General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody have tricep pain in aero position? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-29 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Anybody have tricep pain in aero position?
I have a Specialized Roubaix that I put aero bars on.  Last year no issues, but then I switched bars and have really bad tricep pain.  I can barely stay in the aero position.  I replaced the bars with my old ones and a little better.  I went to my LBS who did my pro fit and they did everything possible (within limits of the frame size, etc) to get me comfortable but nothing stops it.  

Honestly I can stay in the aero position for about 6 minutes then I have to go into the drops for a bit.  Could it just be an issue with a road bike having aero bars on it?  Am I doing something wrong?  My LBS said my form looked good (although he can't get my elbows to 90 degrees on a road frame).  I lift religiously so I'm in VERY good strength condition.  UGH.  

Thanks for any input you may have.   

2010-06-29 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2952019

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Anybody have tricep pain in aero position?
How far are you stretched out on the road frame?  Usually you feel that more in your lats than your triceps, but it could be a problem.

Also if your seat / seat position is uncomfortable, you may find yourself "holding up" instead of relaxing on the aero bars.  Same thing if you tend to slide forward while riding.  Do you find that you keep forcing yourself back on the seat?
2010-06-30 5:06 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I don't have pain but my triceps do get tired after a while in aero.  Same type setup as you, road bike with clipons.  Sorry I have no suggestions for what to do about it but as the summer is progressing, I can stay in aero for longer and longer.
2010-06-30 5:43 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
As a previous poster noted, it sounds like you may be too stretched out on your aerobars. Ideally, your elbows joint should form pretty close to a 90 degree angle, so that it is your skeleton, and not your muscles, that are holding your upper body up, if that makes sense.... That position might be hard to achieve on a road bike with clip ons, but you might try adjusting your fit by sliding your saddle forward and up a bit. You could also try a Fast Forward seat post to help shift your center of gravity more forward on the bike. Just be careful if your making adjustments to your fit on your own, and only make small adjustments at a time. It might help to mark where your seat post and saddle rails to show where you started out in case your changes don't feel right and you want to get back to where you started.
2010-06-30 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2952396

Master
, California
Also if your elbow rests are positioned inward too much, it puts some strain on your shoulders.  Yeah it's a better aero position to have them in, but not worth it if you're in pain on a long ride.  Try moving them out a tad.
2010-06-30 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I bought the PD FF seat post.  $110  Surprised  At least its lighter than my specialized carbon one, but then again, anything is lighter than specialized carbon stuff.  I also dropped my handlebar height, played with the shim angels and thought I got my elbows close to the 90 degrees.  Then I did a 10 mile ride and not so much.  The adjustments hurt my knees and my tris burned badly.  

Here's why my plans are.  I'm going to go out and test ride the Felt Tri bike and see how it rides, etc.  As I said before the B12 will only cost me $1500 after my friend buys my road bike.  I won't make a decision on the bike today since a shop an hour away has a couple different sizes in Cervelo P2, which are impossible to find around me.  I'm going to check those out maybe friday just to drool over the sexy lines (and test ride it).  That bike shop talked more about teh fit process than bike size which is a good sign.  

After that I'll contemplate having another LBS size my road bike with aerobars. It's another $200 but if it works that $1300 to spend on other bike stuff.  Laughing  or save. Frown

2010-06-30 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
I actually had the reverse problem of some posters here.  I was too cramped and my lower triceps, just above my elbows were burning like crazy.  I rode road bikes that were too stretched out for me for too long and just default to bringing the bars as close as possible now.  I actually had a pro fit done (it was ok, not great) and tweaked it myself by pushing the seat forward to try to hit 90 degrees.  Bad idea.  But, after my bike got crunched by a Dodge Caravan, insurance bought be a new one and a new pro fit.  i told him about the problem and he told me to trust him and he stretched me out a bit, and because of my body, wanted my elbows at a greater than 90 degree angle.  I've trusted him, and aside from normal fatigue, its 100% better.
2010-06-30 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I test rode the Felt B12.  First time on a tri bike and WOW is that a different feeling.  I now know the difference between muscle support and skeleton support.  The tri bike had my tris relaxed.  VERY comfortable and that was even before any type of pro fit.  Almost bailed trying to shift since not use to the shifters on the end.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody have tricep pain in aero position? Rss Feed