Multisport Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 10s
Overall Rank = 167/269
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/23
Pre-race routine:

Set the alarm for 5 a.m.... and it didn't go off. Woke at 5:40... 10 minutes AFTER I wanted to be on the road. Quickly dressed, grabbed my transition bag (which I had already packed the night before), threw it in the car (which was already packed with the bike and everything I needed) and tore over to Tim Horton's to grab some food. Then raced to the race site.... 2 hours away. Made really good time (fortunately all the cops are in Toronto for the G8/G20 conference).

Got to site, took my bike to transition and was told I had to register first. Went and registered (slow line), picked up my packet, t-shirt, chip and body marked. Head back to transition and they are announcing that it's closing in 5 minutes. Rush around setting up my gear... stripped and put on tri-suit (no modesty here).... was out of transition just before they closed. Potty stop... and race over to the start. (I'm sweating already)
Event warmup:

Run around like a chicken with it's head cut off to register and set-up transition.
Swim
  • 16m 23s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

After all the rushing around... I get to the start line and it's just one big hurry up and wait. I got my wet suit on and then stood in line for 20 minutes waiting to start as they did their pre-race talk... I know it's for first timers, but truly annoying when you have to rush thru set-up to listen to something you've heard many times before.

My bib number was 266.... so I had a long wait to start. When I entered the water though... it took less then :30 to start swimming. Everything moved quickly. I set my pace and just cruised along. I passed a few people... was passed by a few and generally enjoyed a lovely swim. I tried to draft off a pair of feet, but they were wandering all over the place, so gave that up. If I could find someone that could swim a straight line, I would enjoy drafting... it sure is easier swimming in someone's wake.

Made the first turn buoy in less then 10 minutes I think... cut across to the next turn, and headed back down to the start. I only had to breast stroke once to get my bearings. My breathing was relaxed and my stroke was good. I am not fast, but I can maintain that speed for a long, LONG time. This was my fastest 750m swim in a race yet. I am exceedingly pleased, since I've only swam 2 or 3x since February. :)

On the turn back across the canal, I again had trouble with maintaining a straight line into the finish. The current tends to push you downstream and I keep forgetting this and end up having to do way more correcting then I'd like. IF I do this race again, I'll try and aim for the buoy to the right of the start so I can end up at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Find a pair of feet to draft that doesn't wander all over the place.
Sight better into the finish.
Transition 1
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

The time was split between the 450m run up to transition (3:05) and the transition time (2:35). This 450m run from the finish of the swim to the transition, to me that's cruel and unusual punishment for a triathlon. Wogged my way to transition in my shoes... which I had left at the end of the swim... and made my way to my bike. Suit was stuck on my heels... but that could be because I had no time to put on glide. No worries... not trying to win the race.

While in transition, I took my time to get everything on and ready. Had some nutrition and eLoad... and I was off.

Run more.
Bike
  • 51m 26s
  • 30 kms
  • 35.00 km/hr
Comments:

As is my want... I hammered this bike out pretty well. Coming out of transition, I mounted smoothly and began the progression of passing. Because of the time trial start, everyone was spread out evenly, so I always had some one to set my sights on. The roads weren't crowded with big bunches of people. I only had one instance of passing two cyclists, while one was passing the other. When you're going 5 km/h faster though... it's not a big issue.

For the first 15 km, I kept the cadence high and the effort low because we were heading into the light breeze, yet I was maintaining 33 km/h for the most part. This kept my legs fresh. When I turned around, I put the hammer down, but didn't over do it. Still kept the cadence high but I was using bigger gears.

Get to the race earlier so I can prep properly. I didn't have any nutrition on the bike other then my eLoad and water... and that wasn't enough.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Took my time, put socks on and ate some more. Drank some eLoad and took off.

See bike... need nutrition on bike to avoid having to eat in transition.
Run
  • 50m 41s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 06m 46s  min/km
Comments:

Now we come to the death march. I started out ok... had to walk every 5 minutes or so, but that was expected. At first aid station I stopped to get some more Infinit (race fuel) and water... drank Infinit and dumped water on my head. Continued this for the first 3k.. then there was a LONG gap between aid stations and that was bad. It wasn't hot, but it was extremely humid and by the time I got to the next aid station I was suffering. My legs were close to cramping, I was having chills (dehydrated), yet I was smoking hot and sweating like crazy. I ended doing a lot more walking then I wanted... but I finished on the run. I had nothing left to chase down the guy that blew by me going into the finishing shute.

Run training would be nice... unfortunately, the achilles tendon is still not good. I felt it tightening up during the run and that's another reason I walked a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to the arena... get some food, sit down and rest.

Last updated: 2010-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:23 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/23
Overall: 160/269
Performance: Good
Time Trial start.... this is the most civilized way to start a tri... there is not battling for position and very little body contact. With 300+ athletes, one leaving every 5 seconds, it takes about the same length of time to start a race as doing wave starts. Everyone I talked to, loves this start method.
Suit: Nineteen Frequency Full sleeve
Course: Rectangular course in the Welland Recreational Waterway. No wind, not a strong current, clear water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:36
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:26 | 30 kms | 35.00 km/hr
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 45/269
Kept my HR in the 130-140 range... but I didn't feel as if I was working overly hard.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back along the feeder canal outside of Welland towards Wainfleet. Very, VERY flat. The only "hill" was a railway overpass and an underpass, just out of the rec complex. I can't even, in good conscience, call it a hill.... slight rise. I like this bike course though... it's very fair for all... because YOU have to do the work... gravity doesn't play any part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:41 | 07.5 kms | 06m 46s  min/km
Age Group: 23/23
Overall: 214/269
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along the recreation waterway. Paved paths, a few trees.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-26 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Baden
Subject: Welland Triathlon

2010-06-26 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2945867

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Welland Triathlon
You really hammered that bike out alright... But, why not, if that's your strongest suit? 35km/hr average??? Wow.
I'm surprised you felt you needed some nutrition on the bike, but I guess everybody is different.
Congratulations! Well done!
2010-06-27 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Silver member
Great report. Yeah, your run wasn't flash-like, but look at what you've been through! I don't think anyone should eat in transition. your heart rate is too high (or should be). On the bike food - even the liquid kind is the best way to set up your run.
Of course, you would have had a more pleasant experience if you were not rushing...but then there is the other extreme that I always do...get there too early.
Well done Kevin. Learn from everything, never stop moving. Get that Greek out of your heel.
2010-06-27 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2945946

User image

Master
Baden

markz - 2010-06-26 10:24 PM You really hammered that bike out alright... But, why not, if that's your strongest suit? 35km/hr average??? Wow.
I'm surprised you felt you needed some nutrition on the bike, but I guess everybody is different.
Congratulations! Well done!

At that effort level... if you don't get in some nutrition during the ride, you end up really suffering in the run. That is exactly what happened. I normally would take in something every 20 minutes and drink every 10 or so. I'm a big guy and I'm pushing some serious watts... it takes energy to do that. No worries... I'm happy with the bike and the swim... the run I knew would be a sufferfest.

2010-06-27 11:16 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Never Never Land
Gold member

great report and great effort Kevin!  you did what your body allowed and got it done!  i would have been freaking out on the waking up late

2010-06-28 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB

Well done Kevin!  That was a great bike!  Considering your past year and running you did extremely well. Good job getting through it. 

2010-06-29 7:01 AM

Uxbridge
Very Nice Kevin!!! I love tea parties in transition

As hard as the run was...you had a great rcae.
2011-07-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2950073

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Great bike split Kevin.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon Rss Feed