Race Day Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 4s
Overall Rank = 5/99
Age Group = 25-29 male
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early as usual, ate my breakfast, did what needed done, drove to the site early. Wanted to ride the course since the very beginning of the bike was a bit technical (and confusing - more on that)

Got a spot in transition, talked to some people I knew and some I didn't... just enjoyed the morning.
Event warmup:

Rode a bit of the bike course to get a feel for it and the roughness of the road, plotted my route and headed back in.
Gulped my GU and swam some laps, got ready for the start.
Swim
  • 02m 31s
  • 150 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim still isn't where I wish it was, but it's developing nicely... I probably should have just sprint this distance, but I didn't... live and learn.
What would you do differently?:

Sprint through one this short.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Goggles off, Helmet, shoes on, grab the bike and out of T1. Went smooth the whole way.

I've been working on leaving my shoes clipped in the pedals... and I'm (currently) faster this way... so I'm not sure what to do. Run faster to my spot.
Bike
  • 27m 13s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Sadly, this is where things came apart for me. I come to the red light at the bottom of the end of the technical part... there is a cop directing traffic... there is another guy riding in front of me. There are signs pointing straight, and signs pointing right...

• ..I think right is the correct way.
  • ..The guy in front of me goes straight.
  • ..The cop doesn't yell at him.
  • ...I go straight. About 20 seconds down the road I realize this is not the right way. I yell at the other guy we are turned around. We both U-turn and head back onto the course (the right way)I am now mid pack... Time to turn up the pace. I put my head down and power my way back into 5th overall, pushing right to my limit about mile 7, however, the rest of the way is downhill basically, and I recover a bit through the technical return.

NOT second guess myself. I guess it's a bad habit you pick up riding with a group often...you follow the guy in front of you... oh well. It ended up costing me about a minute, but hey, I still had a pretty decent average mph ;)

Transition 2
    • 01m 31s
    Comments:

As I'm coming off the bike the guy at the dismount line comments on what a strong ride I must have had. Thanks guy, you made me feel better about being an idiot earlier.

Running shoes on, I grab my visor, glasses, race belt and water bottle and head out...the wrong way! Crap! I turn around and head AROUND the bike racks, over beside the pool, into the pool's gate... which is, again, THE WRONG WAY! WTF. Seriously, if you are going to make Transition confusing, put somebody in Transition to tell people where to go. Finally, I get out on the right course!

Sigh... I guess it's my own fault. PAY MORE ATTENTION to where I have to go to get out of T2.
    Run
    • 17m 59s
    • 2.49 miles
    • 07m 14s  min/mile
    Comments:

Ran pretty hard (for me) but when I saw that I was too far behind to catch the top 3 overall, I slowed down a bit (I had a 2 hour run scheduled later in the day... yes I got it in too) and pushed just hard enough to make sure I didn't lose any ground. Sprinted the last little bit as I was passed by one of the relay guys.

Nothing I can think of, it was a pretty solid run for me without going into the red.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Used the pool's shower (the pool was too hot) to cool down, grabbed some snacks and talked with the family. Cheered the others I had talked to that day, and took my bike back to the Truck. Hung out, had fun.

Waited around, got my Backpack for coming in first (AG) and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time in the Saddle
    Time Pounding the Pavement
    Time in the Water

... and Intelligence ;)

Event comments:

For a Race Day Event... this one was a bit "thrown together" feeling. Usually everything from RDE is A+... this one needed a couple more volunteers and maybe some better planning on the Transition area. However, it is a first year event... I'm sure it will be better next year.

Last updated: 2010-06-04 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:02:31 | 150 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
    Age Group: 0/
    Overall: 22/99
    Performance: Good
    Suit:
    Course: Snake Pool, TT start. Probably seeded myself a bit too conservatively.
    Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
    Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
    200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
    Breathing: Good Drafting:
    Waves: Navigation:
    Rounding:
    T1
    Time: 00:52
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: Yes
    Getting up to speed: Good
    Biking
    00:27:13 | 10 miles | 22.05 mile/hr
    Age Group: 1/
    Overall: 5/99
    Wind: Little
    Course: Just a bit of technical stuff at the beginning (nothing major) otherwise it was pretty much flat and fast... good pavement the majority of the way too.
    Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
    Turns: Good Cornering: Good
    Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
    Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 01:31
    Overall: Below average
    Riding w/ feet on shoes
    Jumping off bike Good
    Running with bike Good
    Racking bike Good
    Shoe and helmet removal Good
    Running
    00:17:59 | 02.49 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
    Age Group: 1/
    Overall: 9/99
    Course: There is absolutely NO way this course was 3 miles. I think it may have been a bit longer than a 4k, but No way it was 3mi. I don't run 5:xx in an open 5k, so I see no way I could have done it off the bike. The course itself, fairly scenic, nothing much to say about it.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 3
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? No
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
    2010-06-29 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
    Knoxville area
    Subject: Panther Prowl

2010-06-29 9:31 PM
    in reply to: #2952095

User image

Veteran
    Seattle, Washington
    Subject: RE: Panther Prowl
    You got off course twice and still got 5th overall!!  That's amazing, good job!
    2010-06-30 9:30 AM
    in reply to: #2952095

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Crossville, TN
    Subject: RE: Panther Prowl
    Great race! If I woudn't have been running on one leg, due to a bad hammy, I might have been up there with you. I thought this was one of the better RDE they have had. Kevin relies on to many volunteers to do his work. The run map shows the course to be a 4K.
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Panther Prowl Rss Feed