Meridian Athletic Club
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 13m 57s
Overall Rank = 138/216
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/31
Pre-race routine:

Okay, on Thursday we became aware of a pretty big hurricane heading for the gulf and the local government officials started talking about evacuating. My wife said lets evacuate to Meridian, MS because they have a triathlon and since we were leaving anyway, I signed us up at the last minute. I was only able to get a guaranteed hotel for Friday and Saturday, but had a back up for Sunday a couple hours away with friends. We evacuated Friday afternoon and missed the predicted traffic jams. Checked into hotel and ate outback for dinner. We were not originally planning to do the race because the run was 5 miles and we don't seem to run well past 3 miles in the heat of summer.
Event warmup:

Swam maybe 50 yards.
Swim
  • 18m 3s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Results were preliminary, so they may need editing. They aren't on the net yet.

The start was one at a time every 5 seconds. Times were not seeded, it was by age group alphabetically. First time I have ever did this in open water. I felt good on the swim but didn't really capitalize on drafting opportunities. The turnaround buoy was a pretty long way out and my navigation on the way out wasn't great. On the way back, I was much better and even passed a couple of folks. I think the course could have been a little long but that could have been how I swam it.
What would you do differently?:

Just need swimming practice. I have let off on the swim and am paying for it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

You got to mount and dismount at the end of your rack. That was cool so I didn't bother with shoes on pedals. Good transition, no issues at all.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 7s
  • 21.2 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, this was a different experience. I am very happy with my ride but it was challenging. I hit 35 mph once and I also hit 8 mph. It was a constant yoyo. I am getting more compfortable on the P3 but I am not convinced it was the bike for this course. I usually rank higher on the bike but the competition here was a little tougher than many of the races we do as it was a regional club championship race.

I will fret over which bike to ride, but I am pretty happy with my race as we never get to train on this type of terrain.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

flawless
Run
  • 51m 53s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Very good run for me. The course was rolling hills on the first part and I felt good on this part. When I got to the bottom of the damn the sun came out of the clouds and it got hot but I pushed hard. At approx mile 4 you had to run up to the top of the dam for the last mile. That part was really tough. I could see my wife chasing me when I turned on the levy and I kept recalling her passing me at the finish last week so I pushed hard and actually extended my lead in the last mile. We just started picking up our run mileage about 2 weeks ago and I felt like it really helped. I am a big guy and my run really suffers in the heat but it didn't today. I think my overall run rank was really good for this distance relative to most of my races.

Run faster!!! Have to continue on run form and building speed. I still had some ankle pain at the end and that actually limits me more than aerobic capacity. My avg hr on the bike was higher than the run today which is very unusual.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered my wife in. They had a hose with a sprinkler hanging from a pole so I took a shower with my wife and some other people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim - Sighting and training effort
Bike - lack of experience on this type terrain
Run - I am slow

Event comments:

This was a super race. Cheering volunteers, 5 cold water stations, excellent police protection and lots of draft marshalls are just some of the hilites. The plaques for the winners and age groupers were also very nice, but we didn't get one.

The only knocks were they only had water on the run, for that distance powerade would have been nice. They also did not have mile markers.

As someone who races alot, I would recommend this race highly.

If your still reading, we went back to the hotel and based on the latest weather forecast we decided to go back to New Orleans so folks leaving Florida and Alabama could have the room. My family lives in Gulf Shores and they called at 6 tonite and are evacuating to my house now. 9 people and 2 dogs will be fun. I will update when results are posted.

Last updated: 2005-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:03 | 800 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/31
Overall: 146/216
Performance: Average
avg hr 149
Suit: QR Unitard
Course: Okitidibe Reservoir, next to the damn. Out and back 2 buoys
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:07 | 21.2 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/31
Overall: 87/216
156 avg
Wind: Some
Course: 3 mile loop across the damn and then back to the starting area, then a loop through local roads. Very hilly, some may call it rollers but it was the hilliest course I have ever ridden. Lots of curves and turns as well. The course was open to traffic but they had emergency vehicles and police protection on every turn (very well done).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:53 | 05 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/31
Overall: 172/216
avg hr 153
Course: ran out onto the bike route for 1.25, then back to the bottom of the damn and back across the damn.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-09 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Sunfish Triathlon

2005-07-10 12:00 PM
in reply to: #193934

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Sunfish Triathlon
congratulations to you and your wife! you did great!
2005-07-10 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race...amazing bike time..Hope you ahd fun.  Way to torn a hurricaine into a fun time   Take care -SMO
2005-07-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: #194176

User image

Elite
Texas

Wow. My bike goes that fast too. When it's strapped to my car.... Way to go!

2005-07-12 6:19 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Nice race report. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you had a great race. I hope your wife had fun as well. Your bike average was fantastic for the hilly terrain. The rest of your times were good too. It's nice to hear about your flawless T2.

Jen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunfish Triathlon Rss Feed