General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fell apart! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-28 8:22 AM

Subject: Fell apart!
I am brand new to this site and looking for some help.  I just, sort of, finished my second sprint triathlon of the season and had similar results.  I FELL APART on the last few miles of the bike and crashed on the run.  

Background - Trained for this event pretty hard.  Lots of interval training, brick sessions, and endurance rides and runs.  Was already in good shape, even before I got into triathlons, so exercise is not new to me.  Always seem to struggle with sustained energy and endurance though.

Race - This sprint was a long one. 1/2 mile swim, 17 mile bike, 3 mile run.  Temperature was 95 degree's and very humid.  I hydrated heavily a few days before the race and carbed up the best that I could.   

I think my biggest problem on race day was a complete FAILURE to maintain energy and hydration.  I sweat more than most people and felt energy depleted coming out of the water.  By the time I hit the bike I was sluggish, so obviously the run was a disaster.  Yeah, I swam to hard!  Only had time to drink the water bottle on my bike and down a hammer gel pack while biking.  Not nearly enough.

QUESTION - What can I do prior to, and during, the race to ensure that I have energy to burn?  Every race I've been in thus far I start cramping because I dehydrate so much faster than other people.  

2010-06-28 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2947658

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Fell apart!
95 and humid?
It may not have been hydration.  It may just have been overheating.  Your body probably shut down because it needed to to protect itself.

If you ate and drank along the way, it probably wasn't a hydration problem as much as it was just too high of a body temperature. 

95 and humid is a brutal, possibly even unsafe environment for high level sustained aerobic activity.  Tell me it was sunny as well, and all bets are off.
2010-06-28 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
MA
It's a pacing issue given your fitness and weather conditions.

Cramping is usually a fitness issue not a dehydration issue as a sprint is pretty short to get dehydrated even if it is hot and humid.
2010-06-28 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Newport News
What is your nutrition like in the days leading up to the race? 
What liquids are you taking in before, during the race?  I'm a heavy sweater as well and My electrolite levels diminish significantly in high heat. 
2010-06-28 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
How far is your long run for the week?  I find this is a great pre-cursor to what I'll expend for a sprint distance tri.  In comparison, I "might" ingest 4oz. of water for a sprint.  On my 7mi. run, Saturday, I maybe took in 8oz. (and was good and hydrated, beforehand).

I can't help but think - If I get dehydrated during a sprint, I haven't done a good job of hydrating, beforehand.  I can't imagine myself trying to stay ahead of dehydration (by ingesting water/sports drinks in a +/- 1.5hr race), DURING a race.

Maybe I'm a freak.

And, I sweat as much or more than your average bear.

Edited by nc452010 2010-06-28 8:38 AM
2010-06-28 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I might be wrong but.. sounds like a pacing issue to me.  I did the same thing my last sprint.  I was middle of the pack coming out of the water and felt good, starting passing folks on the bike and got myself amped up and by the end of the bike there was no "juice" left :D.  My run ended up about 7 minutes slower than I originally wanted and felt like I was killing myself to do that

2010-06-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2947722

Veteran
Wisconsin
jamgam - 2010-06-28 8:45 AM I might be wrong but.. sounds like a pacing issue to me.

This was my first thought also. Lack of pacing.
2010-06-28 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
I'm also going to say that it was most likely a pacing issue.

Take a look at your logs.  Did you ever train at the type of effort and/or speed that you raced at?  It's very easy to overdo it on the swim and bike-- believe me, I've been there, done that.  Triathlons are exciting events!  Energy is high, nerves are all over the place... there are people 'watching' you race.  It's difficult, especially in the first few years of doing the sport, to really get a handle on how to pace for each distance.  You will learn from each race experience and pacing will come with time & training and general biofeedback.

The heat, well... it's tough out there this time of the year.  I'm very heat intolerant and I just happen to live in Florida (double whammy).  I do all of my training outside and still suffer pretty much year-round.  However, for a sprint distance race, I wouldn't blame a blow-up on the heat (at least not entirely).  It's almost too short of a distance to dehydrate that severely-- at least in my opinion.  I really do think that you just had a pacing problem and that you will see improvement with time.

Congrats to you on your finish!
2010-06-28 1:00 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
where are you located, where was the race? what time did the race start?

i live in florida so i experience the heat only reason for asking.  95 sounds little high if it was an early race, i do belive in the humidity.  and fyi your body is actually having a harder time to sweat in a humid place, that is why its harder to cool off.

as far as performance if it was truely that hot, its a reason for the blow up.  you went out too hard for the heat.  its hard to know that for your 2nd tri its something you have to train and experience.  i doubt you went so hard on the swim that it caused you to loose energy on the bike, unless the water was extremely choppy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fell apart! Rss Feed