MultiSport Canada Triathlon
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 20m 53s
Overall Rank = 213/238
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up with a pounding headache, stuffed nose and puffy itchy eyes - Sweet!
Stomach didn't feel strong so drank some water & a Boost but didn't trust solid food. Drove to the site and got ready for the race.
Event warmup:

No matter how early I leave I seem to be walking up to the start line as I'm zipping up my wetsuit. Was hoping for a short swim but no luck.
Swim
  • 17m 4s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Just bought new goggles and did the whole spit inside them, got a good seal etc but it wasn't long before they started fogging up which made it VERY difficult to sight. I wish the buoys had been orange vs. green - I think that would have made it easier. The first leg was tough getting in to a groove. I hate wetsuits as no matter what steps I take I always feel the tightness around my neck. There were times when I felt crowded towards the shore with the weeds and would give an extra burst of energy to get away from the crowd and the shore. I wore my lap counter and started/stopped it for the swim. My actual time was 16:39:94 and my goal was 17min so I'm pleased with that.
What would you do differently?:

Should have swashed water in my goggles to avoid the fogging.

Need to learn how to sight without taking little breaks. Maybe it would have been better if I could have seen out of my goggles (vs. turning head to side to look out the side!!)

Not kick so hard - save my legs for the bike/run.
Transition 1
  • 06m 26s
Comments:

The transition time is actually divided into two parts. There was a 425m stretch between the swim exit and the transition entrance - gravel. I had prepared by bringing flip flops but they were hard to run in. Others wore sneakers with race laces - VERY SMART! My time for the "run" was 3:20.

Got to transition and those extra 4 pounds I've gained made it a REAL challenge getting the wetsuit off over my hips!! Felt as though I was moving in slow motion. Finally sat on the ground and tore it off. Then... silly me... I put on one cycling shoe and one runner!? Doh! Fixed that and then the rest was quick and got off to the exit.

Um... put the right shoes on!!

Seriously debating giving up on wetsuits.
Might try practice OWS without to see how it feels.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 53s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 16.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm so poky! I passed VERY few people but was passed by oodles - all of which were older. Very inspiring to see such fit older people. I hope I'm that fast at 50/60 etc. The ride was nice. My goal was to be consistent and keep my speed over 25km/hr.

I always love the spirit on the bike. People passing and saying encouraging things. Getting passed by Racer 237 only to pass him as he slowed to give someone with a flat his spare tube (then he passed me again).

I suspect a lot of the people in this race were using it to train for the HIM tomorrow - there was just a LOT of really nice gear and these people were FAST. Fun to watch.

Peddle faster!

Learn to drink from water bottle without pouring it down my chin and neck!
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Was a good transition - put the right shoes on :)
Run
  • 47m 56s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Was slow to start - maintaining a 10:20 pace but then at the half way mark I started to pick it up and finished strong running a 9:15-9:30. I was hoping to be able to run under a ten minute mile but I sort of knew halfway through the bike I wasn't going to hit the goal. I used my legs too much in the swim but still okay with this pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed my hubby and thanked him for hanging out - for the two hour race - but also the past 17 years (today is our anniversary).

Stayed to watch my friend finish her first try-a-tri.

Got to meet BT's Bopper and Patricia which was a pleasure!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ability I guess - I'm strong but slow - I need to get faster on the bike.

Event comments:

My only comment was that there were times I felt like I might be going the wrong way (run start and a part on the bike). More signs or volunteers directing traffic would be better.

Last updated: 2010-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:04 | 750 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 183/238
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Sleeveless
Course: A rectangular course swimming south along the shore for 305m, then turn right and across the canal (65m), north on the other side (320m) and across to the canal to the exit (60m). The swim was a time trial start with everyone lined up by bib # (youngest to oldest). You wade into the water and everyone starts 5 seconds apart.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:26
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:53 | 18.64 miles | 16.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 209/238
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Really pretty country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:56 | 04.66 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 205/238
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along canal and fitness trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-26 6:12 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: Welland Triathlon - Sprint

2010-06-28 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2945740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Welland Triathlon - Sprint

Great job!  And great story about the shoes!!  I got passed on the bike path the other day by a lady with curly grey hair.  What can ya do!!

2010-06-28 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2945740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Welland Triathlon - Sprint
great report..

i did this race last year.. and beside the gravel path, is a grass path.. much easier on the feet..

i wanted to do th HIM this year, but my wedding anniversary was on that day..

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed