

Not sure how effective it would be, but I always wanted to learn the speed bag.  There's a guy at our YMCA that gives free lessons on M/W/F, but those days I have masters class or other scheduled training.

2010-06-26 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Yoga would strengthen your core without pounding on your stress fracture (in addition to the swimming with a buoy).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injured: How Do I Reduce Fitness Loss And Not Turn Into A Complete Blob Rss Feed